What's new

Home Shop Hydraulic Line Crimping Tool?

PAToyota

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
South Central Pennsylvania, USA
So I was watching Colin Furze build his James Bond car and he pulls out this little tool and swages his own hydraulic lines...

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 09.45.34 AM Apr.11.21.png

Did some searching and found it online: https://swagingmachines.com/products/banner-bs10h-portable/

It'll do 6mm to 20mm lines. Obviously, the downside is that it is metric.

Does anyone know of any similar options available in the US that won't break the bank?

the thread together "reusable" fittings are a lot more expensive, but when you compare them to a crimping tool they're a no-brainer

What size lines (diameter) -4 - -12 is what I use.

Material of hose ? Rubber stainless, Teflon stainless ?

Working Pressure ?

Hose ends I'm mostly familiar with are straight, 45° and 90° made by Aeroquip / parker.

I mean, why?

It's so cheap and easy to have them made. Ven our small town orilleys will make them for you.

Stocking all the fittings you need would probably rival or exceed the price of the crimper.

Or, field serviceable fittings.

I rebuilt a mini-ex a number of years ago. All the lines added up. The shop also screwed a few of them up (I know, find a different shop).

I've got another similar project coming up and have also needed other hoses over the years.

I'd buy the fittings I needed for a project rather than have a whole mess of them on hand for any possible situation.

[486 said:
;n376777]the thread together "reusable" fittings are a lot more expensive, but when you compare them to a crimping tool they're a no-brainer

how's the longevity/durability of those compared to regular crimped ones?

how's the longevity/durability of those compared to regular crimped ones?

I dunno, the hose is always what rots out first
bonus is that you just thread them back apart and stick in a new section of dirt cheap hose with the right number of wire jackets in it, 20 bucks at the hyd shop instead of $200

Can you use an AC line crimper tool to crimp hydraulic fittings? Or are the hydraulic fittings larger/stiffer enough that it wouldn't work?

Just bought an AC crimper tool and it's very stout, basically a hand-actuated hydraulic ram with a bunch of 1/4" plate that holds the dies in place. Seems like it'd be good enough.

Can you use an AC line crimper tool to crimp hydraulic fittings? Or are the hydraulic fittings larger/stiffer enough that it wouldn't work?

Just bought an AC crimper tool and it's very stout, basically a hand-actuated hydraulic ram with a bunch of 1/4" plate that holds the dies in place. Seems like it'd be good enough.

i fucking doubt it.

Hyd crimpers use a large cylinder pushing on a steep wedge.

You can usually find an old Parker hose machine for sale reasonably priced with some internet searching, as far as crimpers go there the most idiot proof that i`ve come across, select the right die, put the hose through it in the machine, wiggle the fitting on to the proper depth, slide fitting into land on the die and hit the switch.

Probably not an option for a home/hobby shop, but I worked in a fab shop that did a decent bit of hydraulic work. Parker provided us a hydraulic crimper and chop saw for hose, no extra cost as long as we were using their hose and fittings.

I spent several times that on the hoses for the mini-ex...
You realize that you'll need a variety of dies, and you'll still have to buy the fittings and hose. How much is your local place really charging you for labor per hose?

I mean, I'm all for diy, but it will take a while to pay off.

Most guys I know make their own hose to save down time, not really to save money.

There are so many different sizes and type of hydraulic fittings, it can turn into a big headache fast.

Just adapt everything to use standard sized NPT hoses that you can get a TSC.

fun to say
hard to do
There's always a few things that wind up being damn near impossible/impractical. Usually the big lines coming right off of pumps and whatnot. I've been converting my loader one leaking hose at a time.

Good luck with those TS hydro hoses, they deteriorate quickly. Cheap dogshit

You realize that you'll need a variety of dies, and you'll still have to buy the fittings and hose. How much is your local place really charging you for labor per hose?

I mean, I'm all for diy, but it will take a while to pay off.

Most guys I know make their own hose to save down time, not really to save money.

There are so many different sizes and type of hydraulic fittings, it can turn into a big headache fast.

I went back through my records and see I spent just under $2K for the hoses on the mini-ex about ten years ago - and it needs some others replaced now... Then there is the skid loader...

As for sizes, most of the stuff is the same size hose and fittings except for the main lines off the pump. So I can get a roll of hose, the dies for that size, and the fittings I need and be able to replace 90%+ of the hoses on it. The few remaining ones it's likely I'd just use the local hose shop. I can keep my eye out for used dies and see what prices I can get here and there rather than buying new.

Just adapt everything to use standard sized NPT hoses that you can get a TSC.

Bobcat likes to cram as much into as little space as possible. This is from before I started the replacement project. Converting everything over to NPT and getting it to fit is going to multiply the complexity of the job significantly... And I agree with posford on TSC's hose quality.

IMG_1694.JPG

Yeah I wouldn't want to have to track down which shitty hose failed in that mess :laughing:

I went back through my records and see I spent just under $2K for the hoses on the mini-ex about ten years ago - and it needs some others replaced now... Then there is the skid loader...

As for sizes, most of the stuff is the same size hose and fittings except for the main lines off the pump. So I can get a roll of hose, the dies for that size, and the fittings I need and be able to replace 90%+ of the hoses on it. The few remaining ones it's likely I'd just use the local hose shop. I can keep my eye out for used dies and see what prices I can get here and there rather than buying new.

Bobcat likes to cram as much into as little space as possible. This is from before I started the replacement project. Converting everything over to NPT and getting it to fit is going to multiply the complexity of the job significantly... And I agree with posford on TSC's hose quality.

IMG_1694.JPG
You keep saying you spent $2k, like if you made them yourself, it would be free. I'd wonder how much of that $2k is just materials. It may cost you $1800 to make all the same hoses yourself, plus the tool cost and time.

If you live 45 mins from the closest hose shop, I guess I get it. But even small towns usually have a few.

Top Back Refresh