What's new

Hough H25, yay or nay?

arse_sidewards

Contrary to everything
Member Number
Found one locally for cheap. Needs a fuel system and brake work. Hasn't run in a decade because they had problems with the propane conversion and parked it. $800.

I think as long as the engine turns over I can turn back around and sell it for what I have into it limiting my potential downside

I'd use it for pushing snow, operating a post hole auger and of course picking things up and putting them down.

Longer term I'm holding out for a Michigan 125a size machine (lifting capacity well north of 7k is kind of a requirement considering the kinds of objects I dick around with) but I feel like a mini machine is nice to have as a hold-over and once I have a bigger machine the mini can get whored around to who/where ever needs it.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilsy2t3KxkY

What say IBB? Anything specific I should look out for when I check it out Monday?

Found one locally for cheap. Needs a fuel system and brake work. Hasn't run in a decade because they had problems with the propane conversion and parked it. $800.

I think as long as the engine turns over I can turn back around and sell it for what I have into it limiting my potential downside

I'd use it for pushing snow, operating a post hole auger and of course picking things up and putting them down.

Longer term I'm holding out for a Michigan 125a size machine (lifting capacity well north of 7k is kind of a requirement considering the kinds of objects I dick around with) but I feel like a mini machine is nice to have as a hold-over and once I have a bigger machine the mini can get whored around to who/where ever needs it.

What say IBB? Anything specific I should look out for when I check it out Monday?

What's his name building "midnight panic" on here has one he uses sitting outside his shop. Maybe he can shed some light on them

Man, I was like "buy that shit" but it needs fuel system and brakes, and it's just a stop gap till you find what you really want, I'd buy it for free or scrap value. Or maybe see if the engine is sought after, with comparing auction results

repairing brakes on an obsolete machine gets expensive and time consuming fast

I'd probably look for the machine you want with one major failure, ie a freshly killed engine, rebuild the engine as a winter project, and come out the other side with something nicer for similar time/ money

That's pretty much a forklift with a bucket. Probably ok on flat hard ground and parking lots but I would not expect much from it. But 800 bucks, its cool enough for that. Get running and a reseller paint job and you will get your money back.

Learn to embed:

Didn't know what a Hough H25 was and didn't want to go to YouTube.

As much as I love old broke equipment with hard to impossible to find parts, unless its reeeeeeaaaal cheap, or a real easy fix, I'd probably keep looking for something that will do everything you want and not be a stopgap

I just need to plow a driveway and move things around the shop. I'm not expecting to do dirt work in a mud pit.

I'm not really concerned about the fuel system. New chinese carbs are cheap. If I got it I'd stick the propane system on a shelf.

Are these wet brake or dry brake? What kind of money am I looking at assuming it needs new shoes all around?

Other than making sure the engine isn't locked up, rodents haven't eaten all the wiring and that there isn't water in either oil is there anything specific I should be looking for when I go to check it out?

This machine is $800. Incomplete 40-60yo skid steers that need something major to run go for up to $2k around here. Antiquated front end loaders of the size I want are regularly available $2-$6k. Getting something small (this or a skid steer) would enable me to put off getting a big loader for a very long time (could get by without it up until I need to wrangle beams to build my new garage) which would be nice

Skipped_Link, you know anything about these?

Offer $400 I'm in for a new irate project :grinpimp:
Enjoy watching you fuckers build junk into usable junk.

No rops is a no go for me. Do what you want but shit happens way to quick not to have something protecting your melon.

2wd rear steer is gonna blow for any type of no forklift type work. See how he has to hit the bank at 15 to get a bucket.

How terrible will it really be? The only time it's gonna leave pavement is to clear snow from the dirt parking spaces that dot my property. Tires are small so some V-bar chains should be cheap enough.

I'm torn here between a machine that weighs 12k-18k and is overkill for almost all of what I do but would be just right once a year and something tiny like this or an antiquated skid steer that would be perfect 99% of the time and would require complex rigging and asshole puckering once a year.

Sounds like you want it.... go get it.

I want to not want it. I want a bigger machine. But right now I have no machine and know that realistically I can make do with a smaller machine.

You guys are supposed to be telling me to buy the massive machine I don't need. :flipoff2:

Just got off the phone with the seller. I'm gonna check it out at 4pm today. He said he doesn't know if it's even equipped with brakes. He said he they didn't work when he got it and it never bothered him. He said 10yr ago he was driving it, he started smelling burning electrical and so he stopped it and it's been sitting in that exact spot since then. He said the propane conversion is wonky and that it will start and run fine at first but eventually only be able to idle. Sounds like ice to me. I assume the fact that it ran like shit is why he had no motivation to fix the wiring.

Edit: Oh and he bought it from a foundry so it has completely bald solid rubber tires but it "works just fine outdoors with chains".

