What's new

Heavy equipment mechanics

Mvanhelden

26 Wheeler
Member Number
Loc
Humboldt County
Found this broken nut in our pit at work, has a faded CAT label on the locking clip. We have a 325 excavator, d8 dozer, and 980 loader. We can’t find anywhere on the machines with something this size, nor anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas? It’s a pretty substantial part looks like.

11BC250D-7852-47E7-AD2E-71C5BA0DC7A2.jpeg

205FDB92-EBA3-47FB-BB2E-5322ED2F2011.jpeg

FD83DF49-A162-46DA-BD3F-A7AB25F41A9B.jpeg

I’m guessing something off the dozer as that does not look familiar for the excavator or loader. Only thing I could think of on the excavator that could be is a bolt for the motor mounts.

with the big gash it looks to be from the bottom of the machine. Just a wild guess it’s off the blade or ripper on dozer.

Last edited:
I'd definitely be trying to find where it came from as it looks important. Clean the label off carefully and see if you can get any numbers off it and then call a good CAT parts guy to see if he can look it up.

Something off the track rollers or idler on the dozer or excavator? Judging by that mash mark a rock or something got into it and broke it off. End of a threaded pin or hydraulic cylinder? Judging by that keeper they didn't want it to come off. :laughing:

If he has a part number and the first 3 of the vin for the three machine he can search for it on cats online sis system.

Anything broken down yet? No? YER GOOD!

Don't rule out the possibility it was from an older break and the head got lost in the machine somewhere and only fell out in the pit because you were working on something else.

But the break face on the bolt looks pretty fresh, so I say you are screwed. :flipoff2:

Where was it found in pit or near crusher? Do you be chance have a Allis, savedala or sandvik cone crusher? Bolt looks exactly like the top shell bolts minus the hold down. Mine break just like that lol.

Lol I found one of my broken bolts. Might not be from a cat. I repurpose tons of cat stuff on my other machines as it’s easy to get and available at worst case the next day.

3E2F0393-8C1E-4D30-8468-1AFE504ED4BB.jpeg
908E83A2-1B25-414B-A53A-ABC1C0D11F57.jpeg

Ended up being the track tension nut for the 325, one text pic to the cat dealer and tu eh nailed it, I’m not sure how it all goes together, but you can see the right side track is tighter than hell. Cat said it’s quite the job.

5108B300-BC01-4A0F-A83C-7DEE753CAF2B.jpeg

062D98AF-67B6-429D-B18E-11735FC6DF21.jpeg

Good deal you found it. That is prolly the nut that compresses the idler spring. Fuck that pull idler off and let cat retention the spring. Just be like everyone else. Drop the grease in the tensioner track it a around for a bit till the track comes off. And idler should come right out. :flipoff2:

Good deal you found it. That is prolly the nut that compresses the idler spring. Fuck that pull idler off and let cat retention the spring. Just be like everyone else. Drop the grease in the tensioner track it a around for a bit till the track comes off. And idler should come right out. :flipoff2:

That’s exactly what we did, we’re not doing much paddling with it the rest of the season just around the plant, we added it to the list of stuff to do this winter....

Top Back Refresh