What's new

Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

PAToyota

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
South Central Pennsylvania, USA
Everyone has heard about the Harbor Freight Jack Stand recall by now - unless they've been living under a rock.

But it recently came to my attention that they'll replace pretty much any of their old jack stands:
Recall.png

From here: js-details

Mine were the 6-ton 38847 versions (Pittsburgh), so some of the oldest ones on the list. I'm not sure what versions there were before that or if those are the "original" ones?

Currently, their Inside Track Club also has the 3-ton and 6-ton jack stands on sale in all colors:
ITC Sale.png

So, if you take store credit on them and turn around and use the ITC discount, you can get a brand new pair of 3-ton or 6-ton jackstands for $10 and change (the recall refunds sales tax as well).

I took two pair of my HF jack stands I've had for ages in last night. The paint was faded; there was rust on the teeth, cradle, and bases; and two of them were missing their labels. No problem. Put them in a shopping cart, push them over there, processed the refund onto a gift card, grabbed another shopping cart, picked out two boxes of new ones, got a couple other things while I was there, and checked out using the gift card and paying the additional balance.

I've never had any issues with them, but I have to say that the new design is nicer and the locking pin and braces and feet at the bases give you some more peace of mind over the old ones. For $10 and change a pair, it seems like a no-brainer.

Now I have to swap the news ones for the ones that are currently under my project so that I can take those in and get them replaced as well.

Last edited:
I swapped out a set of 12 tons last year. Make sure to print the list out and bring it with you or save the link on your phone. No one at the store was very knowledgeable on the recall and they were unaware of the store credit portion. They tried to give me just the 119.99 initially. Which is where the website or list comes in.

I had heard that they were taking back any of the old style, but this is the first time I've actually seen it in writing. I have a set of beat to shit 12 tons, a set of 6 tons and probably 3 or 4 3 tons. And I really only need maybe the 6 and 12s. Sweet.

I have a few beat to shit 12 ton models that I got at an auction for like $15. Now you have me thinking about swapping them out for some new ones! Ah who the hell am I kidding, they'll keep working fine as they are.

How are you guys fucking up the 12t?
Ive had mine for 15ish years and theyre in the same shape as when i got them with some paint fade but otherwise titty.

*they have spent 99 percent of their lives on solid concrete pad though.

I have a pair of the old gray cheap ones, i think 3 ton? Used one as a wheel chock and forgot about it, bent it a little when I drove the Cherokee over it :homer: Should see if I can swap those out when I'm home

The Daytona 6 ton jack stands are currently part of their liquidation event. I don’t know why they’d liquidate the jack stands so quickly especially when they were just on sale 2 weeks ago. My guess is a new vendor making them. I’m thinking about taking one pair of my 6 tons in just to get them in a different color. I haven’t measured to see if there is a difference in maximum height.

The Daytona 6 ton jack stands are currently part of their liquidation event. I don’t know why they’d liquidate the jack stands so quickly especially when they were just on sale 2 weeks ago.
Yeah, I was confused by that as well. Particularly since they just brought out the yellow, orange, and green ones - they're still listed on their "new tools" page.

They're $75 for the liquidation sale. The black and blue ones are $70 for ITC members through February 2nd. Also, all colors of the 3-ton ones are $40 for ITC members through February 2nd. That makes it only $10 a pair to upgrade to the new 6-ton or 3-ton models. Mine were the 38846 and 38847 models. I never had an issue, but I like the addition of the "feet," locking pins, and bar across the bottom of the welded sides. If they're willing to replace them for $10, I'll update them. I had taken two pair of my 6-tons in last weekend and two pair of my 3-tons in yesterday. Have to swap out my remaining pair of 6-tons from under my project vehicle to take them in before the ITC price expires.

Thanks for posting this. I printed out the part number list and took 3 sets of 6tons back to HF saturday. Zero hassle. Paid $45 for three new sets.

Printed and took set of 3 ton and set of 6 ton back. this store just opened three years ago. Lady said she never saw jack stands that looked like those. I told her they might be older than she is. Both sets where the oldest listed. $59 later two sets of 6T.

In total, I had two pairs of 3-ton and four pairs of 6-ton - all were the oldest numbers on the list for each category. With the store credit and the ITC discount on the new ones, I ended up spending $10 (plus tax) per pair to "upgrade" them - so just under $65 for six pairs.

