What's new

Honda TRX300FW

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Widow lady has a honda 300 4x4 quad that is just sitting in the shed unused. Thing looks great, no broken plastic, tires are worn but since no dash on those old 300s no idea how many miles or hours on it. It's been sitting long enough the carb is most likely gummed up. her farm manager said it would run last spring if they shot a little ether in it but wouldn't stay running. I am gonna take it home, clean the carb and fuel tank if necessary so I can use it at her place to spray thistles and sprouts. I asked her about selling it but I have no idea what it's worth. Local FBMP is anywhere from $1000 -3500. the low end being a ridden hard by a kid and most likely swamped since he claims it smoked like hell and it's got a snorkel on it.

I don't really need it but have a soft spot for those old Hondas. If I do get it bought I will most likely keep it at my Dad's and use it there for spraying sprouts, and let Dad put around on it. He's 75 and having trouble walking any distance at all and it would be much easier for him to use a quad instead of his Camry to drive down to the pond.

Ultra sonic cleaner is your friend when it comes to those carbs. Run it through 2 or 3 times then blow out the ports. But I imagine you know that.

My dad has a couple old honda 300s probably exactly what you are looking at. They tend to use some oil and be less power than other brand 300s but they almost always run. take a lot of abuse.

fun project for sure. I would think even $1,000 is too high personally.
I would be thinking it is worth more like $600-$800 and maybe that is generous. But I understand you are dealing with friends and neighbors. So you probably should pay more.

I paid $800 For a kodiak 400 that needed a carb, not running, and tires. The blue one in the picture is a suzuki 700. It needed the carbs gone through, not running I paid $750

Carbs are a lost art, the market is getting smaller for people that want them.

The other two red ones in the picture are my dad's honda 300s.

IMG_20211203_114534611_HDR.jpg

When I asked her about it she at first said no I don't wanna sell it. then 2 sentences later she asked me if she could just give it to me. I said no, I want to pay something for it. I said talk to the guys (farm managers) and ask them if they use it at all. They have a sxs there they use for checking cows with so that is why it sits. I said if they don't use it then ask them what it's worth and we can go from there. I have a feeling she will try to give it to me or it's gonna be really cheap. I just wanted her to ask the guys to price it so nobody can claim I am trying to get one over on her..

If I do buy it I will throw some new tires on it with a little more lug. the originals are probably 30-40% now.

What year?

The front and rear bearings tend to go out. Easy to fix, but they just don't seem to seal up that great from water mud.

I totally get it. It has value and nobody will treat her better on it than you. It is nice thing to do.

You can usually find decent used tires for $100 if you are patient. The ones I put on the 400 kodiak were $75 and 3/4s tread. But they were oem and it seems most people want something more aggressive.

What year?

The front and rear bearings tend to go out. Easy to fix, but they just don't seem to seal up that great from water mud.
I am not sure on year. her late husband took very good care of his vehicles and tools so it's hard to judge on appearance. I will pick it up this evening and look up the VIN to find out what year.

I had a 400 Foreman about 15 years ago that i am still kicking myself for selling. Not sporty at all but those Foremans are built like tanks. been casually looking for one for a few months and a ragged out one will bring $2k. nicer ones go for $2800 on up.

grabbed the quad last night and cleaned the carb. drained the old gas out of the tank and dumped in some non ethanol and it runs like a top. need to stop at the dealer and pick up an air filter and oil change kit. the air filter foam was completely gone. I think age deteriorated. no mouse nest in the airbox. I did find out it's a '98 model year. plastic is in good shape and tires are fair. I was hoping she would sell but she said she's too attached to it to let it go now. I told her I understand but if she changes her mind to let me know. For now I will just use it around her place spraying sprouts and thistles. :grinpimp:

That is awesome. So '98 that is like a newer one. Wouldn't call that old at all. LOL

same here on foam filters, not sure what it is but they just fall apart eventually.

Fun project, glad you got it going so easily.

grabbed the quad last night and cleaned the carb. drained the old gas out of the tank and dumped in some non ethanol and it runs like a top. need to stop at the dealer and pick up an air filter and oil change kit. the air filter foam was completely gone. I think age deteriorated. no mouse nest in the airbox. I did find out it's a '98 model year. plastic is in good shape and tires are fair. I was hoping she would sell but she said she's too attached to it to let it go now. I told her I understand but if she changes her mind to let me know. For now I will just use it around her place spraying sprouts and thistles. :grinpimp:
That's great on getting it running again. I have a soft spot for the TRX300's as it (a used 2000 model in 2002) was the first quad I ever bought at the age of 14. It was definitely a tank and would love to have another around just because/for old time sake.

Top Back Refresh