What's new

Header gaskets

I used copper rtv
Me too. Headers flex more than cast iron manifolds and my rig flexes adding more strain to the exhaust.

I have also learned to use the longest header bolts that fit. Gives them more grip and endures heat cycles better.

Good exhaust bolts go a long way to preventing leaks. Studs are better. Retorque while hot after a couple of heat cycles.

No experience with remflex, but I prefer MLS on exhaust parts. That soft layered foil shit doesn’t last.

After replacing a cummins manifold.

Does anyone think using spacers between the flange and nut would help

Used solid copper gaskets on the BBC engine in my flatbottom boat.

Already studded. Many miles on this set of gaskets. Truck sat for 6mo while I was working out of town and the rear end was apart. Now, it's back on the road and has developed a small leak. Just need gaskets. Wanted to know what folks are using.

Thick gaskets are a dumbass bandaid for flatness problems.

Flatten whatever is bent and RTV that shit.

It it won't stay then it's probably because your exhaust is poorly built garbage that's putting a ton of force on the joint. Flex pipes are cheap enough there's no excuse.

Copper RTV, I use to work at Roush, you see those cars going around the track, they had copper RTV on the headers. That was a few years ago but it worked no problem.

Top Back Refresh