What's new

How sucky are cheap windows?

Fivepointfive

Guy in the back
Member Number
Loc
Beside the point
For years we've been waiting to get to the point where we could have a party and let the kids go free range. We have a great property for it, it was just a matter of age. Sure enough, it came last weekend and it was awesome. We cooked, ate, drank, and generally were adults. We let the kids ride bikes, run around in the woods, play in the river and generally be kids. Yay us.

Then, right at the end of the night it happened. A kid put a soccer ball through our back window. It is an older casement window, and my wife has wanted different for a while. I have resisted, because we eventually want to build a four season porch there, and the wall will get re-arranged then. So my question is:

Do I stab in a couple cheap home depot vinyl single hungs? They list some Jeld Wen v2500 series at a price I could stomach for a few years use. Much more and I'll just fix the one now.

Will I hate it?

Trash bags are pretty cheap. :flipoff2:

Hit up FBMP. I got two windows and an outside door for the rental from there.

Just get new glass for a couple 100 bucks .Don't see why you have to replace the whole thing.

Cheap vynil single hung double pain are 4x better than your original windows. Go for it. I put them in my house. Got kinda dogged for it, told people that they were better than the wood framed single pain windows that didn't sit square or seal from the house I grew up in! lol.....

Cheap vynil single hung double pain are 4x better than your original windows. Go for it. I put them in my house. Got kinda dogged for it, told people that they were better than the wood framed single pain windows that didn't sit square or seal from the house I grew up in! lol.....

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks. Figures I'm seeing 4-8 week lead times. :homer:

I redid the windows in my house. Whereever possible I used off the shelf HD ones. The ones that were odd sizes I ordered from a windows supply place. They are the same. Sure you can spend more but window tech for coatings and insulations is 100x better now than even the upper grade windows from a couple decades ago.

Also I did a DAS job for a glass manufacturer a few years ago. Same company and they did the glass and coatings for everything from the cheap to the expensize brands. There were some differences but still all came from the same place. BTW, a giant 10x15 sheet of glass cracking and hitting the floor is more than loud enough to scare you the first couple times it happens.

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. If you're going to tear it out in a couple of years to build a porch then go for it.

I bought cheap windows, seemed decent when I got them. 2 years later I'm dealing with this.
20201014_175114.jpg

The cheap windows at the big box stores are fine, just don’t buy the super cheap off brand white ones. I’ve used a bunch of jen-wen standard grade without issues.

The flippers put cheap windows in my house. They are the kind that fold down for easy cleaning. Well those tabs are plastic and one day they failed. The window flipped down and ended up pushing the cat through the screen and down 12 ft onto the yard. Took a while to find the fucker in the woods.

don't do the job twice.

Is it an odd ball size or normal? Check FB/CL lots of wrong order or left over ones on there for cheap. Even Home Cheapo/Lowes will have old stock you can grab cheap some times

The flippers put cheap windows in my house. They are the kind that fold down for easy cleaning. Well those tabs are plastic and one day they failed. The window flipped down and ended up pushing the cat through the screen and down 12 ft onto the yard. Took a while to find the fucker in the woods.

don't do the job twice.

:lmao:

I've put whatever they have on the shelf at HD in my last two houses and they are nice then the windows anywhere else I've lived.... I dont really ever open and close them and we have mild weather so I'm not sure I'm missing out on much.

Is it an odd ball size or normal? Check FB/CL lots of wrong order or left over ones on there for cheap. Even Home Cheapo/Lowes will have old stock you can grab cheap some times

Yawp. Done this a couple times at the rental.

Top Back Refresh