What's new

How do UPS claims work between private party transactions?

makemeknowit

Kwisatz Haderach
Member Number
Loc
Memphis, TN
I have no experience on a private level, only vendor.
Sold a guy a distributor based on the info I was given when I got it in a group of parts. It wound up not being what I thought/was told. Buyer informed me, I said send it back and I'll refund. It gets back to me with the cap destroyed. Dude said it didn't leave his possession like that. He filed a claim with UPS. What confuses me is I get a notice stuck on my door where UPS tried to pick up a package soon after the claim. I have nothing I'm trying to return anywhere. Hence my question of damage claim on the private party level. Does UPS "own" the damaged goods if they are paying for said damage thru the insurance on the package? Or did the UPS guy just stick a notice on the wrong door?

I have no experience on a private level, only vendor.
Sold a guy a distributor based on the info I was given when I got it in a group of parts. It wound up not being what I thought/was told. Buyer informed me, I said send it back and I'll refund. It gets back to me with the cap destroyed. Dude said it didn't leave his possession like that. He filed a claim with UPS. What confuses me is I get a notice stuck on my door where UPS tried to pick up a package soon after the claim. I have nothing I'm trying to return anywhere. Hence my question of damage claim on the private party level. Does UPS "own" the damaged goods if they are paying for said damage thru the insurance on the package? Or did the UPS guy just stick a notice on the wrong door?

The shipper usually has to file the claim. And yes, they may want to take possession of the item to investigate. Pretty much like any insurance - you don't necessarily get to keep it if they pay for it.

Hate to say it, but every time I or anyone I know tried to file a claim it always came back as "not packaged properly"

The only case I have ever won on anything was when the tracking number showed the package going to another country, instead of coming to me.

The shipper is supposed to file the claim.

UPS insurance is a joke. They sell it, they do the work and they get to decide if you have a case.

Had a lost package that they fought tooth and nail on, they claimed it was never dropped off, even though the postage was sold at a UPS store in person. Finally it ended when they found the package in the store behind some stuff with the label. Then they refused to refund shipping for the hassle and not meeting delivery time agreements.

UPS - if you are a giant corp they will bend over backwards for you. If you are a small business or person you don't matter plebe.

Sounds like I'll do well to spend $56 on a new distributor cap and sell it again vs dealing with UPS on a claim. Is FedEx as shitty on damage claims on a private party basis? I'm done with UPS after this.

Sounds like I'll do well to spend $56 on a new distributor cap and sell it again vs dealing with UPS on a claim. Is FedEx as shitty on damage claims on a private party basis? I'm done with UPS after this.

UPS bites the big one. When a shipper files a claim (and if they win it) they get the monies - whether they owned the item / or are returning it. UPS claims are a fucking joke.

FedEx on the other hand, much more logical process, and far less hassle.

To my knowledge, UPS may want to inspect the item and... won't give 2 shits where it ends up. FedEx does not want to see the item, they want to resolve the issue asap. The fight for a damage claim with UPS sucks fkg hard. I have a buddy who bought $1000 worth of components, most of which arrived destroyed (2 packages) and they were shipped with UPS. He communicated with the seller / shipper who then made the claim. He won it (the shipper) and kept the money... leaving my buddy with $800 worth of damaged goods and... the seller got paid not once but, twice. How fkd up is that?

Top Back Refresh