What's new

How bad is a 5.4 in a superduty?

Derp

Involuntary Chest Slapper
Member Number
I figured the tow rig section would get me more relevent info for what I'm trying to do, being hauling a small (~2K lbs slide in camper and trailer with 2-3 ATV's, about 5K lbs)

I've been shopping for a '05+ superduty tow rig, looking for almost any configuration that is 4x4 and at least more than a standard cab. I don't want to touch a diesel from that era but it seems like that was damn near all that Ford would put in their trucks back then. I'd really like a v10, but occasionally I see pretty good deals on 5.4 trucks, and I have to wonder how under powered they would be with my setup.

A buddy of mine has an '06 F150 with a fresh 5.4, intake, headers, and exhaust and think's it's hot shit, I think it's kind of a turd that just downshifts and makes more noise when you step on the pedal, rather than pulling any harder.

Did they get any different tuning for the 250/350s?

Co-worker has a 5.4, ex cab, short bed. Tows a 20’ boat, and an 16’ enclosed with his SxS.

Says its tows like, and gets about the same mileage, as his ‘96 F250 460, auto did.

I'd say it partially depends on your location... I wouldn't buy one at 7000ft elevation with 7% grades... if you're in Alabama; it might be different.

My friend's 5.4/stick super duty did everything his 7.3 does now. He said it was just slower. He was just towing race cars and dirt bike trailers.

It has since become his plow truck after getting a diesel.

My dad has been towing anything and everything he has to tow with his '04 F150 heavy half (7 lug) with the 5.4 and it does fine BUT he's never in a hurry, runs the speed limit pretty much everywhere. Regularly runs his dump trailer with a couple yards of gravel, tows his enclosed motorcycle trailer all over the state too. They have to spin to move anything, the old man's is a 2wd with 4.10's so it sings pretty good at 70+ but it's also spun up enough to where it likes to run, gearing is the key with any Mod motor regardless of size, they just don't lug well.

If you're used to a diesel you probably won't be happy with a 5.4, if you're used to an old gas truck you'll probably like it just fine. My dad's previous "tow rig" aka the only pickup he had was a '70 F100 with a 390, the '04 is leaps and bounds better at pulling a trailer with the modern brakes/suspension. Unless you really want a Super Dooky I wouldn't rule out the heavy half ton trucks.

Last edited:
My brother in law has an 05 or 06 F150. It tows like crap..... at least when you compare it to any diesels. He tows a light, 16 foot camper trailer, and cannot maintain highway speeds over any steep hill / mountain pass. If you enjoy going sub-speed limit, at high engine rpm, go for it.... but if you prefer faster speeds, go with a chevy LS 6 liter, or any late model diesel..... just stay away from Fords. ...

As a comparison, my 6.7 Ram carries my 10 foot camper AND tows his camper trailer at speeds that exceed highway limits, over those same highways.... and I'm doing at half his RPM and twice his economy. Elk hunting trips.

They suck in the mountains of Colorado. You'll have the truck but not the motor to pull a heavy load. I own a 06 f350 6.0. Like TrikeKid my dad owns a 05 F150 heavy tow package with the 4.10 gearing. The 5.4 in the 150 is more of a balanced package it'll walk all over my friends 5.7 Tundra. A friend who works heavy construction for his father had a 06 F350 with the 5.4. His dad didn't want to spring for the diesel. Tried to talk him into a 150 but he wouldn't go for it. He pulled the guts out of that truck towing mini ex , skid steers and a D3. It developed cam phaser knock problems. He know owns a 6.7 Dodge 5500. He just shacks his head when you mention the 5.4 , even with all the problem the 6.0 had he would of been money ahead buying one instead of the 5.4. Also think the V10 are pooches to I'd rather have a OBS with a 460.

05+ super duty is a very heavy truck empty. If you think a 5.4 sucks in your buddys f150 that is 1000+lb lighter you'll really hate it in a super duty.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I should have mentioned that my current truck is an OBS with a 460/auto. Sounds like a 5.4 would be more of a lateral move, and since I don't NEED to replace the current truck, I'll hold out for a V10.