Now I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Have a few of 3/6 ton HF jack stands I bought back in 2005 or so. To be seen if these match those numbers.

My go to stands are Esco 3 ton stands I picked up for a ridiculous deal a few years back.

Do they need to have the original stickers with the number on them? I have an old pair of 12 tons that have been beat and left outside for years at a time. They're 100% HF and the classic orange color, but I don't know if I can prove it.

I already returned my 6 tons under the original recall. Pretty sure I have 2 or 3 pair of 3 tons laying around though.

I took mine in two pair at a time. Went into the store, grabbed a shopping cart, took it back out to load the jack stands up, went back in to the cashier, pointed at the jack stands, pointed at the paper and the bottom number on the list, said I wanted to replace them, they told me to get the new ones, and they processed the refund/sale. Mine were faded, surface rust in places, greasy, and dirty.

I guess it depends on the store.

Do they need to have the original stickers with the number on them? I have an old pair of 12 tons that have been beat and left outside for years at a time. They're 100% HF and the classic orange color, but I don't know if I can prove it.

I already returned my 6 tons under the original recall. Pretty sure I have 2 or 3 pair of 3 tons laying around though.
Does anyone have pictures of the older stands? I have a couple older 6 ton ones (from 1999), but I am not sure if they came from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.
No labels with part numbers left on them:
IMG_20230212_183011942.jpg

Aaron Z

Does anyone have pictures of the older stands? I have a couple older 6 ton ones (from 1999), but I am not sure if they came from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.
No labels with part numbers left on them:
IMG_20230212_183011942.jpg

Aaron Z
Those look red. As far as I know all the early hf stuff was orange. They had side red one relatively recently and then the more recent stuff was silver.

Those look red. As far as I know all the early hf stuff was orange. They had side red one relatively recently and then the more recent stuff was silver.
They are definitely red, not orange.
Probably Northern Tool then, there was either a Northern Tool or a Harbor Freight near where we were (we got a pair of them to put a car on for a teardown and moving the drivetrain from one to the other after Dad got rear ended at a stoplight by someone with no insurance doing 45mph and "looking at the light that just turned green" about 8k miles after an engine rebuild).
Was supposed to be my first car until my sister claimed it :shaking:

Aaron Z

Hell yeah, thanks for bringing this up. I know there was a recall, didn't know it covered so many.

Bought a set of recall ones (near new looking) off FB marketplace after seeing this thread for $40 (with the rubber pad things).

Took that pair and an old orange set that you could somehow still see the SKU on (though the guy said he'd take them anyhow), and got store credit for both.

With a morning stop today, and a stop on the way home back from work and the 25% off coupon for ITC members...was a direct swap (like to the exact penny).

I've got a set of their 12 ton units, but they don't have any in stock locally...and I need to use them pretty soon. As such, I'll wait for the next 20/25% off...since I'll gain money. The store credit is $143.00, they list for $149.99. So with a 20% off they'd be ~$120+tax.

Got two nice Daytona pairs sitting in the back of the Jeep now. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for more of them on CL/FB and replace the other couple sets I have.

Side Note: I didn't realize they now ONLY carry the Daytona jacks. They're not cheap to begin with...and the orange ones I had I probably paid well less than half of the Daytona years ago. So much for cheap jacks anymore at HF...they seem to be going higher end in all areas...some good, some bad.

I brought back two pairs of 3 tons and got a single pair of 6 ton for almost the exact amount. The manager hadn't seen the updated voluntary recall list. He just used a sku from the original recall and changed the price to get it to the $30/pair on the new list. Worked for me.

I have a set of 12 tons that I am 100% sure came from HF but there are no stickers left on either of them. I should have asked the manager if he'd take them.

Side Note: I didn't realize they now ONLY carry the Daytona jacks. They're not cheap to begin with...and the orange ones I had I probably paid well less than half of the Daytona years ago. So much for cheap jacks anymore at HF...they seem to be going higher end in all areas...some good, some bad.
Pluses and minuses for sure... Prices for everything are increasing and I think I'd prefer having their stuff come out of the "disposable" range.

Top Back Refresh