What's new

I Guess I am Getting Back into Archery

Grnd93

The Dude
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
My brother left his crossbow and compound bow in my mom’s basement. After he passed she told me I might as well take them.

crossbow is a Centerpoint Sniper

compound bow is a Browning Super X-Celerator.

I used to shoot back in my younger days. Not sure what’s new, if anything.

I have never shot a crossbow before. Looking forward to learning.

I need to pick up some bolts for the crossbow and arrows for the Browning...and some hay bales and targets.

if anyone has any experience or info on
my two new acquisitions let me know.

It's the same just way easier now, cams are completely different than 20 years ago. Crossbows are insane now too. Worth taking in if they've been sitting a while. Have fun and sorry about your brother

I need another bow.

I used to target shoot back when I was a kid. I used it as a form of therapy for lack of a better explanation. My bow was lost in one of many moves 🙁

Our neighbor called the Sheriff on me once. I showed the Deputy my “range”, and my technique. Deputy basically told the neighbor to pound sand, I wasn’t breaking any laws or doing anything wrong :flipoff2:

I bought myself a Bowtech Carbon Icon last year. Neat setup. Got myself a turkey with it last season.

If you do outdoor practice, get some arrows that are no natural colors. Mine are now all blue so their easier to spot when I miss the target doing hero shots. :homer:

I bought myself a Bowtech Carbon Icon last year. Neat setup. Got myself a turkey with it last season.

If you do outdoor practice, get some arrows that are no natural colors. Mine are now all blue so their easier to spot when I miss the target doing hero shots. :homer:

Luma nocks

Nothing like looking for a camouflaged arrow in the fall leaves and the fletchings are yellow and orange. :laughing:

If the compound bow is the wooden recurve style riser with double round wheel cams deal, I’d pass on it from a hunting standpoint unless you really have a goal to kill something with it in honor of your brother. By the time you get a new string and arrows for it, and it adjusted for you if it’s even possible to do so, you’ll be way behind just getting set up with something modern. Hang it on the wall of your man cave or shoot it at backyard targets for fun.

I'm with ^^^^. Hang the bow on the wall. the Crossbow is a good choice though. I have that one. I use PileDrivers in it. The extra weight quiets it's down a little. You can use shorter bolts in it, but I opted for the longer ones. Again, extra weight. Stuck a PSE scope on it and so far, I can hit one inch dots out to about 70 yards with it. Forget hay bales. You'll blow through them. Get a cross bow specific target. I like the Yellowjacket bag. It's been the easiest to remove arrows and bolts from.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/morrell-yellow-jacket-crossbow-field-point-bag-target

That bow is a collector piece. I know nothing about cross bows.
A LOT has changed in the last 20yrs. If you want to get back into archery, I'd suggest a newer bow.
Sorry about your brother.

I'm with ^^^^. Hang the bow on the wall. the Crossbow is a good choice though. I have that one. I use PileDrivers in it. The extra weight quiets it's down a little. You can use shorter bolts in it, but I opted for the longer ones. Again, extra weight. Stuck a PSE scope on it and so far, I can hit one inch dots out to about 70 yards with it. Forget hay bales. You'll blow through them. Get a cross bow specific target. I like the Yellowjacket bag. It's been the easiest to remove arrows and bolts from.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/morrell-yellow-jacket-crossbow-field-point-bag-target

Went and picked up the target you suggested today. Unfortunately it’s windy and shitty outside today, so no shooting for me.

Got to do some shooting today. Only lost 1 bolt in the field. I’ll look a bit better for it tomorrow.

Keep your fingers out of the triangle!!! A decocking arrow is a good investment as well.

Top Back Refresh