What's new

How soon until used trucks get cheap again?

Wilburburns

Moving On Up
Member Number
Loc
Central Ky
Too Soon???

No, Seriously, ive been putting off getting a new truck for a while, because new and used prices have been crazy. With all the oil workers trucks soon to be repo’d, the prices have to fall.. How much longer do I have to wait?

Yeah, the situation sucks, but somebody has to take advantage.

Cliff

when gas gets expensive
until then you've got a bunch of idiots going out and mortgaging retardedly optioned pickups that are useless as pickups so they can "take advantage of this cheap gas"

Three years. January 2024 the used truck market will be back to ‘normal’ where a used 2nd gen dodge isnt $24,000. Too bad at that point people will expect it to cost $2,000 and sellers will be asking 3 times what buyers say it’s worth. Just like now.

Too Soon???

No, Seriously, ive been putting off getting a new truck for a while, because new and used prices have been crazy. With all the oil workers trucks soon to be repo’d, the prices have to fall.. How much longer do I have to wait?

Cliff

Never, new mpg and electric vehicle mandates will continue to make new trucks more expensive thus driving up the used market.

Yeah, the more fancy stuff they pile in these cars will drive up prices on the older stuff for everyone who likes to turn wrenches on their own junk.

Nope. Enough people are starting to realize new trucks are built cheap as fuck and are insanely overpriced, while the supply of good old trucks will only decrease. Ok, maybe 5-10 yo truck prices will stabilize, but they're still junk. Fuck it all garble garble garble get off my lawn and no it's not for sale.

Too Soon???

Cliff

If you are dumb enough to buy a used oil field truck you get what you deserve. The only way I would take one is if it was cheap to free.
Most oil companies have been super slow with little to no drilling going on since april-may. They have sold off trucks. Most are leased. All are abused and idled in for long hours on location. Bounced down lease roads with too much in the back.

Once gas prices go through the roof thruck prices may come down, but don't bet on it.

Looking back and the value of used trucks over time, what makes you think that met will ever be “cheap”?

it ain’t happening.

I cant see truck prices falling, without the entire economy crashing with it.

So Joe Beijing is your man with the plan.

I doubt they will come back down. Everyone wants a truck as a second vehicle for hauling junk home whether that be bags of mulch and potting soil or a skidsteer/excavator. I always am on the lookout for a cheap extra truck as a beater or backup beater for plowing snow or hauling scrap, stuff that is easier to just have a vehicle set up for that does one or two things well. In the last 3-4 years it seems like pretty much everything has been priced high, hell 12 valves are going for 3-5k with 300k and f250/f350 k20/30/w250/w350 are going for 3-5k that are 40 years old. Anything priced reasonably or below average is gone in minutes to hours at the most, as with anything its finding the diamond in the rough.

I would love for prices to come down in general but wouldn't hold my breath.

I'd like to find 2001-2004 4 door Tacoma's either 4x4 or pre-runners in decent shape for under $7500 again. They pop up randomly but not like they used to!

Probably never. Automakers have found out that they can stick absurd amounts of shit on a truck and people will pay ridiculous amounts of money for it to be fashionable. I’m willing to bet that 95% of the diesel pickups in my area will never pull a trailer.

Old truck aren't made anymore. Fact.

People keep making babies. Fact.

Babies want old trucks. Fact.

Draw your own conclusion. :lmao:

If you are dumb enough to buy a used oil field truck you get what you deserve. The only way I would take one is if it was cheap to free.
Most oil companies have been super slow with little to no drilling going on since april-may. They have sold off trucks. Most are leased. All are abused and idled in for long hours on location. Bounced down lease roads with too much in the back.

Once gas prices go through the roof thruck prices may come down, but don't bet on it.

I can tell from the context that he is interested in a truck purchased by an oil worker. Usually a king ranch or raptor bought at 15% interest.

Regardless of supply and pricing, I can't see a world where when we go into a recession and the trades grind to a halt, that the construction workers that had to have that cowboy cadillac aren't dumping them. First round gets out decent, second round takes losses, by the time we get to 2009 2.0 the market is flooded and nobody has money.

156801A5-7B04-4D3D-9FBC-2BD444EAE446.png

Someone is willing to ask $29K for a 24 year old truck. Betting someone will pay it too.

Got me thinking if there is a correction I need a 93 and down cummins stick to push start and drive after an emp :laughing:

Someone is willing to ask $29K for a 24 year old truck. Betting someone will pay it too.

When I was truck shopping 3-4 years ago, looked at an identical one, they were asking $16k...I almost grabbed it, but hesitated too long. I sold a day after I looked at it.
That was stupid money for a 20 y/o truck.....
Ended up with an '04 CC Dodge for less....

Top Back Refresh