What's new

High Pinion 9" / 10" Manufacturers Thread

I would seriously be looking at something else.
What's wrong with a HP60 in your application ?

Jeep LJ sub 40" tire. I want to wheel it and road it with full confidence in nothing failing.
The HP 60 would work but heavy. I don't trust a HP44. Not interested in any of the JK / JL versions of a D44. They are strong but not a good foundation for growth in my opinion.

Planning a fabricated Ford 9" housing, 05 up outers 1550 shafts.

I think I would be ok at that point without getting too heavy and keeping ground clearance.
If I did want to go with a bigger tire or stickies I could without fear of failures and have a solid foundation for any future upgrades.

I ran flipped low pinion 9"s in my rear engine buggy and was impressed with what they will take being driven on the coast side of the gear. A low pinion front with a load bolt would probably work just fine.

One day I'd really like someone to wiegh a D60 an 9" side by side. I'm talking everything equal besides the center section, tubes, c's, ect. I'm betting it's not near as drastically different as everyone thinks. Basically a little bit of cast iron vs plate steel.

One day I'd really like someone to wiegh a D60 an 9" side by side. I'm talking everything equal besides the center section, tubes, c's, ect. I'm betting it's not near as drastically different as everyone thinks. Basically a little bit of cast iron vs plate steel.

OK, list out what you'd think would be an equal 9 and D60?

It is completely different.
I have both and they're not even close.

Jeep LJ sub 40" tire. I want to wheel it and road it with full confidence in nothing failing.
The HP 60 would work but heavy. I don't trust a HP44. Not interested in any of the JK / JL versions of a D44. They are strong but not a good foundation for growth in my opinion.

Planning a fabricated Ford 9" housing, 05 up outers 1550 shafts.

I think I would be ok at that point without getting too heavy and keeping ground clearance.
If I did want to go with a bigger tire or stickies I could without fear of failures and have a solid foundation for any future upgrades.

I ran flipped low pinion 9"s in my rear engine buggy and was impressed with what they will take being driven on the coast side of the gear. A low pinion front with a load bolt would probably work just fine.
If you're ok with LP, then yeah, do that.
I just thought you wanted HP.

OK, list out what you'd think would be an equal 9 and D60?

I mean everything else but the center section is exactly the same. Tube size and thickness, c's, knuckles, shafts, ect.

It is completely different.
I have both and they're not even close.

What's "not even close"? 20 lbs? 40lbs?

I'm not talking about a worthless stock housing. I'm talking a fab 9 housing with say 3.5x375 tubes vs a D60 with the same size tubes.

From having handled a ton of 70s-00s Ford truck stuff I can tell you that stock vs stock a bare SF D60 housing is substantially heavier than an equal width 9" housing. Like a solid 50lb in just the housing.

I'm sure aftermarket 9" housings bridge some of the gap by being thicker and using more tube and plate but it'll still be a solid 30lb in just the housing.

What's "not even close"? 20 lbs? 40lbs?

I'm not talking about a worthless stock housing. I'm talking a fab 9 housing with say 3.5x375 tubes vs a D60 with the same size tubes.
No even close = I can move a complete spidertrax axle pretty much as easily as an empty dana 60 housing

Am I possibly the only one who has both aftermarket 60’s and 9”s laying around? I have both a RockJock60 front and RuffStuff 9 front stripped down to a bare housings I could weigh. Not gonna be able to do it anytime soon but when weather gets better I could do it.

Not sure that’s a fair comparison, a RuffStuff fabbed 9 is the heaviest 9” I know of. We have it written on the board in the shop what our complete front and rear 9’s weigh.

At dads shop I have a fully tabbbed and trussed RJ60 front bare housing sitting right next to a fully tabbed and trussed RS9” front bare housing. Then I have a just a complete bare RJ60 front housing and a brand new bare 9” housing I could weigh. I think we also still have a fully tabbed trussed spidertrax front bare housing.

I’m a fan of high 9/10 no doubt. I also love a good 60 hp front axle. My crawler has a CRD 60 front axle with truehi9 RuffStuff rear axle. Good strong axle combo for trail abuse.

No even close = I can move a complete spidertrax axle pretty much as easily as an empty dana 60 housing

What D60 housing?

Am I possibly the only one who has both aftermarket 60’s and 9”s laying around? I have both a RockJock60 front and RuffStuff 9 front stripped down to a bare housings I could weigh. Not gonna be able to do it anytime soon but when weather gets better I could do it.

Not sure that’s a fair comparison, a RuffStuff fabbed 9 is the heaviest 9” I know of. We have it written on the board in the shop what our complete front and rear 9’s weigh.

At dads shop I have a fully tabbbed and trussed RJ60 front bare housing sitting right next to a fully tabbed and trussed RS9” front bare housing. Then I have a just a complete bare RJ60 front housing and a brand new bare 9” housing I could weigh. I think we also still have a fully tabbed trussed spidertrax front bare housing.

I’m a fan of high 9/10 no doubt. I also love a good 60 hp front axle. My crawler has a CRD 60 front axle with truehi9 RuffStuff rear axle. Good strong axle combo for trail abuse.

Would be cool if you could get a real wieght. I'd think the most even would be with the carrier and gears in, since the 9" has the edge there.

