What's new

House siding and windows

Last house in MN was cedar siding on top of 3/4” foam boards. That extra 3/4” on top of 6” walls seemed to make a huge difference.

ive had steel, vinyl, wood and brick houses... they all have their pros and cons.

This. Foam board and taped seams. I hate vinyl. We wanted no maintenance and a cool look so I did corten steel.

I'll agree a million percent. FUCK VINYL. On my block alone there's no less than 4 houses with recent vinyl siding that has pieces that fell off, although one of them is my rental unit and it's the phone wire that pulled out of the wall, pulling off the siding.

As for the foam board and taped seams...are you sure that's a good idea?

Where I am you put your vapor barrier on the inside of your insulation as the normal is cold outside and warm/humid inside. I see lots of people here flipping old houses and they tape foam board on the exterior of the house. Now they have a vapor barrier on both sides of the insulation and I predict there's gonna be a lot of problems because of it. Not sure of the OP climate. On my buildings I would put the foam board up, but not tape the seams.

Last house in MN was cedar siding on top of 3/4” foam boards. That extra 3/4” on top of 6” walls seemed to make a huge difference.

ive had steel, vinyl, wood and brick houses... they all have their pros and cons.

What would be the cons of a brick house?

I pulled some siding off one end of the house to see what was there. Metal siding over aspestos. The aspestos is in good condition except for the bottom few rows where I had to patch a hole where previous duct work was. The aspestos is over tar paper the diagonal shiplap. There is construction paper type stuff over the corners.
The house has newer windows but they are installed weird. They have a nailing flange but it sits on a frame set back from the sheathing a little over an inch. I am guessing this wa done so they didn't have to redo the trim inside? They added filler areound the outside then cappped with trim. There was no signs of water intrusion but the design seams bad.
i have a guy coming out for my 3rd quote. I can already tell he is another vinyl guy even though he is coming to give a Hardie estimate.
it seams like real wood would be nicer all the way around except for painting or staining.

It's a big enough job that I'd pick up a usb scope camera for my phone and see what's in the walls. Drill a few holes at the top of the wall and slip it in. Confirm that you can blow in insulation. Do it from the outside since you will reside anyway. Then you have your insulation and can do whatever you want for siding.

I have enough walls opened up from the inside running new wiring to know what's in there. I can do blown in from the inside also. There will be a lot of new sheetrock.

I pulled some siding off one end of the house to see what was there. Metal siding over aspestos. The aspestos is in good condition except for the bottom few rows where I had to patch a hole where previous duct work was. The aspestos is over tar paper the diagonal shiplap. There is construction paper type stuff over the corners.
The house has newer windows but they are installed weird. They have a nailing flange but it sits on a frame set back from the sheathing a little over an inch. I am guessing this wa done so they didn't have to redo the trim inside? They added filler areound the outside then cappped with trim. There was no signs of water intrusion but the design seams bad.
i have a guy coming out for my 3rd quote. I can already tell he is another vinyl guy even though he is coming to give a Hardie estimate.
it seams like real wood would be nicer all the way around except for painting or staining.

Is that the insulation version of Asperger's?:flipoff2:

All our places are vinyl. :laughing:

Easy to replace. Endless colors. Its not bad job to do. Doesn't rot away. No painting.

Don't buy cheap vinyl and you won't have all the issues. The vinyl siding on our house is almost 30 years old and still looks good. The PO used a decent grade of siding so it would last. Issues with pieces buckling or falling off is almost always due to a shitty install.

What would be the cons of a brick house?

Once the mortar starts to go the rest of it isn't far behind. It's even worse if you live somewhere cold enough for water to freeze in there. I'd rather reside a building than repoint one

Once the mortar starts to go the rest of it isn't far behind. It's even worse if you live somewhere cold enough for water to freeze in there. I'd rather reside a building than repoint one

also shows settling a bit more than other solutions... just found a very minor settling crack in my house and it's driving my OCD nuts.

I am not the biggest fan of vinyl, but F hardie. All my neighbors and friends with hardie have places where chunks have broken off because the lawnmower bumped it, they put a ladder against it, hail, etc. I keep thinking a better solution has to be coming along.

asbestos fiber-cement
the magical miracle mineral

Initial Cost. Ease of repairs (matching brick and/or mortar). Ease/cost of window replacement.

I have a window A/C unit that was cut in. :mad3:
I will remove it and attempt to match the brick. This is why people paint their brick houses.:laughing:

Top Back Refresh