What's new

Hitchhiking stories

left the speedway one night right as a cold front blew in, i see a guy walking in a t shirt. i pull over and offer him a ride. he was real thankful and tells me how him and his wife had an argument and he said pull over. so he jumped out and she took off. well i have had a few beers in me and told him i was headed towards boyd, he was like that's great. so i stop in Boyd and get some more beer and tell him i am headed to Azle. well he needs to go south also. so we grab a beer and take off. well so after we talk a bit, i find out he lives about 5 minutes east of me. so i just run him home. he got home about 5 minutes after his wife. he was telling me how good he was doing with the trot line. well i came home a few days later to about 15lbs of catfish in a 5 gallon bucket.

I was out test driving an IH travelette that id just revived out of a junkyard when I saw a young guy walking down the highway at night. Picked him up and he said he was trying to find his cousin who'd walked off from a party. We found him a mile further down the road. I took them the extra 15 miles out of my way to their families house on the Rez. They were having a discussion about what blood % they had in each tribe because your checks are based on that. I'm 0% so I didn't have much to add.

Truck made the trip and they were happy to be home so it all worked out.

I have picked up several with broke down vehicles and been picked up with broke down vehicles. Wyoming is desolate and cell service sucks. No weird stories with these ones.

Only weird one was driving home from an oil driling rig shift in the middle of the night in winter. Was about 2:00AM. Was cruising down the highway about 30 miles from any civilization and saw something shiny waving at me. Stopped and turned around. Turns out it was a survival blanket a middle aged guy and his son (8 year oldish) were wrapped up in on the side of the road. Mind you this is desolate Wyoming, middle of the night, middle of winter, nearing 0*F and I have not seen another vehicle on the road in over an hour. They also had several guns with them.

Turns out that they were out coyote hunting earlier that day and rolled their suburban. They then walked several miles back to the highway while day turned to night. They had been huddling on the side of the road for about an hour when I stopped. I took their guns and put them in the back of the truck and got them in the cab. Ended up driving them almost 50 miles the opposite direction I was going to drop them at their house. The dad did tell me he thought they were going to die out there that night and was ever grateful I had stopped. The kid was utterly exhausted, didn't say much, and fell asleep. The dad was kind of a weird dude but I probably would be too right after what he went through. Glad I stopped for that one.

Turns out it was a survival blanket a middle aged guy and his son (8 year oldish) were wrapped up in on the side of the road. Mind you this is desolate Wyoming, middle of the night, middle of winter, nearing 0*F

The dad did tell me he thought they were going to die out there that night

Can you imagine the thoughts that were going through that guys head before you came along?

I've picked up a few.. mostly if I see someone broke down.

probably 15 years ago, I'm driving back from cutting firewood in the forest.. so I'm sure I was sweaty and dirty.. and I see a woman walking.. maybe had her thumb out.. carrying a big "purse".. didnt look too bad from a distance. I pull over and before I could retract the offer of a ride I figure out she a tweaker. wants a ride to the Pine Lodge which is a local dive bar.. the kinda place where you can get a good deal on a stolen chainsaw. Its not far out of my way and figure this would be over soon enough, so OK.. she talked my ear off for 15 minutes and started getting too friendly.. I was happy to get her out of the truck.

a couple years later.. about 02:00 my dogs come un. fucking. hinged.. all 3.. absolutely loosing their shit. I run out and cant see whats going on, but someone is screaming "call off your dogs!".. I throw some clothes on and go around the house.. and find a woman tangled up in the fence.. dogs cant get to her there, but they aren't shutting up either. I tell her she needs to lose her top to get free of the fence.. about this time I figure out she's intoxicated..

a minute later I've got a drunk, topless, tweaker on my front porch.. and I'm "oh no, I know this chick". yup same girl.. got herself lost in the woods trying to walk home from the Pine Lodge.. we got her to give up a phone # to call her mom, who was not particularly pleased at the situation.. but came and picked her up.

I have picked up several with broke down vehicles and been picked up with broke down vehicles. Wyoming is desolate and cell service sucks. No weird stories with these ones.

Only weird one was driving home from an oil driling rig shift in the middle of the night in winter. Was about 2:00AM. Was cruising down the highway about 30 miles from any civilization and saw something shiny waving at me. Stopped and turned around. Turns out it was a survival blanket a middle aged guy and his son (8 year oldish) were wrapped up in on the side of the road. Mind you this is desolate Wyoming, middle of the night, middle of winter, nearing 0*F and I have not seen another vehicle on the road in over an hour. They also had several guns with them.

