What's new

Helping Neighbor, tire size WWID?

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
So neighbor's kid got a blow out on a newer VW.

Tread came off and smacked the shit out of the side of the car, tore bumper lose, ect...

They have no tools, no jack or spare in the car.

I get it off for her, send her to the tire store to get a replacement.

She comes back with a pretty decent used tire mounted up.

I check to make sure it is the same size and nope, this tire is a 225/45-17 and the other 3 are 235/45-17

She shows me the picture she took of the bad tire and it was in fact a 225/45

I looked up the size difference and it is .3" smaller in diameter.

8 revolutions difference per mile.

Would you run it?

tire is in the rear btw on a FWD car

on the rear, yes for sure, run it. on the front, depending on how worn the other tire is and how new this replacement is, could be close enough.

For comparison, I ran three different size tires on the Samurai when it was "stock".

No, I would not run a newer VW.

Concerning the tire, they sound like dumbasses so it doesnt matter.

ya i'd run it on a non drive axle and plan on replacing it in less than 500 miles

but then forget and neglect until next year :laughing:

Yeah run it on the back.

having 2 daughters I know that no tire on the car will ever see bald, it will always be ruined by run flat. apparently a yellow light is not enough to mention. They need to make it shut the car off.

And yeah the germans make a great car but dang the wind blows and the front bumper is falling off.

on the rear, yes for sure, run it. on the front, depending on how worn the other tire is and how new this replacement is, could be close enough.

That was my thoughts as well but when it is someone else and I wouldn't want a bus load of Nuns to be wiped out, i thought i would seek a second opinion.

I just mounted it to the car and wiped down the car from the tire tread slapping it everywhere.

I put the bumper back into as many clips as I could get and I am going to call it a done job.

Funny enough side story, just this morning I lent out to a friend my 1/2" socket wrench so I got to buy another one of those at the Auto Parts store, and I shit you not, as soon as I got the last wheel stud lose my buddy pulled in to bring me my wrench back.

Funny enough side story, just this morning I lent out to a friend my 1/2" socket wrench so I got to buy another one of those at the Auto Parts store, and I shit you not, as soon as I got the last wheel stud lose my buddy pulled in to bring me my wrench back.

wait... am i weird for having like three 1/2" rachets, six 3/8" rachets, four 1/4" rachets and two 1/2" breaker bars? :confused:

wait... am i weird for having like three 1/2" rachets, six 3/8" rachets, four 1/4" rachets and two 1/2" breaker bars? :confused:

I run a bare minimum set at my office, at my home shop I have many of each thing.

Plus at home I use my 1/2" impact to remove wheels.

You needed a 1/2" set for 17mm bolts? IIRC torque is 80 ft lbs unless VW has drastically changed in the past decade. You couldve used a 1/4" set with success.

You needed a 1/2" set for 17mm bolts? IIRC torque is 80 ft lbs unless VW has drastically changed in the past decade. You couldve used a 1/4" set with success.

I tried my 3/8" drive and it was not going to do it.

Some tire store monkeys had def worked on this car.

It took a 1/2 with a 24" pipe over the handle to break them loose.

I see two issues here.

1. If she paid them actual money, then hell yes they should do the job correctly (unless she approved a cheap used tire in another size, in which case you get what you pay for).

2. Many newer VWs use a wheel speed based TPMS system, so there's prolly gonna be a light. But, since the kid had a blow out already I'm guessing he ignored the light before, or it's always on because they are the type of people to buy used tires in the wrong size. Which is the type of people who even get blowouts anymore. :homer:

Is it going to fuck up the car? Not really.

Stick it on the rear and run it 10 psi higher than the other 3.

I get happy then depressed when I think of how many of basically the same tool I have.

When we downsized I traded my 21 year old Son all of my rolling boxes and tools, including all my Milwaukee M18 tools and compressor for his little plastic molded Craftsman set and Milwaukee M12 tools (that I bought him over the years). He has tools he doesn't even know about but I refused to take loss selling them. He'll grow into them. You can never have too many tools or too many duplicates. I didn't show him the emergency 10mm sockets that are taped inside one of the boxes.

it'll be fine
their awd ones are generally unhappy as they're clutch based now that they're all transverse

the old longitudinal passats were fine with different size tires despite being AWD, just a torsen center diff on them

I went over to the tire store and asked them to swap it out and they did.

So now the car has the same tires all the way around.

The mom brought the 17 year old over to say thank you, which I thought was good mothering of her.

Weird? No. But you sound like someone who is just beginning their tool collection.

Top Back Refresh