What's new

I need a sign.

Something like this:

It's the sort of thing that will give people a bit of pause...
Reminds me of this scene:
hqdefault.jpg

Okie doke. Tackled this today with mixed results.

Loaded up the mobile fabrication unit:

uubXw0F.jpg

DQy3ClK.jpg

Drilled some holes and welded a bracket thing:

zHSMC09.jpg

j9gc5gH.jpg

Mounted to the beams:

IQ1NAmb.jpg

IJLpRIG.jpg

Was going to tack weld those lags in there, but it took my 1/2" drive 110AC gun to get them in there. My cordless M18 didn't have the balls to drive them in there. Predrilled, too.

Cracked open the box with the sign. Apparently they have ev13wt operating the typewriter at the sign factory:

mL7fh9i.jpg

So we're going to have to return that and get the proper wording. Beyond me how you fuck that up.

Totally not a structural thing. Just deterrent to stop people from simply dropping the chain and driving up. We'll see what happens.

When we moved out onto the property, we installed an automatic gate at the road. One day a FedEx driver pulls in, tries a factory default code and starts up the driveway (my bad). My BIL stops him, scolds him, and turns him around. Time goes by, another FedEx driver stops and somehow gets past the gate and walks up the driveway. Same BIL reams this driver (Eastern Europe guy). A year or two later, Mrs is home getting ready for work. The dogs start going apeshit so Mrs lets them out. As she is closing the screen door she sees a FedEx guy walking back to the road with our pits on a intercept course. He’s ready to shit himself when he sees the dogs closing in on him, Mrs calls the dogs off and tells the driver, “Leave the fucking packages at the gate! :mad3:

No packages have been past the gate since that day

"trespassers will be sprayed by Super Soaker filled with piss"

We have a second gate farther up the drive way. I want to put a sign on it that says, YOU ARE NOW IN RANGE (with bullet holes of course)

What would be the benefit of "real" chain over this chain for a simple gate? :confused:

I will tell you this much. I go to a lot of homes, knocking on doors asking permission to hunt predators on their land. Those properties with a ton of signs that read some crazy stuff, and look mostly hand painted make me turn around and leave and head to the next property. However, I legit don't want to be greeted with a 12 gauge pointed at me, and I'm not a criminal or FED EX driver. :laughing:

If you want your packages left at the gate, then you NEED a sign stating so. Like others have said, if you want to be contacted beforehand, you need to leave your number (hopefully there is cell service at your driveway entrance, because we don't have any cell service on our road so something like that would be pointless), with a note stating it's a private drive. Then I would add signs along the driveway that say crazy stuff, like TRESPASSERS WILL BE KILLED painted in red, KEEP OUT OR DIE, DO YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE? TURN AROUND, you get the idea.

I should've taken pics of this one property. Dude literally had signs like this all over the entry door to his house, and his house was only 30' or so off the road...I didn't even bother knocking. Just left.

I'm just curious why you had to drag all that shit out there to "fabricate" your new "chain gate" on site. You couldn't just make those two plates at your house then take them out there and put it all up?

I think I could break your chain with a bicycle.

We don't get anything delivered to the property. We don't even have a mailbox.

The sign place got right back to me and are sending a new sign. So that's good.

I'm not posting up a bunch of signs along the driveway. Too cheesy. Just a simple gate, simple lock, and two signs is all I'm really looking at now. I thought the chain would stop people for sure. I'd never approach a property that is chained off, and simply just drop the chain on my own accord. But for some people that's normal I guess. The lock there is just to prevent that from happening.

I'm just curious why you had to drag all that shit out there to "fabricate" your new "chain gate" on site. You couldn't just make those two plates at your house then take them out there and put it all up?

I think I could break your chain with a bicycle.

Eh, because I could. Its a long ass walk back and forth. I knew I'd mess something up and have to keep walking to and from. So I brought everything down there. Worked out great actually.

As for the chain, its merely just to block the road off. I was originally just going to use rope. I'm not trying to prevent people from cutting it or whatever. Just simply to make people stop coming up here thinking its a road or something.

In for a bigger gate chain... That way you could whip trespassers into jelly-

One of our local hotels had a sign, to bad it ;s gone now. NO TREPSASSING! VOLATORS WILLl BE PROSALUTED!. Someone had a sense of hummer.

That chain cracked me up too.

Seriously, don't you have oil and gas access gates where you live? I could drive around for 10 min and have a few pics of simple ass gates you could make in an afternoon. Kind of like this one, but most are made of drill stem, simple, sturdy, and will do the job you're looking for. For added security, just hang a oil company sign on it for the gray man effect. Lock it daily. And be done. My folks had one on their place for probably 10 years and never a problem.
d6.jpg

That chain cracked me up too.

Seriously, don't you have oil and gas access gates where you live? I could drive around for 10 min and have a few pics of simple ass gates you could make in an afternoon. Kind of like this one, but most are made of drill stem, simple, sturdy, and will do the job you're looking for. For added security, just hang a oil company sign on it for the gray man effect. Lock it daily. And be done. My folks had one on their place for probably 10 years and never a problem.

Eh, if it comes to that I'll put something up. Honestly, I'm not worried about people breaking through the chain with their vehicle. If something like that happens, I have other problems. Its just there to hang a sign to stop people thinking its a road. The lock is just there to prevent people from dropping the chain. This whole thing is not meant to be structural at all.

I thought the chain would stop people for sure. I'd never approach a property that is chained off, and simply just drop the chain on my own accord. But for some people that's normal I guess. The lock there is just to prevent that from happening.

You gonna break that chain if you drop it!!! :flipoff2::flipoff2:

so the folks that are taking the chain down and entering, is the chain simply looped around or hooked on to something and they are simply lifting the chain off? or is the chain locked and securely fastened and they are cutting the chain?

so the folks that are taking the chain down and entering, is the chain simply looped around or hooked on to something and they are simply lifting the chain off? or is the chain locked and securely fastened and they are cutting the chain?

Before they would just unhook it and drive up. Got it locked now to stop that from happening.

Before they would just unhook it and drive up. Got it locked now to stop that from happening.

I'd just roll with that. Might be a bit more inconvenient when you have people coming over legitimately, but I'd take that. How far is the chain/lock from your house? Easy enough to see? or farther?

Could also put some stakes in the ground with skulls and spines on them. You know "Halloween decorations" :laughing:

Top Back Refresh