What's new

Home HVAC questiosn

Pt_Ranger_v8

A dministrator
Member Number
Loc
flyover land
So, I'm getting ready to spend money on a new heat pump system to replace what I currently have.

House is ~~1600 sq condition space, 8' ceilings, single zone, dual return. Windows are dual pane, mostly on east/west sides of the house.

Current specs:
3-ton heat pump/air handler (downflow)
15KW aux heat strip add ins
Carrier, made in ~1994, with R-22.

I'm looking to replace the heat pump, air handler, and line set myself, then have a local contractor make the lineset connections and charge it for me. Mid Oklahoma region, what am I going to spend? Anyone have any reputable websites to buy from?

I'm not opposed to swapping out the heat strips for gas heat so I can run it off a small generator during a power outage, if required. Looking for around a 16 seer unit/9 hspf or so. (no clue on my current system hspf).

Biggest attraction is cost savings, cold weather operation (I want it to work down to 20*, but that's not realistic, I don't think).

I'm planning on reusing my existing ductwork, and replacing thermostat to a more modern programmable to replace my ancient programmable. Don't want/need a "smart" thermostat - just programmable.

What say the wise guys of IBB?

Out here
I just specd that system out to 8 shops installed...
Tween $8-12k

Don’t get the modern programmable thermostat, and it’s my opinion Heat pumps SUCK for most applications.

they sell a fuck ton of them but I like traditional furnaces.

do you have gas at all?

how often does the weather in your area fall between 60 & 40? Because that 20 degree span is why you are going through all the heat pump bull shit. When you could just go traditional heat.

Last edited:
Bout half, I retired my contractor lic. # so I cannot nail cost...
thee wildcard was 19k BAWHAHAHAFukk

Furnaces run off 115v. Fan coils run off 230/1. So if you have existing fan coil swapping to gas will require a new power connection.

2 stage heat pump should help with heating, but heat pumps below 32* or so are not great unless they are inverter and those are $$$ and require special thermostats.

Daikin Fit is an inverter that is supposed to be near the 2 stage price. With the inverter you probably won't need the strip heat.

I had a 5 ton heat pump installed last year. The system is warranted for 10 years; HVAC contractor is local and well respected. The HVAC man did his homework and nailed a great system for my home. I can easily expect a 5-6 year return on my investment. BTW: HVAC peeps flushed the existing line set with magic solvent and gas. Purged, and charged with Nitrogen for leak test.
IMHO: Let the pro's do it and never look back. :smokin:

It can be difficult to get a HVAC contractor to install your supplied equipment, and they most likely won’t warranty it.

i have no complaints about my interaction with HVAC wholesalers for equipment Purchase. I bought a line set from an is based eBay seller for about half of what I could find it for elsewhere. eBay Honeywell lyric thermostats were also cheapest on eBay.

Last edited:
I had a 5 ton heat pump installed last year. The system is warranted for 10 years; HVAC contractor is local and well respected. The HVAC man did his homework and nailed a great system for my home. I can easily expect a 5-6 year return on my investment. BTW: HVAC peeps flushed the existing line set with magic solvent and gas. Purged, and charged with Nitrogen for leak test.
IMHO: Let the pro's do it and never look back. :smokin:
With electricity cost what they have been, you won’t see a 5-6 year return.
I don’t care what you paid or what you had. Power is too cheap.

with Biden as President..... I imagine power will go up, and MAYBE, (but I still doubt it)

with Biden as President..... I imagine power will go up, and MAYBE, (but I still doubt it)

I was sucking on propane...fucking murder! The new heat-pump is 19 SEER with all the fancy "brushless DC motors" and 5 stage compressor. The old AC-Heater was a bottom of line unit; both sucked balls for cooling and heating.

Don’t get the modern programmable thermostat, and it’s my opinion Heat pumps SUCK for most applications.

they sell a fuck ton of them but I like traditional furnaces.

do you have gas at all?

how often does the weather in your area fall between 60 & 40? Because that 20 degree span is why you are going through all the heat pump bull shit. When you could just go traditional heat.

Why does a heat pump suck? It's literally moving refrigerant from one condensor to another?

It can be difficult to get a HVAC contractor to install your supplied equipment, and they most likely won’t warranty it.

i have no complaints about my interaction with HVAC wholesalers for equipment Purchase. I bought a line set from an is based eBay seller for about half of what I could find it for elsewhere. eBay Honeywell lyric thermostats were also cheapest on eBay.

This is a concern. I'm not worried about warranty, really.

Man, you're really down on technology, aren't you? I'm showing a 5 ish year return on investment from 9 seer to 16 seer.

Well
here's a bit of "bother"as the brits say...
The blower motor for an old schoo! Hvac (non ic,bruchless computer driven) was say $2-300 now they are like$1200...
+1 on no warranty...
The new markup is cost +100% then p\o and labor!

Now IF efficiency can return inside 6 years then IF it lasts 10-15 years one could win....

Why does a heat pump suck? It's literally moving refrigerant from one condensor to another?

This is a concern. I'm not worried about warranty, really.

Man, you're really down on technology, aren't you? I'm showing a 5 ish year return on investment from 9 seer to 16 seer.
1. Heat pumps suck because of their limited range and poor heat. They are fine when the aux. heat kicks on, but when you are in heat pump mode it doesn’t give you the same warm feeling.

2. Payback on unit: How much a month did your electricity bill go down? Was it $100 a month???

R410 is better than R22 in heat pump mode.
Ranger, what brand unit are you looking at?

R410 is better than R22 in heat pump mode.
Ranger, what brand unit are you looking at?

I'm not picky 😄 I'm willing to put in a Goodman or a Trane.
It looks like I can get a Goodman setup for ~3k or almost any "better" brand for ~4k online.

So much bad information on here. Those that are saying heat pumps suck and have limited range are about 20 years behind. That being said, get a Bosch if you can. I’ve installed several of them including at my own house. They are inverter driven like the mini splits and still work well even in single digits. Mine is backed up by a gas furnace but in five years I’ve only burned about 60 gallons.

So much bad information on here. Those that are saying heat pumps suck and have limited range are about 20 years behind. That being said, get a Bosch if you can. I’ve installed several of them including at my own house. They are inverter driven like the mini splits and still work well even in single digits. Mine is backed up by a gas furnace but in five years I’ve only burned about 60 gallons.

Any models you recommend given your experience about them?

Out of the amount of heat pumps out there, how many do you think you’re really using the inverter technology speak of? 3%? I doubt it’s that high. But even if it’s 15% that’s 85% of people who live with heat pumps that SUCK.

Last edited:

t

company that installed mine at build said the same... do not use programmable thermostats with pumps. They don't recover fast enough to make up for the programming.

The warranty is key man. You WILL need it at some point. They build stuff to break. A compressor is probably $600-1200, an indoor fan motor is $250-1000, a condenser coil is probably $1000+, indoor coil is $500.

Top Back Refresh