What's new

Harley Help

that's all I'm really seeing too. The FP1, pipes, and air is just the standard Stage 1 they were selling in 2010 I'd imagine.

Major help. I should have listened from the start, but I learned quite a bit. :beer:
But definitely throw the FuelPak away. You don't need it and its garbage. If at some point you do need an actual tuner get a Dynojet or a Thundermax.

But definitely throw the FuelPak away. You don't need it and its garbage. If at some point you do need an actual tuner get a Dynojet or a Thundermax.
yea, its unplugged on the shop floor.

Dynojet isn't cheap. I'm thinking that if I have no plans on any motor stuff, can't I have just the dealer put something on the ECM?

If I can manage to get in line, they do dyno tunes for $50 a whack at Laconia bike week.

yea. $700. For an air cleaner and slip ons, I'll pass.

yea, its unplugged on the shop floor.

Dynojet isn't cheap. I'm thinking that if I have no plans on any motor stuff, can't I have just the dealer put something on the ECM?

If I can manage to get in line, they do dyno tunes for $50 a whack at Laconia bike week.
They're not cheap, but they work. The dealer here has a separate "Speed Shop" on site because Harley voids warranties on new bikes with a tuner. He still chargers about $500 for dyno pulls and a tune. If you have a friend with a Dynojet you can buy a license and use his to tune your bike. I don't know a lot about those Rally tuners, seems sus that they do it for that cheap, but maybe its a volume deal and a lot of canned tunes at the ready.

I don't know a lot about those Rally tuners, seems sus that they do it for that cheap, but maybe its a volume deal and a lot of canned tunes at the ready.
yea, that's how I understand they work. I've been once and the wait was hours. Few guys I know had it done and they couldn't be happier.

$700 could be spent on a few other places first.

yea, that's how I understand they work. I've been once and the wait was hours. Few guys I know had it done and they couldn't be happier.

$700 could be spent on a few other places first.
Definitely spend it elsewhere. If you're not jugging it or adding cams you really don't need a tuner.
I ride a 92,000 mile Road Glide with pipes and an air cleaner, no tuner.

Definitely spend it elsewhere. If you're not jugging it or adding cams you really don't need a tuner.
I ride a 92,000 mile Road Glide with pipes and an air cleaner, no tuner.
Ohlins is on the list.

thinking going straight to a dealer to have them tune it will be the way I go.
Don't do this. Most dealers and those guys at bike week just make one or two Dyno pulls, flash it and call it done,and you don't get a proper tune or your money's worth. Take it to someone who will spend all day with it on the Dyno getting it perfect.

Or better yet, do it your self with
TTS Mastertune.
It's a little spendy, but it gives you 100% control of your bike.

Don't do this. Most dealers and those guys at bike week just make one or two Dyno pulls, flash it and call it done,and you don't get a proper tune or your money's worth. Take it to someone who will spend all day with it on the Dyno getting it perfect.

Or better yet, do it your self with
TTS Mastertune.
It's a little spendy, but it gives you 100% control of your bike.
yea, I may go that route. who knows. I'm not there yet. only reason I was going to do the tune was for the air and exhaust work. but if I can get way without it, I'll just run it. I don't want to screw anything up is the thing though.

Harley tonight to get a rebuild for the starter clutch. They have the o-ring too.

However, battery. The OEM one is 315CCA. The one that came out of it was 310CCA. I was hoping for a 500 or something. There's Lithium ones, but they're almost $300 and need a special charger?

All in all, is the 315CCA OEM battery that far ahead of the 310CCA Napa one? I guess so?

I’d steer clear of lithium. I’ve seen them do weird things. Old lead acid is the way to go.

Put a stock air cleaner on it if you're worried, your butt dyno wont know the difference. Over thinking the battery.

You replace the pegs yet from diving into the corners?

I’d steer clear of lithium. I’ve seen them do weird things. Old lead acid is the way to go.
guy tried selling me one. It was like $280 then I needed a special charger? Went with the standard OEM.
Put a stock air cleaner on it if you're worried, your butt dyno wont know the difference. Over thinking the battery.