Last edited:
I have no experience with said machine, but anything of that size is very handy to have around. It looks like it pre dates the era of skid steers, like they took a forklift and made it into a loader. Its old, so going to need work but if you got the time to tinker with it and a little money to throw at it, it could be a good find. Just hope parts are still avail

For $800? F- it, why not? Worse case scenario you can always scrap it for a hundred bucks

Doesnt look like it lifts high enough to be useful for anything. I purposely live somewhere without snow.

Hard pass from my point of view.

Went to look at it. It's pretty clear why this guy didn't fix it 10yr ago. His place is a graveyard for anything with an engine. He has half a dozen bigger tractors and fork lifts and this one is the least ergonomic to get into or out of and he's of the weight and age where that is important.

It has a downward facing side exhaust and the intake was covered. Oil was present with no apparent water. There was no good way to get a wrench on the crank but the engine seemed locked up from lightly tugging on the fan (I'm smarter than to heave on it and break it). We agreed I'd come back on Saturday/Sunday and that we'd dick around trying to get a battery on it and see if we could turn it over with the starter. Hour meter says 1050 but it's probably broken. Machine is complete other than the seat that was replaced with wood at some point but he said I can grab any one I want from the parts pile.

Anyone got any idea what engine this is? I assume that's some sort of governor integrated with the distributor.

IMG_20201026_155851_032.jpg
IMG_20201026_155913_991.jpg
IMG_20201026_155921_971.jpg

And for what it's worth this is the perfect size machine for me. With a small boom or A-frame it will lift everything I need. I have no intention of piling dump trucks 5ft over the rails like a crazy yooper. Width is 4' 5" and length is 9' 6" so it will fit on the 6x12 Uhaul. :flipoff2:

I think it would be pretty cool all running and functional. $800 is cheap entry price

It’s probably a Ford industrial or a Waukesha engine. Just half assed guesses lol.

I think it would be pretty cool all running and functional. $800 is cheap entry price

It needs a lot of work but it's complete and provided I can get the engine un-stuck this weekend it will be mine.

If anyone has tips on getting an engine that's been sitting for a decade unstuck I'm all ears. Plan so far is to stop by and hit the cylinders with PB blaster and ATF some day after work and the try and use the starter to spin it this weekend. I'm wondering if I can bore scope it then hook a porta power to whichever cylinder is mid-stroke and try and force it to break free that way.

Last edited:
It needs a lot of work but it's complete and provided I can get the engine un-stuck this weekend it will be mine.

If anyone has tips on getting an engine that's been sitting for a decade unstuck I'm all ears. Plan so far is to stop by and hit the cylinders with PB blaster and ATF some day after work and the try and use the starter to spin it this weekend. I'm wondering if I can bore scope it then hook a porta power to whichever cylinder is mid-stroke and try and force it to break free that way.

Pull the plugs and hose the cylinders down with whatever magic in a can you like the best and then try the starter before even dreaming about having to go any further... If the starter doesn't break it loose then I'd try to get on the crank pulley with a chain wrench or something similar. If that doesn't bust her loose then I would walk away from it and let the guy who already owns it continue owning it. If you're really dead set on it then pull the head and clean up the cylinder bores that are fucked with a hone.

If it is as you said and the intake was covered and exhaust wasn't funneling water into it then I doubt it will be stuck enough that the starter won't break it free. Remember to pull the plugs back out before trying to crank it over the first time after hosing all that penetrating oil and ATF into the cylinders...

After you do what these guys mentioned, you should also prime the engine with oil. Crank the starter over for 15 seconds 3 times without starting it. Disable fuel system if you can to prevent engine starting.

After you do what these guys mentioned, you should also prime the engine with oil. Crank the starter over for 15 seconds 3 times without starting it. Disable fuel system if you can to prevent engine starting.

I foresee more than 15 seconds worth of cranking being needed before it even attempts to start even without disabling anything.

Typically the pump bolts to the front of the crank, no way to get a breaker bar on it without pulling the pump off the front

you can probably drop the starter and try to grab a tooth and rock it

I'd put some pb blaster in the holes

but imo, if it's seized, you need to pay 300 or less, and deal with a mess

I'd look for a somewhat operational $1800 forklift and not look back

Went to look at it. It's pretty clear why this guy didn't fix it 10yr ago. His place is a graveyard for anything with an engine. He has half a dozen bigger tractors and fork lifts and this one is the least ergonomic to get into or out of and he's of the weight and age where that is important.

It has a downward facing side exhaust and the intake was covered. Oil was present with no apparent water. There was no good way to get a wrench on the crank but the engine seemed locked up from lightly tugging on the fan (I'm smarter than to heave on it and break it). We agreed I'd come back on Saturday/Sunday and that we'd dick around trying to get a battery on it and see if we could turn it over with the starter. Hour meter says 1050 but it's probably broken. Machine is complete other than the seat that was replaced with wood at some point but he said I can grab any one I want from the parts pile.

Anyone got any idea what engine this is? I assume that's some sort of governor integrated with the distributor.

that ballast resistor has Chrysler written all over it.

Top Back Refresh