What's new

Helicoil for knuckle studs

00nissanguy

Member Number
Spent some time on Google and the old site with mixed reviews. I have a pile of old knuckles and some have bad stud holes. I don't see why using a helicoil is a bad idea but what's say ibb?

Spent some time on Google and the old site with mixed reviews. I have a pile of old knuckles and some have bad stud holes. I don't see why using a helicoil is a bad idea but what's say ibb?
Never done a knuckle stud, do one and give it a test. I think a repaired hole done right would be strong.

I've used Helicoils on a lot of Toyota stuff without fail, mainly on aluminum trans, for the shifters. Also on VW cases seems like one of the tricks was to go through the whole case and do case savers, ( basically Helicoils) but that's not a into steel

May be better to redrill for larger studs?
Thought of that but then that highsteer arm is also only good on that knuckle. I have 2 rigs with toyota based axle so keeping it stock style let's me keep spares on my trailer to share between them

Would a Timesert hold the torque?

Or Keensert anything thats solid from my perspective is a better grip than a coil of square wire.

Timeserts or keenserts take up too much real-estate. I would worry about the thin spots causing cracks.

A properly done helicoil brand insert is plenty strong. Most of the time stronger than the parent material.

Now, using knock off chicom shit by somebody that doesn't know what they are doing will lead to a bad time.

Top Back Refresh