What's new

Home Shop Hydraulic Line Crimping Tool?

So I just totally rebuilt a backhoe attachment for my Bobcat. Its a 709 hoe from back in the day. I knew buying it that it needed a hose or two and eventually would need some rod seals... ha. First time I put pressure to it, anything that could leak, was leaking. So I bought some cylinder rebuild tools. Learned about seal kits and sizes and found out all that shit is dirt cheap if you piece it together. I also built a bush hog converted over to Hydro Aux drive and made all my own hoses, to spec, in the shop, out of in stock hardware.

As for hoses... back a few years ago I was helping a buddy build a mega truck and it came time to make the big hoses for the hydro-steering... Well, he had two weeks of fuckery trying to get the shop to make the right hoses with the right ends with the right clocking of the fittings; talking some -12 and -16 size stuff as well as the -8 for the ram (big mega truck). On the third weekend of attempt to assemble and the hoses were still not right, despite the specs being right I jumped on local CL and found a guy selling a "mobile crimping tool, some hose, and a bucket of fittings for $1200. So I said fuck it, my dad has a tractor, my grandfather has a tractor that started eating hoses so I figured I'd buy it. TOTALLY WORTH IT FOR SAVING TIME. The bucket of fittings was worth it honestly, now that years later I am still finding random goodies in it. Actually, I had a bunch of big ORFS fittings left so I spent like $40 in adapters and was able to use them all vs having to buy any new fittings for the bushhog project.

I'm buds with that guy that runs Discount Hydraulic; kinda helped him get the social media thing moving and he's killing it now. So he helps out with fittings and stuff when I order but they have all the stuff you'll ever need and are a great resource. Super close to you, hell you could drive there and stock up even, he's in East PA.

The other thing I've done recently, now that I've had a few back to back hydraulic hose projects is to hawk CL and FB for spools of hose. Its expensive normally, but occasionally you end up with someone who bought an older roll of something odd at an auction or whatever and they have NO use for it. If you snag fittings, hose, etc over time and are willing to plan ahead or when you order fittings for a project, buy 2 extra and throw them in a box, you will be good to go. I picked up a roll of 420' of 2 wire, brand new, from some meth head while on a road trip through WV.

Owning the older Bobcat now, with the attachments, etc etc, its been worth it. I was given a grapple bucket that needed seals and hoses as well, in trade for using it to help move some stuff in a junk yard. I have about $200 in seals, hoses, fittings, and hose guard and have a $2500 Bobcat brand industrial grapple.
20210324_120432.jpg

20210526_192338.jpg

Gonna need more pics of that bush hog setup.

What's the flow requirement on that motor?

Just looking at prices online and material cost is less than half what I paid.

recently looking into getting a machine set up. the hose rep i talked to said most shops are in the double to triple the price of materials to make the hose... i didn't relize there are so many different types and quality levels

i was given an older weather head machine, it came with dies.

having zero experience i called the local hose rep he came out and said i need new dies and the plate thing in the machine. to get all the dies and plate to do 2 wire hose up to 1" he said i could get for under $1k. still haven't pulled the trigger yet put probably will soon enough.

Owning the older Bobcat now, with the attachments, etc etc, its been worth it. I was given a grapple bucket that needed seals and hoses as well, in trade for using it to help move some stuff in a junk yard. I have about $200 in seals, hoses, fittings, and hose guard and have a $2500 Bobcat brand industrial grapple.

I've been following you on Instagram. It's been making me want to sell my wheeled Bobcat and pick up a T180 or T190. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist, eBay, and FB Marketplace for crimpers and materials and will continue to do so.

i was given an older weather head machine, it came with dies.

having zero experience i called the local hose rep he came out and said i need new dies and the plate thing in the machine. to get all the dies and plate to do 2 wire hose up to 1" he said i could get for under $1k. still haven't pulled the trigger yet put probably will soon enough.
just get you some fittings and hose
smashulate the shit until it looks right
you aren't a braindead retard so you don't need the "correct" dies that will stop in the exact right place

just get you some fittings and hose
smashulate the shit until it looks right
you aren't a braindead retard so you don't need the "correct" dies that will stop in the exact right place

i've purposely done dumber shit. and will be trying this before paying up.

unless i got a customer to buy the good stuff before i get around to it... in that case i'll probably put the old stuff for sale, or give it to the next guy i see wanting to do some homemade press

i've purposely done dumber shit. and will be trying this before paying up.

unless i got a customer to buy the good stuff before i get around to it... in that case i'll probably put the old stuff for sale, or give it to the next guy i see wanting to do some homemade press

For what its worth, I don't use "Gates" fittings in my Gates Crimper and I don't always use the branded hoses that match the branded fittings in the position with the stop plates in my machine. The first crimp, I always just run shallow and slowly adjust my stop plate thickness until it looks right. A lot of the crimp dies these days have a "button" that exposes when the crimp is fully seated. When it is almost or very much near flush with a rib left from the crimper, I know its good.

Gonna need more pics of that bush hog setup.

What's the flow requirement on that motor?

Its a 16 gpm for that setup. If you go over to the stuff I made thread in this shop and tools forum, there are some pictures two or 3 pages back. @powerwagonbuilder on IG has some more pics even yet, if you play in that social media realm.

Here is another example of the use of the crimper, granted a hose shop could probably make your hoses cheaper than Bobcat is selling them for, however, they are weird lengths and fighting this heavy thick 3/4" hose when its only 22" long is quite a pain in the ass.
Did a drive motor replacement (which is now turning into a drive and charge pump replacement) due to just worn out - I knew this day was coming when I bought the machine 450 hours ago.
I was able to assemble my new hoses much more easily, right next to the machine and even moved a case drain housing to a little easier to reach spot by making the primary case drain hose a touch longer with a different angled end on it. Yes, stupid thing is old enough to have two different brake hoses.

So examples of money saved granted add another $12 for tax and $15 for shipping to the fitting and hose order. I actually have some lighter hose on hand for the 3/8" but went with the high abrasion resistance stuff in this application.

bobcatpartshoses.JPG

DHHBobcatorder.JPG

I have one. I called a hose provider and bought it off lease. I think it cost me $800 with two dies, a -06 and -08

So, looking into this again. Next question is what fittings? Just looking at no-skive fittings on Parker's website lists about two dozen or more options. Granted, some of those can be weeded out (European, Marine, etc). A few more can be eliminated because there is a limited range of fittings. For my Bobcat equipment, I'm looking at medium pressure, so that eliminates some more. But any guidance on what series to look for as (mostly) a series needs its own special dies? Like, I should be looking at a crimper that does xxx series fittings and that should cover most of what I want to do? The Parker 43, 46, 48 series have the widest range of fittings available and Parker says that the 43 series is their best selling. If I found a crimper and dies that worked with that would I be in good shape? Or any other suggestions?

Just received a email from Discount Hydraulic Hose saying their having a sale.

May have some good deals right now.
Yea, they moved shop and are basically yard sale-ing anything that they didn't want to keep selling, or was an old stock, slightly damaged, etc.

They may be having a sale, but don't expect to get anything from them either. Ordered a couple hoses June 11, 2 weeks with no shipment, comms, notification, etc. and when I finally sent an email it mysteriously shipped that day. Ordered another couple hoses 19 July and have yet to see them, or hear anything. Honestly I'd forgotten I even ordered them. Understand backorders, churn moving locations, etc., but the complete lack of any form of communication or follow up is a touch frustrating. I like the idea of getting custom hoses, and the prices are reasonable, but I also expect to actually get what I bought in less than 2 months.

Top Back Refresh