What D60 housing?

empty 05+ F250 with just Cs and knuckles on, feels about the same as a 63" wide spidertrax axle with 35sp shafts, spidertrax knuckles and C's, unit bearings, GW 10" third member and complete brakes.

I have knuckles and UBs laying around if needed.

Bumping this thread up.

Has anyone heard of progress on gear set availability?

Rolling around ideas in my head to move away from the fabricated 8” front I have now. Typical 4 cylinder, 5 speed Toyota truggy on 37’s. Chipped teeth on a R&P in 2020, chipped another set sometime between now and then, so I’m considering it may be time to start thinking about the next axle build.

At some point I’d like to get away from 8” thirds and mini truck outers like I have had for the last 10 years. Have an FZJ80 9.5” FF rear that’s held up perfectly fine on stock, non e-locker shafts.

I’m strongly considering a high pinion 609 build, but no high pinion availability scares me now and in the future with seemingly only one gear cutter for them.

Other ideas are a 9.5” third to match the rear with 80 outers or D60 outers. Custom axle shafts are sounding easier to procure than high pinion 9” stuff right now.

Not interested in KP60 or SD60 junkyard stuff for the sake of weight and width. Trying to keep this as a nimble truck on 37’s, under 5k lbs ready to wheel with me and my wife in it.

You might check with Gearworks on availability of the ratio you’re interested in. The 5.43’s are supposed to be coming available in a limited quantity but rumor has it Big B Motorsports will buy most of them in one batch to have them for racing. Lots of us have been waiting for over a year for 5.43s so the first new batch will probably be gone as soon as it hits the shelves.

Tubeworks will make you a billet set in whatever ratio you want.
Prepare your asshole.

You might check with Gearworks on availability of the ratio you’re interested in. The 5.43’s are supposed to be coming available in a limited quantity but rumor has it Big B Motorsports will buy most of them in one batch to have them for racing. Lots of us have been waiting for over a year for 5.43s so the first new batch will probably be gone as soon as it hits the shelves.

I just looked and noticed they had some ratios above and below 5.43 in stock but no 5.43’s to be had. I wouldn’t mind 5.13’s to go with the current 5.29 rear? They must be cutting some new stuff at least

I hate that production runs are so small that the market can get cornered like that for over a year.

Tubeworks will make you a billet set in whatever ratio you want.
Prepare your asshole.

There’s not enough lube in the world for me to spend that on a rec wheeler Tacoma

I hate that production runs are so small that the market can get cornered like that for over a year.
The market isn't big enough as you think,
They would be making more if that was the case.

There’s not enough lube in the world for me to spend that on a rec wheeler Tacoma
Don't need 10" on a rec wheeler yota

HI9 or MegaHi9 if you're worried about it.

id be building some 609s. 05+ SD outers with some light brake options and an ECGS competition LP 9 center. You can get these parts all day long and not have to worry about gear availability. Should be a plenty strong setup for a rec wheeler taco. You can then keep an eye out for a HP9/10 and swap them out.

Im running HP10s in my new buggy but it took me a while to find them and even then, i didnt get the ratio i wanted. I got lucky that i found a guy parting out an unfinished project to get his 5.83 geared thirds. I wanted 5.43s but as you know by now, they are non-existent.

I’d like to get away from 8” thirds and mini truck outers like I have had for the last 10 years. Have an FZJ80 9.5” FF rear that’s held up perfectly fine on stock, non e-locker shafts.
What outers are you planning 6-5.5 pattern correct? Spidertrax, TG, KP or 04 down Superduty?

What outers are you planning 6-5.5 pattern correct? Spidertrax, TG, KP or 04 down Superduty?

The world is my oyster. I'd prefer to stay on 6-5.5 and have a slight preference to not be KP.

I'm also trying to stay cognizant of the fact that I'm 3RZ now but wouldn't rule out basic bitch LS power down the road.

Per my phone call with Tru Hi9. They ordered gear-sets in 2020 and delivery is still a year out. NONE in stock.
Confirms the JR4X statement of nothing available.
I don't HAVE to have a high pinion front but once I set the castor and weld the inner c's I'm committed to one or the other at that point.
May have to sell some plasma for a GW's ring and pinion as the are in stock. I might even consider a used set depending on $

HI9 or MegaHi9 if you're worried about it.

Is HI9 stuff back in stock?

The world is my oyster. I'd prefer to stay on 6-5.5 and have a slight preference to not be KP.
That limits you to 9? to 04 Superduty outers.
I would look very closely at a 9? to 97 Superduty D60. You can convert to a 6-6.5 pattern AND 35 spline stubs without machine work.
Then retube for passenger drop or fab 9 center.

Rolling around ideas in my head to move away from the fabricated 8” front I have now. Typical 4 cylinder, 5 speed Toyota truggy on 37’s. Chipped teeth on a R&P in 2020, chipped another set sometime between now and then, so I’m considering it may be time to start thinking about the next axle build.

are you running a fabricated housing?

That limits you to 9? to 04 Superduty outers.
I would look very closely at a 9? to 97 Superduty D60. You can convert to a 6-6.5 pattern AND 35 spline stubs without machine work.
Then retube for passenger drop or fab 9 center.
But then you pay D60 prices like all the other dickbags.

If you do 99-04 you can buy a D50 for much less because you're not competing with all the people who want a bolt in swap because they can't fab.

No point in paying for a complete D60 if 9" center is the plan.

Top Back Refresh