What's new

Hydraulic gear pump/motor as a steering pump?

I linked a 500w motor. That's 2/3 a HP. Do you think it takes 2/3 HP to turn a steering wheel in a boat?

Gear it down anyway with the belt because you want finer resolution out of it and not hi speed turning.

OP is looking to take out the slop or whatever with a ram, rather than do that I'd just make it so the fucking boat steered itself and gave me a ton of additional cool guy fetures.

like setting a waypoint on my phone and having the boat steer itself there.
or setting a point on the map and telling the boat to hold it's position.
or loiter in a circle.

nothing there is rocket science. It's literally already baked into the APM software.

the only thing to figure out is how to hook a motor to the steering wheel, and that's been done.
wheelchair motors were popular for it.
if the motor dies you still have a steering wheel. nobody is saying remove the steering wheel.

edit:
position hold would require throttle control by the APM as well.

edit edit:
I'd get the steering position information from the steering wheel anyway, I wouldn't try to mount shit at the transom for that.

Last edited:
I linked a 500w motor. That's 2/3 a HP. Do you think it takes 2/3 HP to turn a steering wheel in a boat?

Gear it down anyway with the belt because you want finer resolution out of it and not hi speed turning.

OP is looking to take out the slop or whatever with a ram, rather than do that I'd just make it so the fucking boat steered itself and gave me a ton of additional cool guy fetures.

like setting a waypoint on my phone and having the boat steer itself there.
or setting a point on the map and telling the boat to hold it's position.
or loiter in a circle.

It's not the power that's the issue it's the torque. You need something with beef to push/pull that stern-drive around. If you just attach a belt driven motor to the existing helm then you haven't cured the slop. Sure you can use your electronics to dial in a course and it will adjust for the slop and hold it for you but that doesn't solve the issue for all the times you want to manually drive the boat in a straight line. It's like turning on cruise control because your throttle cable binds half the time.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh