What's new

How much would you pay to rent a trailer?

Personally I love the idea as finding any place that rents anything other then tiny useless trailers is pretty tough...

and

Really how big is the market of people who are really equipped to tow anything larger then a u-haul trailer with surge brakes?

I'm not aiming for the big market

I think the car haulers are a good idea. IMO $125/day and $200/weekend is reasonable. Also a good idea to offer a winch for $50, straps for $25, etc.

The enclosed trailers will get torn up in a hurry. It’s not difficult to rip off a rear corner on one going into a driveway, and I have a hole through the front stone shield on mine I have no idea where it came from. Nobody but me has ever driven it. Not a huge deal though if they cost $2,000 new and you rent them out for 10 weekends at $200 a pop.

Most newer trucks have factory brake controllers, and there are some new wireless ones that plug into the 7 way you could rent.

An easy way to get around the “can’t drive a trailer hurdle” is making your rental area a bit of a bitch to get out of. I pull a trailer so much I cranked the steering wheel the wrong way without one this morning backing out of my driveway and almost hit the fence. :laughing:

I think the car haulers are a good idea. IMO $125/day and $200/weekend is reasonable. Also a good idea to offer a winch for $50, straps for $25, etc.

The enclosed trailers will get torn up in a hurry. It’s not difficult to rip off a rear corner on one going into a driveway, and I have a hole through the front stone shield on mine I have no idea where it came from. Nobody but me has ever driven it. Not a huge deal though if they cost $2,000 new and you rent them out for 10 weekends at $200 a pop.

Most newer trucks have factory brake controllers, and there are some new wireless ones that plug into the 7 way you could rent.

An easy way to get around the “can’t drive a trailer hurdle” is making your rental area a bit of a bitch to get out of. I pull a trailer so much I cranked the steering wheel the wrong way without one this morning backing out of my driveway and almost hit the fence. :laughing:

Like I said, I'm not really going for maximum profit. Just supplemental to offset trailer cost.

You're probably right that a car hauler would be a good idea. But then again, every one seems to have one and almost all seem to be ok with lending it out. I can think of 10 different "car haulers" I could likely borrow off the top of my head.

Plus you'd be competing with u haul and the equipment yards.

Maxxd makes a really nice "buggy hauler" tilt deck, so 102" wide with drive over fenders that all tilt together. A 20' power tilt version with a winch would be the tits. Something like that may rent for a decent price, but it's also a ~$8k "car hauler"

Tilt deck would be pretty sweet.

We used the shit out of them at the company I worked for last year.

For your average crawler, it's pointless. For anything else, especially tracked vehicles it's so damn nice. You can load a 10k lb skid steer on a trailer that isn't hooked to anything. No messing with ramps, ect.

No profit to it where I'm at. I've rented a 10k tilt deck equipment trailer for $65 a day from a local dealer multiple times. Last time we used it was 2 years ago, so price may have creeped a little, but not enough to justify buying one to rent, unless it's a smoking deal. Same with "car haulers''. I can borrow at least 5 with 3 phone calls. 2 of them I can put 2 rigs on. My .02

First I would buy a large tripple axle 21000 pound equiptment trailer with good brakes. (Preferably a jacobsen) That way customers can be honest about the big dumb load they are planning on hauling and you will have a trailer for them.

This. I know a guy in the business. He runs a trailer dealership selling PJ, Haulmark, Big Tex, Wow, etc. He buys "Demos" with some decent options at wholesale, and rents them out. He also has his broker's license and runs a small fleet of hotshot trucks and vans (all independent O/Os) that pull his trailers. His sons and another guy are the trailer mechanics; they also know how to fab stuff pretty well, having grown up in the business.

Anyone destroys a trailer, he goes after their insurance, and his insurance picks up where theirs leaves off. He then gets retail repair pricing, with wholesale parts and cheap labor.

When the trailer is used up, he sells it at a discount... cheaper to his drivers, closer to retail for the public. If someone rents a trailer then decides they like it, he'll sell them that unit and apply the rental cost to the purchase price.

Its quite intricate, but he's made a killing doing it.

EDIT: Pricing. IIRC, he charges $69/day for a car hauler, and $99/day for an enclosed car hauler. He has a diverse collection, up to and including a 32' 2-car tridem bumper pull, each with their own price.
Local yard is pretty much the same, $60 for a car 9990# GVW car hauler, small dual axle enclosed, etc. $80 for a 12k tilt deck or deckover, large enclosed, etc.
Security deposit is a 2nd days rent, you sign accepting liability for any damage that you cause.

Aaron Z

I am in the rental business now and have been in other high risks businesses in the past.

It is all about what they sign.

To take one of my cars out you have to sign multiple waivers of liability.

Spend some money up front on a lawyer, it will save you lots of money later.

Also setup a LLC and make sure you understand how to use it.

All of this! And you will still probably get sued at some point.

I rented a skid steer for the long weekend, $58 for the trailer.

EB71DE58-E012-4E6A-BF28-238810ECA30C.jpeg

Unfortunately, I live in a 1 horse town. The next closest place is 45min each way.

Costs me $50 for the day to move the Kubota.

Top Back Refresh