What's new

How long will it last?

ricekrispyota

Member Number
1999 4runner (5Vz-FE) 235.000 miles

My kid just put a Magnusson supercharger and Doug Thorley headers on the above truck. Next week it gets a new exhaust (Black Widow I think). If he drives it semi normal, and not like a dragster, can anybody give an estimate as to how long the motor will last before it needs a rebuild. Truck ran strong before the supercharger, didn't burn oil and compression numbers were good. Is there anything he should keep an eye on as indicators that the motor is on its way out?

Thank you.

Instead of wasting money on some faggot flat biller exhaust that does jack shit why not spend that money to get the 7th injector and a wide band O2 sensor so he doesn’t ventilate the block?

spend that money to get the 7th injector and a wide band O2 sensor so he doesn’t ventilate the block?
this.

as for how long it'll last.... compression check that thing.

Reactions: DMG
Instead of wasting money on some faggot flat biller exhaust that does jack shit why not spend that money to get the 7th injector and a wide band O2 sensor so he doesn’t ventilate the block?
Per the Magnusson site, the 7th injector isn't to be used with the newer (TVS1320) superchargers and from what I'm finding, Toyota started using wideband O2 sensors in 99 anyway.

Spending $5k+ on a 230k drivetrain, only to inevitably ruin it, seems foolish.

Is the goal to spend $10k on it, with additional labor and headaches?

Per the Magnusson site, the 7th injector isn't to be used with the newer (TVS1320) superchargers and from what I'm finding, Toyota started using wideband O2 sensors in 99 anyway.
I’m talking digital gauge on the dash so you actually know what the fucking A/F ratio is. Not trying to be a dick. I would rather be safe than sorry. I killed the engine in a brand new truck running it lean.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along and see how it goes.
I mean it was a pretty broad question. It could last the next 10yrs being redlined daily, or blow up being driven like a grandma a week after the work.

Also guarantee those tires will be getting roasted (or attempted to be roasted) at least once a week. I drove like a grandma as a kid around my parents but was drifting an XJ everyday out of the school parking lot.

I mean it was a pretty broad question. It could last the next 10yrs being redlined daily, or blow up being driven like a grandma a week after the work.

Also guarantee those tires will be getting roasted (or attempted to be roasted) at least once a week. I drove like a grandma as a kid around my parents but was drifting an XJ everyday out of the school parking lot.
This is more along the lines of the response I was expecting. Thanks for your honesty. I also know how he drives, (I've seen the videos of him jumping it). I was just wondering if there was some baseline for what to expect. It sounds like, just drive it til it breaks then go from there. It's all his money anyway. lol.

uh... no. The computer and fuel system does not have enough leeway to compensate for the added air.

Not to say that is a junk motor but if long term reliability and longevity is a concern adding forced induction with a quarter of a million miles is a recipe for disaster.

Also no one gets big fake tits to not show them off. This applies to many things in life such as superchargers...

Supercharger on an engine with (over) 100k being NA is recipe for disaster. And is well documented on this engine. "Drives normally" um, not after the supercharger is installed. We just want to hear the supercharger work.

Last edited:

This...

Not to say that is a junk motor but if long term reliability and longevity is a concern adding forced induction with a quarter of a million miles is a recipe for disaster.

And this...

Supercharger on an engine with 235k being NA is recipe for disaster.

Fixered... And this...

I bet it lives longer than the 230k mile transmission does

And this... Unless you're going over every inch of the truck, replacing worn out components and upgrading things, you're going to find a weak spot somewhere.

How old is the kid? Even if he's the most responsible kid out there, someone younger is likely to have a peer group that is going to push him to "see what it does now..."

And, clearly, you don't add a supercharger and then not really use it. Again, it'll be pushed to the point it finds a weak spot somewhere.

And this... Unless you're going over every inch of the truck, replacing worn out components and upgrading things, you're going to find a weak spot somewhere.

How old is the kid? Even if he's the most responsible kid out there, someone younger is likely to have a peer group that is going to push him to "see what it does now..."

And, clearly, you don't add a supercharger and then not really use it. Again, it'll be pushed to the point it finds a weak spot somewhere.

That said. There really is no logical reason why he shouldnt put a supercharger on it.:laughing:

That said. There really is no logical reason why he shouldnt put a supercharger on it.:laughing:
Well until you see how much the supercharger costs and compare it to a junkyard LS, then the logical reason shifts a different direction :laughing:

Well until you see how much the supercharger costs and compare it to a junkyard LS, then the logical reason shifts a different direction :laughing:

A supercharger is a fraction the cost of a LS swap

A supercharger is a fraction the cost of a LS swap

Magnusson gets about $4k for the supercharger now. Headers are probably a good $1k now. And doing it right - 7th injector and Split Second piggy back will run a other $1200 these days…

Magnusson gets about $4k for the supercharger now. Headers are probably a good $1k now. And doing it right - 7th injector and Split Second piggy back will run a other $1200 these days…

I did not know that toyota people bought new parts

Manusson---$1000 and some 35" toyos with 3% tread
Headers-----2/3 case of PBR and a used nudie mag
7th injector an electrical doodads----wtf? why?

:lmao:

I did not know that toyota people bought new parts

Manusson---$1000 and some 35" toyos with 3% tread
Headers-----2/3 case of PBR and a used nudie mag
7th injector an electrical doodads----wtf? why?

:lmao:
find me a gen2 super charger for $1000 and I'll spot you $500 for your trouble.

Seriously.

Oh, he's beating on it. No one adds a supercharger because they've never used full throttle. I say this as a "mature adult" planning on a supercharger for my 5.0 F150. My high-school 70 GMC would also do burnouts at will. Allegedly.

If the underlying motor is healthy and he doesn't hammer it as soon as it starts, it probably won't die any sooner than before.

I'm assuming stock pulley and that Magnuson uses a pretty conservative tune strategy.

I'd tell him to check oil level every fuel fill, change plugs more often, and buy an oil filter cutter. Hopefully get an idea if the rod bearings are hating life before they start a-knockin'. Aforementioned A/F gauge would be a good idea as well.

Top Back Refresh