What's new

Hydraulic Gear Pullers?

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
Just discovered these on amazon.

Why have I never seen one? They look awesome.

These ones have two jaw option (4 lugs on the spider) the Harbor Freight ones only have 3 lugs, not that it matters because no Harbor Freight here.

718zXzhUEFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a harbor freight one. Used it twice and had success both times. Seems like the travel was pretty short so had to be careful with setups.

I have the larger of Harbor Freight options. Actually bought it for an extra stubborn Jeep pitman arm, I had already broken a Lisle pitman arm puller on the job. I wound up not being able to use hydraulic puller for the pitman arm though. I decided to hold on to it for when Future Lee finds himself needing it, instead of returning it.

It's really big, the teeth/fingers on the jaws are pretty chubby, you need a lot of clearance behind whatever you're pulling for the fingers to fit behind it. Couldn't fit between the pitman arm and the steering box on a TJ. I've got an Amazon or HF 3 jaw puller set with some jaws that I've ground down to fit tight spots, but I couldn't get them to work with the hydraulic puller, too small and too much slop to get them to stay on. No matter how I held my mouth I couldn't overcome gravity.

I'm sure there's a use case and I'm sure I'll be glad I have it when I finally find one.

I was replacing the steering box, so I said screw it, and got out the torch. It took a lot of heat, A LOT of persuasion with my mini Mjolnir, and another pitman arm puller from the parts store, but I finally got it.

Look at the "Vevor" branded shit that's coming in hot out of asia now.

They have a couple of options that look decent.

I have the fancy name brand 10t at work.

I works like a mother fucker.
4 lugs is important because dependi g on what youre grabbing 3 doesnt always work.

It will but big ass industrial brg housings.

I have been eyeballing those for a while. Keep buying other shit though:laughing:

We use Posi-loc caged pullers and stack them onto Enerpac cylinders if we need that level of pulling force.

Used one a couple times. Works, but the hydraulics also makes it heavier and more awkward to use than a threaded puller. Can't get it tight and then smack the head with a hammer either, nor use too much heat with one.

Top Back Refresh