What's new

HVAC Quandry

Entire garage is wired into one circuit. What's the recommended gauge? I thought it was 12/2? Its a gauge up from the recommended rating.

A single 15 amp circuit on 14/2 wire is the norm, almost all houses I know of are wired this way in their garages. A single 15 amp circuit is plenty to run lights, an opener, and a wall plug for whatever.

14 gauge is code for 15 amps
12 gauge is code for 20 amps

What compressor do you have? You might be fine with a second 15 amp circuit, although a 20 amp isn't really any extra money these days. It all depends on what it actually draws and going to 20 amp isn't entirely necessary.

A single 15 amp circuit on 14/2 wire is the norm, almost all houses I know of are wired this way in their garages. A single 15 amp circuit is plenty to run lights, an opener, and a wall plug for whatever.

14 gauge is code for 15 amps
12 gauge is code for 20 amps

What compressor do you have? You might be fine with a second 15 amp circuit, although a 20 amp isn't really any extra money these days. It all depends on what it actually draws and going to 20 amp isn't entirely necessary.

5hp Craftsman. Light over the bench on, we're fine. Garage light and light in loft, bloops goes everything. Literally having one extra light trips the breaker. With no lights on, you can hear the compressor barley kick over. Like it just wants to trip the breaker.

The plans are to replace it all with 12/2. Run the garage on one circuit and the loft on another. Its on the list. And the list is currently book status. :D

5hp Craftsman. Light over the bench on, we're fine. Garage light and light in loft, bloops goes everything. Literally having one extra light trips the breaker. With no lights on, you can hear the compressor barley kick over. Like it just wants to trip the breaker.

The plans are to replace it all with 12/2. Run the garage on one circuit and the loft on another. Its on the list. And the list is currently book status. :D

"5hp" or actually 5hp? Link to the compressor? I doubt it's a true 5hp unit if you can run it on a wall plug. My ingersoll rand is a true 5hp and needs 30amps at 240v. You should properly size the electrical for what you're doing, replacing it with 12/2 alone isn't going to solve a damn thing, you need breakers/plugs/etc. rated for 20 amps and even then a compressor really should have a dedicated circuit. You're better off leaving what you have alone and adding a second circuit for the garage for the compressor.

Add return upstairs, throttle the downstairs dampers maximize upstairs comfort,

This^ you may already have throttling valves that need adjusted.

Edit: you can also adjust your registers. Start by closing of the downstairs completely and open the upstairs all the way. Go from there.

Last edited:
"5hp" or actually 5hp? Link to the compressor? I doubt it's a true 5hp unit if you can run it on a wall plug. My ingersoll rand is a true 5hp and needs 30amps at 240v. You should properly size the electrical for what you're doing, replacing it with 12/2 alone isn't going to solve a damn thing, you need breakers/plugs/etc. rated for 20 amps and even then a compressor really should have a dedicated circuit. You're better off leaving what you have alone and adding a second circuit for the garage for the compressor.

(not my picture)
29444A.jpg

It has to be coming up on 20 years old now.

eh, either way something will be done in the garage. second circuit is another option too. cross that bridge when I get there. ;)

Sleep upstairs in the winter and downstairs in the summer :homer:

Wife has a craft room that is wall to wall fabric and yarn. I've got six 7' store-style shelving units, sewing machines, tables, and so many other contraptions. That was upstairs and we moved it down. Kiddo's room would also be a pain to move around. Lastly, we heat with wood. The first year I was still adjusting to how much wood to put in the stove. We had it 94º in the house on the first floor. :laughing: Took a little while to dial it in. Apparently filling the stove to absolute max capacity before bed is a bit much. Couldn't imagine how hot it'd be up on the second floor. :laughing:

Last night was chilled. Low 50s outside. Had all the windows open. Was so nice up there. I'm just happy to start using the rooms. Before they were just not used. Wife had her craft room, but she didn't use it much. What's our room now was totally empty. It was almost weird going up there because we never used it. But we bought a new giant, latex bed and redid the room a bit. Nice to have the entire second floor as the bedrooms.

Top Back Refresh