What's new

Home well pump auto shut off switch?

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
So my home is on a water well with a pump. I frequently leave for 12-16 hrs some days. I haven't had this issue but if a pipe bursts in my home the well pump would run until I turned it off. So is there an auto switch that would turn off the well after a set time like 30 min to 1 hr ?

Moen sells a main shut off valve that learns your typical water usage, and will shut off if it thinks there's a problem. Adding one is on my list, but they aren't cheap, $500ish last time I checked.

So my home is on a water well with a pump. I frequently leave for 12-16 hrs some days. I haven't had this issue but if a pipe bursts in my home the well pump would run until I turned it off. So is there an auto switch that would turn off the well after a set time like 30 min to 1 hr ?
We custom make them... there isn't anything commercially available that does what ours does, that I am aware of.

A two pole breaker in your pump house ?

That isn't going to help him any.

He needs a timer system that will time out on a cycle after a pre set amount of time.

A remote switched contactor with a timer or just switch the contactor off on your way out the door.

1000040288.jpg
1000040289.jpg

If you're in to the whole smart home thing, GE makes a 40a zwave contactor. You could easily set it up with a switch, button, voice control or smart phone shortcut to turn off after a preset amount of time. I've been meaning to do something similar as I have nightmares about a pipe breaking while I'm not home. My house is effectively a giant basement and it would be an absolute shit show. I usually try to turn the breaker off if I'm leaving for more than a day or so, but it could just as easily happen when you're gone for an hour or two.

Ideally I'd set it up with a smart home routine that see when my phone gets a certain distance from the house, it assumes I'm gone and shuts the power off to the pump.

1711802682263.png

This. Most leaks will be slower than the pump, so the pressure tank will allow the pump to cycle on and off anyway, possibly defeating a protection device.
A valid point.

The Moen shutoff has the option of installing water sensors as well that can be set up to work with the shutoff to provide additional security - either flow or water sensor(s) will trigger shutoff.

Turn the breaker off
This. Most leaks will be slower than the pump, so the pressure tank will allow the pump to cycle on and off anyway, possibly defeating a protection device.

Breakers aren't switches and have a limited number of cycles. And I admittedly still flip my breaker because I haven't yet installed a switch. :homer:

:flipoff2:
Is the more correct analog solution.

Every 3 wire well pump motor draws more than 30 amps per leg.

That switch doesn't have enough capacity, when its switched back on it could likely exceed its rating.

Every 3 wire well pump motor draws more than 30 amps per leg.

That switch doesn't have enough capacity, when its switched back on it could likely exceed its rating.

Wut? :laughing:

Given your recent posts regarding low voltage wiring, I'm not sure I trust your judgement on high voltage stuff.

Locked rotor amps are majority above 30 amps.

Worse case scenario.

Locked rotor amps are majority above 30 amps.

Worse case scenario.

Switches and wires are designed for start up loads. If the motor pulled more than was safe for the wiring, the breaker would trip. That's why it's there.

Using a breaker as a switch is not a proper long-term solution for OP's needs.

Turn the breaker off
This. I leave my house for several days at a time and just flip the breaker in the well house off. If I ever hit the lifespan on the breaker I’ll replace it. I have extra breakers in the well house already but haven’t needed one in the 11 years I’ve been doing this.

Using a breaker as a switch is not a proper long-term solution for OP's needs.

Sure, but it also depends on how often you expect to turn off the pump. Daily? Spend the coin/effort and install a switch (and you can locate it more convenient than the breaker box). 3 times a year for travel, flipping the breaker wont be any significant issue.

Just cause there is the "right" way to do something, if the need is infrequent enough, the shortcut may be fine. Kinda like why Harbor Freight is still in business.

So where in the system would one put the switch keeping in mind its not a 120v circuit most pump setups use two 120v hots, I know M92PV4U knows where to put it Im asking the local gentry.

Would using the manual water shut off valve do away with the "using breaker bad" argument?

My well is going to be 1500' from the house and on its own transformer so shutting off the pump itself is impractical.

Whenever any house I have owned is going to be vacant for several days I have always shut off the water at the valve.

:flipoff2:

So where in the system would one put the switch keeping in mind its not a 120v circuit most pump setups use two 120v hots, I know M92PV4U knows where to put it Im asking the local gentry.

Install that switch before the pressure switch, try to limit the amount of times you switch it under a load.

Thanks, I was trying to ask others I knew and knew that you knew, you fucked it up beautifully.

Install that switch before the pressure switch, try to limit the amount of times you switch it under a load.

Would using the manual water shut off valve do away with the "using breaker bad" argument?

My well is going to be 1500' from the house and on its own transformer so shutting off the pump itself is impractical.

Whenever any house I have owned is going to be vacant for several days I have always shut off the water at the valve.
It doesn't protect against a breakage before the valve.

Top Back Refresh