What's new

HVLP guns

cj3a

Member Number
Loc
NJ
What is the tricks on getting these things to spray well? It loves to throw lumps.

(Untitled)

Are you using a filter? What kind of paint are you using? It may need to be thinned.

Tractor supply primer 1.8 tip, Two filters and then a desiccant dryer with a regular/filter on the outlet.

(Untitled)

You might try thinning it or getting a bigger tip and running some tests.

The Majik stuff from TSC? Thin it out. I sprayed some of their enamel pretty well with a cup gun a few weeks ago.

Try adding some reducer, make sure it's mixed up longer than you think it needs to be, and fill your gun using a cone filter to make sure the chunks are out.

The majic sandable primer is anything bu sandable. It is clogging up the paper. Not fun.

Dry, I have more work to do so I don’t want a mess

I haven't used Majik's primer, but i had issues sanding eastwood epoxy primer dry with too high a grit. I sanded up to I think 100 grit dry before top-coating, anything more than that would clog quick

I ended up buying a harbor freight 6 DA with some 120 grit paper and powered thru. I am not sure this tractor supply paint is worth it. Next time I will try Benjamin Moore or something along those lines. But the bandsaw is done.

photo24973.jpg

I've had great luck with the two cans of TSC paint I've sprayed.

I'm using a pressure gun though.

reducer + hardener in accordance with the instructions, and it lays down nicely. :smokin:

I used TSC paints and primers to redo my grandfathers 9n. I used a cheap harbor freight hvlp gun and a 1.4 tip. I had no issues with clumps.
I’m no expert, but I’d suggest thinning, smaller tip, and filtering a couple of times before loading the gun

Paint seems OK, sprayed well with a 1.3 tip. Primer was a 1.8. Primer just clod the paper and hard to get smooth. Looks OK for a bandsaw.

photo26425.jpg

Make sure your air pressure is correct for the model gun you have, they don't have much of a range.

Top Back Refresh