What's new

How to revitalized this old gun

Honky Lips

Welcome to the shit show.
Member Number
Loc
Omaha, Ne “ish”
Helping a guy clean out a lien two and found this over under 22:410 shotgun.

Address and cleaning and oil I think I got it functioning. Now I just need some 410 shells which are impossible to find

The outside of it is in rough shape though. What should I do with it? Wire wheel it then gun blue? Wire wheel spray paint it? Leave it as is because nothing else is going to help?
1BAED317-B636-4943-A331-12AF60044AD7.jpeg

Stevens 410/22
I'll toss up a pic if I can find it...
Brb
Well my media storage aint workin right now.
So I'll snap a pic of the engravings on mine later.
With the 3" shells its a " it flies it dies " go to on the ranch...

Last edited:
Nice. My grandpa had one of those. As for .410 not being available you aren’t looking hard enough. The problem is slugs start out at $1.30 per round.

I've got an uncle that collects the Savage 24, he claims to have at least 1 of every caliber combo they made. Last time I saw his collection he had over 20 of them.

So there are folks out there that are really into them.

I would look into rust bluing it like the factory would have if you're restoring it.

Probably could've carded what was there back to being acceptable but you're past that point now that it's in that tank.

Hoppes #7 will blow your mind at removing rust on a gun . I brought a model 94 like that back to life that had been behind a truck seat in a chore truck for 30 years with nothing more than some hoppes 7 steel wool , paper towels and some rem oil to finish .

Hoppes #7 will blow your mind at removing rust on a gun . I brought a model 94 like that back to life that had been behind a truck seat in a chore truck for 30 years with nothing more than some hoppes 7 steel wool , paper towels and some rem oil to finish .
This one was a little far gone for that results from the electralasys tote
85ED6E18-41E1-41A0-8A49-4646EE926022.jpeg

Yep
the old guy did this via old school engraver
look into the rear ramp sight system, mine sux...

little late
but whenever you see something that's blued with rust disregard everything else; boiling water to convert the red oxide to black oxide, then steel wool to card it back

The Birchwood Casey tru oil finish works best out of anything I have used. I have been sanding to 800 grit with the last ones I did, seem to finish up nice that way.

The Birchwood Casey tru oil finish works best out of anything I have used. I have been sanding to 800 grit with the last ones I did, seem to finish up nice that way.
Old and new...TML is my 20 yr project, needs barrel browning. "Modern" is my Yugo I did this last summer.
Both are nothing more than boiled linseed roughly 20 coats and "massaged", then buff with steel wool every 5 coats for a total of 20ish.
TML is an old school finish to bring out the curl via homemade iron nitride (steel wool dissolved in 50% nitric acid)
Modern is BLO directly on both a Fore cap made of birds eye maple and stock is a cheesy piece of walnut from Brownells with no stain.

Attachments

• _MG_0360.JPG
    _MG_0360.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Top Back Refresh