Besides, I may have found a '06 v10 cclb 4x4 with a 6spd manual. Seems like a bit of a unicorn, but I'm not sure I want to go back to rowing a truck. Now I'm wondering how the 6spd compares to a programmer/tuner managed automatic of that period for power and towing performance

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I should have mentioned that my current truck is an OBS with a 460/auto. Sounds like a 5.4 would be more of a lateral move, and since I don't NEED to replace the current truck, I'll hold out for a V10.

Besides, I may have found a '06 v10 cclb 4x4 with a 6spd manual. Seems like a bit of a unicorn, but I'm not sure I want to go back to rowing a truck. Now I'm wondering how the 6spd compares to a programmer/tuner managed automatic of that period for power and towing performance

Maybe it’s lateral on power but it will be way better in every other aspect. Comfort, ride, brakes, turning radius etc.

Reactions: DMG

I had an '06/3V V10/auto truck for a while and that trans was awesome as far as autos are concerned. I don't have a direct comparison to a manual trans truck, but 10 years ago I drove a V10 manual trans 2V truck for work and that thing felt every bit as strong if not stronger than my 06/3v/auto.

I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, the 3V V10's are pretty killer. They don't feel quick empty because the rest of the truck is so damn heavy, but when you load them up they pull hard as long as you let it rev.

Dad's got a 2004 5.4. Its rotted to hell. The oil pan rotted though, got that replaced. We had to take the manifolds off at one point; I think it was the gasket? Snapped the bolt. Got it free with welding a nut to it. Coil packs gave a few issues. They must have all been replaced by now. Truck only has 60k miles on it. It, uh, aged pretty quick. But it sits a LOT. Rarely drives it.

My shop truck is a '12 F250 with the 5.4. Our towing is in the 3-5k lb range. It does ok.

I've had a 5.4 in a 97 f150 and an Expedition. They had plenty of power but I don't remember towing with them. I currently have a 5.4 Excursion, it's kinda doggy by itself. Towed 7k with it once, it was terrible. My 99 f250 superduty has a v10 tows the same load like it isn't there. The Excursion is about 7.5k itself, the F250 is about 5.5k. Both trucks get the same fuel mileage (10.5) empty, can't tell you towing.

I've got an '06 CCLB 250 with the 5.4 and it does fine. Of course it doesn't keep up with the diesels, but it's towed everything I've put behind it, just slower. Only problems I've had in 120k are coil packs and the exhaust manifolds. Replaced the plugs at 100k and none of them broke coming out. I came out of an '11 6.0 Chevy in the exact same configuration, and the difference between the two is negligible. The 6.0 has a slight edge on performance, and I mean slight, but mileage is the same.

If you're looking to tow 10k @ 80mph, a gas motor just isn't going to do it. If you want a knock around weekend truck for half to two thirds the price of a diesel, it'll do just fine.

Not exactly the same, but I had a 97 E150 high top conversion van with the 5.4... empty, it pulled fine. Put a load in it, it was happy. Put a small-ish trailer, sure. Anything bigger, like pulling an FJ62 on an equipment trailer? HORRID! That thing would only get 11 mpg pulling a 5x14 enclosed trailer, and got about 8 mpg pulling the FJ. On big hills, I had the shifter in 1 and revved the piss out of it just to keep it moving forward. I was seriously doubting I was going to successfully finish the trip when I reached the first big hill pulling the FJ.

Aside from that? I put 300k on it before retiring it and it still ran flawlessly. I replaced the plugs, coil packs, and boots at 238k, and the EGR actuator at around 275k. The battery went a couple times over the years, but that's normal. I added overload springs and air shocks to the rear to keep it level-ish when loaded heavy, but that won't be a problem in a super doody.

I couldn't imagine trying to pull anything heavy in a 5.4 super doody, though.

Top Back Refresh