What's new

How much flatness would you want on the mounting surface of a diff cover before you had it face milled?

Skull is part of the reason I never bought much from them. They cut it into a lot of their stuff and it just screams 2000s monster redbull flatbill guy to me.
agreed. I will say the ballistic joints I bought years ago have been FLAWLESS. still tight. only occasional grease. never even been tightened up either.

So I decided to dig out the Motobilt covers I ordered a while back that I bought on sale and squirreled away in the shop without unwrapping. The Superduty Dana 60 cover is warped .095" and the Sterling cover is surprisingly only warped .013" despite being larger. Neither one of them were machined at all on the sealing surface. I kind of wish I spent the extra money and got Ruffstuff covers now.

IMG_8413.jpeg

IMG_8412.jpeg

RS mills all theirs after welding :smokin:
Too bad they don't verify hole alignment. My last 4 covers from them all had at least one hole I had to open up. The one on the front diff on my buggy has one hole I cannot get a bolt in at all. I'd have to move the hole over at least 3/8" inch to get a bolt in it.

Too bad they don't verify hole alignment. My last 4 covers from them all had at least one hole I had to open up. The one on the front diff on my buggy has one hole I cannot get a bolt in at all. I'd have to move the hole over at least 3/8" inch to get a bolt in it.
I've only bought 4-5 from them, they've all been spot on 🤷‍♂️

i have an SD d60 RS cover. never checked flatness, but all holes lined up perfect.

i have an SD d60 RS cover. never checked flatness, but all holes lined up perfect.
The two I bought from them had holes that were slightly off. It was just one hole on each, and they were off just enough so that the bolt crossthreaded on the way in.

Other than that awesome cover.

Top Back Refresh