What's new

HVAC Q Bad Fan Cap on Trane XE80?

KungFooMASTA

El Stupido
Member Number
Loc
17 miles West of Murdock KS
(TLDR). Main Fan wont run on auto the heater goes into thermal protection after the gas burner runs a few minutes it just runs the exhaust fan. I can get the main fan to run with the burner off in manual fan mode but it really struggles to get started. It spins smooth and after I do run it the motor is kind of hot but not so hot you cant leave your hand on it. Right now I am running the heat on with the main fan on manual to leave it run. The heat is cycling fine that way except for the fan running nonstop.

I came home last night smelling a slight burnt wire smell. Which worried me a lot since I have a pacific box and no house insurance, (State farm said I need a new roof before they will give me any). I went all around the house trying to find it and noticed the heater exhaust fan was running but the heater wasnt heating.

I pulled the cover off and read the flashy light. It showed thermal protection code. I noticed it was hot up above so I figured the heat was kicking on. I changed the filter and let it cool down and if fired up normal.

I stayed awake for an hour listening that it would cycle ok and it did so I went to sleep.

I woke up around 1:30am and laid there for a while and never heard it cycle so I got up and checked it. Same thermal protection code.

I let it cool down again and the main fan would never come on. It would kick the flame off and go into thermal protection again just running the exhaust fan.

I let it cool down again and just kicked the fan on manual with no heat and it just struggled to get going. But ran fine once it got going.

Now I am just running the heat on with the fan on all the time so the main fan does not cycle. The heat is cycling just fine.

Top Back Refresh