You replace the pegs yet from diving into the corners?
Yea, I over think everything. Its a habit of mine.

Pegs are the same ones that were on it when I bought it. I'm still in the learning process with this thing. My first legit cruiser. I've dabbled a little in street bikes, but I'm fully into the adventure bikes.

Ohlins are nice, but I can't feel the difference between them and Fox. My wallet can though.
I've got Ohlins on the GSXF. That thing floats. Smoothest bike I've owned. I don't feel a thing cruising over frost heaves at 70. So I'm sort of bias with it.

Pukemaggots your red skull is on me. I appreciate man. :beer:
Thanks brother, I'm just glad you have the bike up and running. I've seen people waste so much time and money chasing starting issues like that because they refuse to believe that their newly purchased battery is the rot cause. A little tip for anybody with a efi Harley especially with ride by wire, unless it is absolutely necessary try to avoid giving the bike a boost because you have a very good chance of damaging the ecm/throttle actuator.

However, battery. The OEM one is 315CCA. The one that came out of it was 310CCA. I was hoping for a 500 or something. There's Lithium ones, but they're almost $300 and need a special charger?

Special charger?

I'm no harley fag, but I get a couple stored in my warehouse each year. This spring a guy picked his up, we installed the lead acid battery fresh off the maintainer it had been on all winter. Bike wouldn't start. Boosted it and it went. He said even middle of summer, when the bike has just been shut off the battery would barely start it. He asked if he could get one with mo powa.

I ordered this NOCO lithium battery for him:

Don't see anything about any modifications to the bike, or special charger. NOCO makes it sound like it's easy peasy drop in.

Elaborate? Are these first hand experiences?

Thanks brother, I'm just glad you have the bike up and running. I've seen people waste so much time and money chasing starting issues like that because they refuse to believe that their newly purchased battery is the rot cause. A little tip for anybody with a efi Harley especially with ride by wire, unless it is absolutely necessary try to avoid giving the bike a boost because you have a very good chance of damaging the ecm/throttle actuator.
yea, the battery barely has 1000 miles on it. maybe two months old. then again, I bought my truck battery from them, and once it got to single digits it would barely start. that's my last battery from them.
Special charger?

I'm no harley fag, but I get a couple stored in my warehouse each year. This spring a guy picked his up, we installed the lead acid battery fresh off the maintainer it had been on all winter. Bike wouldn't start. Boosted it and it went. He said even middle of summer, when the bike has just been shut off the battery would barely start it. He asked if he could get one with mo powa.

Don't see anything about any modifications to the bike, or special charger. NOCO makes it sound like it's easy peasy drop in.
The dealer had the Li batteries but that came uncharged. They sold "a certain charger for Lithium batteries" for $60. I thought maybe it was like the LiPo batteries for my r/c stuff. They do require a different charging system I think. I passed though. I was looking at almost $400 for the battery and charger, then the starter clutch on top of that, and I had just gassed my truck up on my way over for $120. :laughing:

He almost had me sold, but I just went lead acid.

The NOCO deal looks neat. Maybe something I'd drop into the DR since that thing goes in places where I need the bike to start. I'm talking three hours hikes out to just to get cell phone service.

Special charger?

Elaborate? Are these first hand experiences?
A few italian bikes over the years have exhibited strange behavior when put on lithium. Immobilizer issues etc. Back to lead acid and they behave. YMMV...

The dealer had the Li batteries but that came uncharged.
The batteries come charged, but the lithium batteries go into hibernation mode when not used for a certain periods of time, and yes lithium batteries require a special charger to wake them up or charge them when discharged.

This is my charger for the lithiums

Attachments

• TdqA9mc.jpg
    TdqA9mc.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 5
Well, did a quick ~50 mile jaunt after mowing the field. Bike runs the tits. Slight backfire if I rev match at higher rpms, but rarely happens. Runs great as far as I can tell. I'm not touching a damned thing motor or exhaust wise. It crazy loud, but has a decent grunt to it. That's all staying.

Nice.

Top Back Refresh