What's new

Hunting waders?

ConwayMuddy

Dis member
Member Number
Loc
Jerkwater wi
I need some new waders so I thought I'd check here. My old Gander Mountain brand waders got religion last year and I'd like to upgrade. What's good these days? Neoprene works, but I'm tired of one size fits nobody and sweating my ass off when its above 50. Hunt Wisconsin so it can be anywhere from 80 to down in the 20s. Decent options for insulated/uninsulated, breathable? I can always go back to uninsulated neoprene and waders pants, but I cant stand the crappy fit and lack of flexibility.

Most of the hardcore duck hunters don’t wear them, but everyone else who spends a bunch of time in waders swears by Simms. I finally broke down and bought a pair, they fit well, are light, and do breathe. I can wear fleece pants under them if needed.

Seems like wader companies think everyone taller than 5’10” have size 9 feet and weigh 300 lbs.

I’ve had crap luck with the seams leaking on 5mm neoprene waders with attached boots. Now that’s it is generally warm where I duck hunt, I’ve switched to breathable waders and just wear more clothes underneath. I think my current ones are Banded brand.

Most of the hardcore duck hunters don’t wear them, but everyone else who spends a bunch of time in waders swears by Simms. I finally broke down and bought a pair, they fit well, are light, and do breathe. I can wear fleece pants under them if needed.

Seems like wader companies think everyone taller than 5’10” have size 9 feet and weigh 300 lbs.
I'll have to look at Simms. I have that problem, 5'11" size 12 boots and 150 pounds. Wader fit is comical

I’ve had crap luck with the seams leaking on 5mm neoprene waders with attached boots. Now that’s it is generally warm where I duck hunt, I’ve switched to breathable waders and just wear more clothes underneath. I think my current ones are Banded brand.
Which banded ones? Saw a lot of complaints about leaking. Not bad when its warm, but when the water starts to freeze it's not great

I'll have to look at Simms. I have that problem, 5'11" size 12 boots and 150 pounds. Wader fit is comical
About the same as me. 6’, size 12, 165 lbs. I went with the medium with the 12/13 booties. Fit perfect.

Forgot to mention, when duck hunting where I’m likely to run into barbed wire, briars, broken off sticks, etc, I plan to just run my briar chaps on the outside of the waders. Simms are supposed to be extremely tough, but for the price I’m happy to have a sacrificial layer.

If you have a Rogers near you I’ve had good luck with theirs after several years

Damn, if you didn't have so much turned under you'd be the same height as a grown man!

My waders are about 100 year old rubber ones dad bought for a moose hunt around 1990. They don't leak yet.

Top Back Refresh