What's new

I thought circuit breakers had a way to reset them?

Member Number
Loc
OC, CA
I bought a 7 terminal Painless Wiring fuse block with relays. It comes with two of these circuit breakers. I thought circuit breakers gave you the ability to reset them? Are these meant to be sacrificial in the unlikely event they actually get tripped?

Attachments

• IMG_3454.jpg
    IMG_3454.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3455.jpg
    IMG_3455.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, auto reset.

I don't like them and I don't use them. If you pop a breaker it could be because something bad happened. If you're not an observant person you might not even realize something is cycling on/off every five minutes, then 2 hours later shit's on fire.

It's also nice to have the ability to open a breaker (turn a breaker off) for troubleshooting reasons, or to simply bypass something that is not needed or is causing problems. Good example is the automatic glow plug circuit on a diesel. It's nice to be able to turn off a breaker to save your battery from all the work of cycling the plugs maybe if you have a poor battery and a hot engine.

The " Are these meant to be sacrificial in the unlikely event they actually get tripped?" things are called fuses.

Yeah, auto reset.

I don't like them and I don't use them. If you pop a breaker it could be because something bad happened. If you're not an observant person you might not even realize something is cycling on/off every five minutes, then 2 hours later shit's on fire.

It's also nice to have the ability to open a breaker (turn a breaker off) for troubleshooting reasons, or to simply bypass something that is not needed or is causing problems. Good example is the automatic glow plug circuit on a diesel. It's nice to be able to turn off a breaker to save your battery from all the work of cycling the plugs maybe if you have a poor battery and a hot engine.

The " Are these meant to be sacrificial in the unlikely event they actually get tripped?" things are called fuses.
I'll replace these with some I can manually reset.

The only sort of place for these is trailer brakes. If you heat them up too bad they will reset when you get driving again. A normal CB you might not notice it pop since you can't see your brakes working.

However any modern brake controller should show you an error so you know something went wrong. That was the standard back when most of them might have a single indicator light

These might be overkill depending on what it is (buggy vs kid‘s go kart), but they are awesome. Mine has been exposed in the bow of my skiff in saltwater for the last 3 years.

Top Back Refresh