What's new

Help me decide what route to take with my k30

vrtillman

Member Number
Loc
Denver, Co
So I'm in the process of moving into a new house and have a ton of time and not a ton of money to sit and brainstorm what to do with my 85 k30 3+3. In it's current state it has a 454/400/205 and other than burning a quart of oil every 100 miles, it runs great, starts every time, gets a solid 10mpg on the highway (unloaded), and is mostly rust free. This truck will be mostly a tow rig as my suburban will be the dedicated off roader once I can source a d60/14b combo to replace the 10 bolts. I originally sourced an LQ4/4l80e for the truck and the engine at least needs some valve work (leaking by bad on cyl 4 & 5 exhaust valves) but now I'm thinking I might want that for the suburban eventually or possibly sell it to fund this swap as I've seen those combos sell on marketplace for like $2500. My for sure plans for the k30 are nv4500 swap as I can usually find one at the local pyp from a gmt400 truck and I'd like a manual again plus overdrive would be nice. I also live in an area where we get emissions tests and from what I've read, swaps are a pain in the a$$ to get certified. I'm still up in the air on drivetrain though. I'm trying to decide between two options:

Option 1: "covert" gen VI 454. Keep the carb intake to look like the original big block but with the benefit of vortec heads and roller cam. This swap would be relatively straightforward and simple and while I'm not expecting any better fuel economy from another big block (maybe a little from adding OD), I would have some added power and more reliable options for swapping cams eventually. I've gotten pretty good at tuning a carb and have a couple HEI's I can rebuild to fit the roller cam. There's also a possibility that I'll find a 454/nv4500 combo already bolted together for this too which would save time sourcing parts.

Option 2: source a 6.2/6.5 diesel and run a mechanical fuel pump, possibly a turbo if I can figure out how to make it fit while keeping ac in the square body cab. This one is a little more difficult as I'll have to actually source an engine (only seen one at the 4-5 junkyards I usually frequent in the last 6 months) plus I'll have to get "creative" with registration. I won't have the power of a gasser big block, but will have better fuel economy, plus diesels are fun. I'm also fully aware of the gm diesel shortcomings and will probably look into a forged crank and maybe some better heads eventually.

Pic of the K30 for anyone curious

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
If those were the two options I say number 1. I can't imagine going through the effort of swapping in a 6.5 diesel. I just don't think it would be worthwhile for the power you will end up with. Now a Duramax would be cool!

A 6.6 LBZ duramax would be awesome from my POV, Had I the coin that is what I would do with my 83/86 M1031 CUCV.

Yes im biased also as I have a 07 lbz.

You would need more than a Turbo 400 fmpov, an allison if you want an auto transmission or a 1995 nv4500 to row your own.

Duramax that unit.

I'm bias and have a Duramax truck currently and Even if it blows up tomorrow I would replace it with another Duramax. Their that good

Reactions: PAE
1, but I have no experience with diesels so take it or leave it. And I'm biased because I have a 454/nv4500/241 combo I got for my burb so I'm a fan.

I have a mechanical 6.5 with the stock turbo, and an nv4500, in my K5, its got the pump turned up a little bit, not much. It'll get you anywhere you need, but hopefully you're not in a hurry. It's slow with just the blazer, but put a trailer behind it and there better not be anybody coming when you pull out onto the highway. Put a vehicle on the trailer and its even worse. Get on the interstate and I'm not passing any of the big rigs going up the hills. I have a set of 35s i put on it when i tow with it, even with 4.88s its gutless. But it's getting 18-19mpg when it's not towing, so there's that.

Ls anything and a nv4500is literaly a bolt in afair. Harnesses and pretuned ecm are mail order. Gm nv4500 is 1 adapter away from fitting the 205.

The only thing youll have to actualy work on is the exhaust and driveline.

Youll get good milage, power, and easy parts.

Duramax will be cool but x3 cost.
Pae is a liar if he says dmax, theres wiring and computers.

Dont bother with a 6.2 or 6.5. It's not worth the swap. If you want a diesel, run a 12v cummins or find a wrecked first gen duramax truck and swap the drivetrain. 12v is a better choice, mechanical everything.

I have an Lq4/4l80 truck. It tows fine but, you have to wind them out at every hill. I'd rather have an 8.1 if I was towing a lot.

Our old shop truck had a tbi 454/nv4500 and it was a slug. Didnt mind the weight but it was never going anywhere fast. It'll beat a 6.2/6.5 anyday. For a budget build, I'd swap the trans and be done.

Im pretty sure everyone that would consider swapping a 6.6l into a square body would know the wiring and ecm is needed.

Ls anything and a nv4500is literaly a bolt in afair. Harnesses and pretuned ecm are mail order. Gm nv4500 is 1 adapter away from fitting the 205.

The only thing youll have to actualy work on is the exhaust and driveline.

Youll get good milage, power, and easy parts.

Duramax will be cool but x3 cost.
Pae is a liar if he says dmax, theres wiring and computers.

Cool, looks like I’ll be going the 454 route. I guess I should explain my reasoning too. Both options keep me out of the computer controlled realm (leaving that to my burb), so no duramax and no ls. Cummins would be cool, but I can source both engine options for less than a grand and with the cost of the nv4500 swap, I’m trying to keep engine swap costs down. I haven’t come across a 12v for less than 3k and those are usually in need of a rebuild (or I’m usually assuming they are) which I’m not above, but again, budget. I can also sell the 454/400 and cover most of the cost of the nv4500/gen VI swap

Unless you dont mind the internal slave on the nv4500 pick a 92-95 year.

94 is the last year for 6.34 ratio, 95 is the last year for the 5.125 transmission pilot and the first year for the 5.61 first gear ratio.

Last edited:
I have an 84 3x3 with the 6.2 465/205 combo. It's a dog. Fuel is turned up a touch. Empty isn't bad but 60mph is about all you want to run. Faster then that and it's loud and eats the fuel. I am running 33.5" tires and 4.10s. We put the cabover camper in and it's a slow go in the mtns. I live on the western slope of CO. Point me to where you are finding these 4500's. I've been looking.

Found a busted up one in a local transmission shop that does some work on my trucks that I dont want to do or cant do.

Another place Ive bought them from is a shop in Minnesota.

Bought a new 97+ from them some years ago but that was long before the insane inflation / Corp greed bit so about 1600, but that was before when I didnt know the right year to buy

Want that info ill pm it to you.

I would be looking at repowering. 6.0L and a manual. The 6.2 is never going be able to operate at modern speeds/expectations.

6.0 LS and keep the rest of the drivetrain.

There will be enough improvement from that alone to keep you very happy for a very long time.

Top Back Refresh