What's new

Has anyone used Tuff Stuff brand power steering pumps?

12bravo

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
arm pit of kansas
Trying this over here instead of the general newb section. :homer:
They are half the price of replacing with trail gear,(speedway price is $160-ish) and specs are 3.0 gpm and 1200psi. They have a tapped suction port with AN fittings so they should be a direct bolt in replacement for the ten+ year old trail gear that is whining when hot and has to be above idle to get easy turning. The old fluid is looking like a glitter milk shake so I am assuming the pump is on its death path.
:usa:

Looks promising.
I have no experience with their pumps, but I've used quite a few of their alternators on muscle cars with good results.

I might try one of them, I could by two of these ones for the price of one failgear. Although, the wore out trail gear one I have in there now took ten years of abuse.

These are $156.99, the PSC TC pump is $200. Why not spend an extra $55 and get the PSC? I tried to save some money one time by using a stock p/s pump off a Wrangler that i modded. It was a TC style pump as well. Worked okay for 5 years until it started making a ton of noise. Replaced it with a PSC and haven't had a problem since.

These are $156.99, the PSC TC pump is $200. Why not spend an extra $55 and get the PSC? I tried to save some money one time by using a stock p/s pump off a Wrangler that i modded. It was a TC style pump as well. Worked okay for 5 years until it started making a ton of noise. Replaced it with a PSC and haven't had a problem since.
good idea

to be somewhat cliche every time I try to save money on parts I end up paying more in time/energy/money than if I had bought the "good" part to begin with :homer:

I will say, when I smoked my tg powerflow super duper pump, I replaced it with the $200 psc pump and haven't noticed a drop in performance.

Yeah I get into penny pincher mind set and have regerts later, then realize my mistake. I did not even look at psc because they are usually out of my budgets.

Yeah I get into penny pincher mind set and have regerts later, then realize my mistake. I did not even look at psc because they are usually out of my budgets.
We all will do it eventually 🤣

At KOH this year my friend and I talked to the guy at the Howe Power Steering, I can't remember his name. He pretty much took us to school on steering systems lol. My friend had a KRC steering pump and reservoir that ended ripping the bottom fitting out. The Howe guy told him to get a Howe pump or PSC pump. He said "That's a circle track steering pump. Those pumps aren't built to do what we're doing out here." As soon as i saw the link to the Tuff Stuff Pump, it immediately reminded me what he said.

I am easily persuaded:homer: I will save a little more and go with the PSC pump, and look at filter options. Until then, I am going to flush the fluid again.

I am easily persuaded:homer: I will save a little more and go with the PSC pump, and look at filter options. Until then, I am going to flush the fluid again.
What do you use for fluid?

Tractor hydro fluid. Can not remember the numbers of it. I have used it for the last six years. This last summer is the first trouble I have had with the hydro assist. Well not really trouble, just annoyance with the noise and keeping it revved a little to turn easy.

Top Back Refresh