What's new

How to Vet a Home Roofing Contractor?

tuffluv

Member Number
What are some real world, down to earth questions to ask or methods to vet a potential roofing contractor for a home? I've read what's online about licensure, bonding, insurance, warranties, guarantees, subcontractors, expense breakdown, material pricing.

The roof currently has a single layer of nearly 30 year old shingles on it.

What are some real world, down to earth questions to ask or methods to vet a potential roofing contractor for a home? I've read what's online about licensure, bonding, insurance, warranties, guarantees, subcontractors, expense breakdown, material pricing.

The roof currently has a single layer of nearly 30 year old shingles on it.

Ask them for some recommendations then research what they suggest. It will become evident if and when they are full of shit.

If someone suggested putting a $1000 into a dana 30, would you use them and advise on a crawler build?

You're going to have to educate yourself some into their realm.

If you speak the language ask them to describe how they would do a valley. If they say they want to do a weave pattern, run. If they don't tell you they will use ice and 3water shield, run. There is always someone who can do it cheaper. That's not always the best option. We went with a local company this time around and it worked out well. The guys who did the roof were Guatemalan or mostly from there. I'd bet $$$ on it. We went with Owens Corning because we liked the colors better, but the OC system and the GAF/ELK systems were comparable. Ice and water along the eves and valleys, drip edge along all edges, synthetic underlayment, 50 year shingles etc. No flashing is reused. Certainteed is a French owned company that makes their shingles in China and they're junk.

We went with a larger company in our area that was highly recommended. Also, got quotes from a few other local companies/guys. You will be able to pick the shysters out pretty quickly.

One of the guys didn’t even get on the roof before throwing out an estimate. He spent his time telling me how he was better than XYZ.

Probably doesn't help, but we basically have one or two companies here in my neighborhood. I talked to a few of my neighbors and saw some of their work. Overall they were very accommodating as we took forever to move forward with the roof (cliff notes: this crisis will be processed in the order in which it was received).

The company we chose has been around for a while and was continuing to do roofs in my neighborhood. We also talked about fixing/adding a few other things while they were up there. We did a few minor issues with them which they came out and promptly fixed.

But basically, find someone who has done work in your neighborhood and has been around for a while.

Use the busiest one that doesn't advertise much. They are getting work through references.

Do you have a roofing wholesale house local to you? Around here it's ABC Supply. Walk in there some morning with a box of donuts and ask them for the top 3 contractors they would recommend. Call those 3 and pick the one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Yep, might need to get educated on some basics so you can ask them questions and interpret the BS. As mentioned ask them to walk through how they detail valleys, chimneys, roof jacks and drip edge. Ask their opinion on ventilation.

At homo depot there may be a Black and Decker book on how to roof, or there are ones on sheds and garages, look at them for ideas and learning.

They will want to throw out industry lingo like how many squares the roof is, and 30 year roof.

Use the busiest one that doesn't advertise much. They are getting work through references.

Do you have a roofing wholesale house local to you? Around here it's ABC Supply. Walk in there some morning with a box of donuts and ask them for the top 3 contractors they would recommend. Call those 3 and pick the one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

I didn't bring doughnuts but I did call the local roofing suppliers and they gave me a couple. Called them both. Got a good fuzzy feeling from the retired marine owner with the 30 year roof.

His guys did my house AND shop in two days. Very pleased.

Insurance certs, liability and wc.... In our state we are not allowed to hand out copies, our insurance agent must mail you a copy. Otherwise I could make copies and kick the ins co to the curb. (a lot of them do that)
check out their references. Ask neighbors and friends.
look at what they drive and how they are dressed. New diesel with bling, cowboy boots and gold chains, run!
A clapped out truck with shit all in the back usually isn't a good sign either, I believe it's a direct reflection of your work quality and ethic.
A company truck/car, a nice work shirt and a pad and calculator, ask for references.
Some people use a program where they can get the size off from a satellite image so no need to climb up.
I almost never give "on the spot" prices. I like to run through the material, check latest pricing, then present the proposal.
Of course I do a lot more than just roofs so it's a little different for me. I may not do a roof this year and then next year do a bunch of them.

Certainteed is a French owned company that makes their shingles in China and they're junk.

Weird, because the two packs in my garage say they were made in their Minnesota plant.:homer:

look for the company that has been in town for a long time. not a fly by night outtfit

Find some Messicans. Seriously. Those guys know how to hammer out a roof.

Weird, because the two packs in my garage say they were made in their Minnesota plant.:homer:

look for the company that has been in town for a long time. not a fly by night outtfit

Some are even made in Canada. :mr-t:
Maybe it was knockoffs? https://archer.ca/counterfeit-roofing-shingles/ I know there was a row here about fly by night roofers throwing shit on houses and disappearing. Installation was likely the biggest culprit, but CertainTeed shingles are mud in my area.

Last edited:
Just make sure that if a worker falls off the roof and breaks his hip you will not be liable...Otherwords ,hire a legit contractor ...

Just make sure that if a worker falls off the roof and breaks his hip you will not be liable...Otherwords ,hire a legit contractor ...

This.

Looking into the CT more I wonder what the truth is. They have a plant in Missouri too. A quick search found a company offering a $3,999 "deal" that is a complete tear off and replacement of up to 14 squares. They have to be throwing box store shingles on whatever the cheapest 3 tab they can find for that price. They would probably install Chinese drywall too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall

Top Back Refresh