What's new

Hauling trailer skin?

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
So we started with pulling off the roof off my 22" fifth wheel cargo trailer, and then moved on to passenger side, and will need to change it completely due to water damage

I see it is thin plywood and aluminum, is this correct? What are thebspexs - what thickness or type of plywood and skin? Do I stand boards up vertically, or horizontally?

We are at step 1 with zero experience, so any help helps

Pic to come later

So the roof is aluminum? Curved or flat?

When we do big dry van trailers we buy a roll of roofing at someplace like Jim hawk.

I have done enclosed car trailers with it. Usually cheaper than a cargo trailer place.

That is a lot of work. Don't envy you.

Attachments

• PXL_20240131_160608542.jpg
    PXL_20240131_160608542.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 45
What in the short bus heck is going on there. LOL

is weight a concern or insulation?

You could get a roll of roof skin, trim, seal and rivet without any other support, Or you can lay plywood down first for insulation from noise and weather.

Same on the sides. You can just screw some aluminum panels on, or use 1/4 plywood first.

Either way, looks like the structure is good and strong. So you can do it a few different ways.

I reskinned my gooseneck. Very similar project to what you are doing, except I didn't do my roof.

Lots and lots of posts on the process I used in that thread. I bought my skins on amazon believe it or not. It came drop-shipped on a lift gate truck. It was $1600 shipped when I bought it three years ago (can't believe it's been that long).

Top Back Refresh