What's new

Headgasket 22RE

MurderYota

Throbbing member
Member Number
Loc
The forgotten part of California
So I lost a HG on my crawler. Had the motor rebuilt by Davez offroad. Not many miles on it, mostly trail miles. Anyway some people are saying its a pain in the ass to do the repair with the motor in the truck vs puling the motor. Anybody got any advice?

In truck

Use a factory or printoseal gasket and ask dave why it failed...
Yea lets stir that pot:flipoff2:

Worst part is the wiring through the manifold. Should be 4-8 hours to do with engine in truck.

Its not bad to do in the truck, if you have to split the intake manifold make sure you have a long metric allen to get the one odd bolt out.

FWIW, I had a HG issue with a DAVEZ 22RE about 12 years ago during the first year of ownership. They had me send pics of the overheating 'tattle-tail" heat sensor deals on the block that were still intact. Then agreed to pay for the repair, but were unhappy with the local garage's estimate (I had to have somebody else do it because of work travel). so I got ~ 70% of the bill taken care of by Davez and the rest was out of pocket.

Once the local garage had it apart they found one of the head bolts was loose near where the HG popped. Cant be sure it was 100% the cause, but it damn sure didnt do the engine any favors being loose.

my 2 pennies.

i did mine in the truck, it was much less complicated because it was 22r on propane, but its not a bad job. the intake bolts can be a bitch because its hard to see them with the inner fender in the way, but they are there. again its not a hard job. piece of plywood for a lay down bench for all the parts and get after it. :beer:

Just don't forget the hidden bolt into the timing cover :homer:

Cometic gasket and good bolts. The factory bolts are single use and junk to start with.
This, I’d say half the people here have ended up replacing a timing cover because that fucker is under an oil pool 😂 and the one Allen in the intake mentioned before. Set it a TDC, put a wood wedge in the front cover to hold the chain when you pull it. Whoever suggested pulling the engine to do a head gasket is a fucking idiot, or genius because they don’t like you and want to cause you to do extra work 😂😂

Just did one yesterday, I just put a zip tie on the cam gear to hold the chain in correct time.

Splitting the upper is definitely the easy route, every re I get a hold of ends up with an 8mm nut welded to the head of the Allen bolt because someone before me has fucked it up.

Top Back Refresh