Turns out that they were out coyote hunting earlier that day and rolled their suburban. They then walked several miles back to the highway while day turned to night. They had been huddling on the side of the road for about an hour when I stopped. I took their guns and put them in the back of the truck and got them in the cab. Ended up driving them almost 50 miles the opposite direction I was going to drop them at their house. The dad did tell me he thought they were going to die out there that night and was ever grateful I had stopped. The kid was utterly exhausted, didn't say much, and fell asleep. The dad was kind of a weird dude but I probably would be too right after what he went through. Glad I stopped for that one.
a buddy and I left Casper late one night, couldnt find a gas station open, and decided to try and make it Laramie on the gas we had. Made it most of the way, Nobody would stop and help.. finally someone we knew came along, but barely had room for 1 more. So I stayed with the truck, and my buddy got a ride to Laramie, got his rig and gas, and by the time he got back, I was very hypothermic.. like had gone to sleep and he had a hell of a time getting me wake up.. it gets a bit chilly out there.

a buddy and I left Casper late one night, couldnt find a gas station open, and decided to try and make it Laramie on the gas we had. Made it most of the way, Nobody would stop and help.. finally someone we knew came along, but barely had room for 1 more. So I stayed with the truck, and my buddy got a ride to Laramie, got his rig and gas, and by the time he got back, I was very hypothermic.. like had gone to sleep and he had a hell of a time getting me wake up.. it gets a bit chilly out there.

That's terrifying! Glad you made it out OK. The cold can mess you up really bad and makes a bad situation much harder and much worse.

The dad/son I picked up fortunately were dressed for the weather and had some survival gear with them, but they were still in pretty rough shape when I found them. I tried to take them to the hospital ER (would have been an additional 30 miles or so), but the dad refused and insisted that I just take them home. They were kind of an off grid type of family, had several kids (all adopted), lived out of town in a pretty "rustic" house, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't really trust doctors and such. He gave me those vibes. Like I said, the dad was kind of weird, but was very grateful.

Picked some up about 3 years ago. The wife and I were cleaning a salon in town and close to quitting time I notice two teenagers (15-18) out front through the glass, we finish up and it's pisspouring rain by now, kill the power and locking up and one approaches and asks if they could bum a ride. I say sure hop in and we head to their house, about a mile up the road I get asked if we will stop at the Walmart and pick his brother up, OK sure pull up and 5 more teenagers pile in the bed of the truck.

With all the bs going on in the world today, I am already on edge with picking up the first two now 5 more! I can see my wife is about to spaz out so I put the truck I park, pull my ccw and turned and face the two in the back seat and said look motherfuckers if yall are planning on trying something stupid and I will kill all of you. I am not in the mood for any bullshit.

They said they understood and would not cause any trouble. Handed the pistol to my wife and said keep an eye on them and took em home to some apartments in the hood, no issues. Not sure if they would have tried anything stupid but I was not gonna chance it.

Dang, they were lucky. I've worked oilfields in ND and WY in winter. Gets real cold and not a lot of traffic. In fact working for Halliburton we had to file a drive plan with dispatch in winter and check in every so often, if they didn't get a call from you they'd send someone looking for you along your route.

Dang, they were lucky. I've worked oilfields in ND and WY in winter. Gets real cold and not a lot of traffic. In fact working for Halliburton we had to file a drive plan with dispatch in winter and check in every so often, if they didn't get a call from you they'd send someone looking for you along your route.
I used to work at KDOT and out plowing roads at night you were by yourself. You would have to radio in any time you got out of the truck to check something or reload and then radio in when you got back in. If they dont hear from you and cant get ahold of you within a certain time they are supposed to send someone out for you. They say they had a guy slip and fall and hit his head and freeze to death back in the day. Who knows if its true or just a story.

In 1967 I was driving my old Ford station wagon up 101 from San Francisco on a rainy summer night. It was one of those heavy Northern California storms where the wipers can’t keep up and it’s all you can do to stay in your lane. I was on my way to Eureka to spend the weekend with some friends and as I came around a corner on that dark, wet highway I saw a figure standing soaked on the shoulder with one hand holding down his straw hat and the other with a thumb out. I thought my god, it wasn’t fit for man nor beast to be out in that kind of weather so I pulled over to give the poor soul a ride. He picked up a battered guitar case and an old army surplus duffel bag off of the wet pavement and ran to my car. He opened the back door and tossed his stuff inside, slammed the door shut then hopped in the front with a relieved sigh. I asked his name and where he was heading and he replied that his name was Gary and he was hitching his way up to Eugene to join a group that was going to protest the Vietnam war the next weekend. I looked over my shoulder at his gear in the back. A peace sign was stitched to the duffel bag laying next to the pawn shop guitar and I realized that I’d picked up a fucking hippie. God damn it, I’d never get rid of him. I looked over at Gary as we pulled back onto the highway, at his long hair spilling out from under that dumb old straw hat. He was quite a bit older than me but he had a sparkle that said he had a much younger spirit than most middle aged men had in the sixties. We chatted about the war, about music, about our lives. He disagreed with just about everything I said but he kept most of his judgements to himself. After some time he pulled an old cigarette case out of jacket pocket and selected a fat joint from inside of it. We passed it back and forth as we drove. Then another, and another. Soon the rain came down even harder and we pulled over into a gravel lot to wait out the storm. We were high, and relaxed. Feeling more at ease with each other. The next thing I knew we were kissing and touching each other. We moved to the back of the wagon. Gary unzipped his duffel bag and pulled out the largest dildo I had ever seen. It was the size of my forearm and fist! I told him there was no way I could handle that thing. He said it wasn’t for me, it was for him. Then he handed it to me. I worked it into him, then buried it. Gary was electrified with it. It was sickening and exhilarating at the same time. Afterwards, without a word, we moved back to the front seat and continued on our way, eventually we passed an all night diner and he asked to be let out. I never saw him again but I think about him all these years later. I actually found him on Facebook. He’s an old man now, living in San Diego.
You sick fuck.

Went to high school in Mammoth Lakes. I had Ski PE after lunch, and art class. I used to ditch at lunch to go skiing. I would hitchhike up to the mountain. Back then it was a pretty small town. One day I got a ride from a nice local lady. Too bad she was my Moms best friend. I got busted.

I know..cool story bro. At least there was no gay shit like the post above :flipoff2:

My buddy and I got lost leaving a bar in Bahrain. When we realized we were lost and about 3 hours walking distance to where we needed to be, we started thumbing a ride.

I'll tell you Bahraini folks are super eager to pull over for a "hitch-hiker". We had thumbs out and the first three cars stopped.

My buddy and I got lost leaving a bar in Bahrain. When we realized we were lost and about 3 hours walking distance to where we needed to be, we started thumbing a ride.

I'll tell you Bahraini folks are super eager to pull over for a "hitch-hiker". We had thumbs out and the first three cars stopped.
That could've been real bad depending on the decade and the neighborhood. :laughing:

I used to work at KDOT and out plowing roads at night you were by yourself. You would have to radio in any time you got out of the truck to check something or reload and then radio in when you got back in. If they dont hear from you and cant get ahold of you within a certain time they are supposed to send someone out for you. They say they had a guy slip and fall and hit his head and freeze to death back in the day. Who knows if its true or just a story.
I believe it.

A few years back one of our drivers pulled over and got out of his truck to check on a frozen trailer brake. It so happens that when he got out his heart did something funny and he passed out. It was bitter cold out that night somewhere around 30 below. He laid there on the ground until another driver passed by and saw him there. When he got close enough to the downed man he could hear him cussin' up a storm. It turns out he had been unconscious long enough to freeze to the ground, when he came to he couldn't get up because of it. He got lucky that night because he was usually the last load but somehow that night he had moved up a couple of spots.

Hitchhiked from SF to Seattle back in '09 just to see if it could be done. Graduated college and job market was non existent due to the recession. Scraped together a little cash, threw on a pack and started walking.

Was a great adventure that I really needed at the time.

I was going somewhere in my cutlass. Dude sticks out his thumb to hitch a ride. I slammed on the brakes, locked up the tires and slid to a stop next to him. Fucker refused to get in. :lmao:

Trucker at the Huber mill my Dad worked at died in their lot.

He had pulled off to the side to tarp, slipped and ended up freezing to death.

Everyone passing by assumed he was taking a reset, which wasn't uncommon, and was only when the truck was still there the 2nd day that someone drove over there to check.

Trucker at the Huber mill my Dad worked at died in their lot.

He had pulled off to the side to tarp, slipped and ended up freezing to death.

Everyone passing by assumed he was taking a reset, which wasn't uncommon, and was only when the truck was still there the 2nd day that someone drove over there to check.
Thats a sad deal.

I'm not certain but pretty sure the Last hitchhiker I gave a ride to swiped 2 empty glock mags from my passenger door pocket. He was headed to town to get a bottle of vodka.

I hope he gets busted with them being +sized and all.

Thats a sad deal.
Yeah, spooky to think about it. My Dad happened to go by that route and brought it up to the yard manager that the truck hadn't moved.

The drivers were supposed to tarp near the loading area and get a loader to help lift the tarps over the load. No climbing 12ft in the air.
For safety and also to make sure they tarped.
They'd get truckers that would drive off a ways, wait till no one was around and roll out.
Loads had to be tarped to keep the product clean, the loads went all over north east US.

They built a heated tarp shed after that and you have to use a harness and fall protective.

OSHA fined them too, they "allowed" it to happen even though it was against the company rules.

Last edited:
Thats gay.
Tapping in -20* weather sucks, so there's that I guess.
Maine winters are ~4-5 months and average 8ft of snow.

It's a company that pays well so the shitbag truckers that don't want to follow the rules don't last long, and there are plenty wanting the work.

Top Back Refresh