What's new

Hanging heavy shit on 2x4 walls

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Spana-graham, WA
My attached garage floor space is mostly eaten up with my old dirt bike collection, and I'd like to hang a couple of the lighter ones on the wall and park the others under em. The bikes I'd be hanging are 200-250 pounds. My idea was basically to build a dirt bike stand that sticks out of the wall and strap or u-bolt around the pegs to hold them down. To clear bars/front wheels they'd be about 2 feet out from the wall. I figure on lagging a 2x4 to neighboring studs to attach to the wall. Walls are the standard 2x4 studs 16" oc, would I be safe hanging that kinda weight off 2 studs?

My clusterfuck of a garage, for reference.
IMG_20200707_185818.jpg

You can hang that weight easy on 2x4. The trick is attaching without splitting the stud. Remember houses are built by stacking the wood, nails and screws are only there to keep the wood from moving, never to take weight.

Use lots of smaller fasteners instead of a couple big ones.

I'd make the brackets fully out of steel, with a long contact patch on the studs and a shitload of small screws holding it on.

I'd take a 2" box tube 2.25" shorter than the height of the wall weld a 2x5x.25 base plate on the bottom, and a 4" long 2x2x.25 angle on top. Attach your stand anywhere along the tube you want. Lags through the top angle into the wall top plates and a concrete anchor at the bottom. This way the load is supported by the tube and you remove the moment force from the 2x4 that's probably already split by 2.5 nails.

2x4 bolted in shear like you post sounds like a no go.
besides, lat load, shear loading, and fastener quality, what could go wrong...

I'd take a 2" box tube 2.25" shorter than the height of the wall weld a 2x5x.25 base plate on the bottom, and a 4" long 2x2x.25 angle on top. Attach your stand anywhere along the tube you want. Lags through the top angle into the wall top plates and a concrete anchor at the bottom. This way the load is supported by the tube and you remove the moment force from the 2x4 that's probably already split by 2.5 nails.

That's more along the lines of how the commercial versions look to be built. Attaching at the top plate instead of to the studs sounds wise.

2x4 bolted in shear like you post sounds like a no go.
besides, lat load, shear loading, and fastener quality, what could go wrong...

I was figuring screwing 2x4's vertically to the studs in the wall then screwing/bolting the stand portion to those, not driving lags into the side of the studs themselves (I can see how I was unclear on that). I'm no carpenter or engineer, as we can see.

Also not a carpenter, but would just building a rack on the wall and basically standing them up vertically on the back wheel and locking the front wheel up the wall get them out the way enough? Probably have to watch for fluid escapes, but then the weight would still be on the floor.

Can you do a cantilever type rack with feet on the ground (that the bikes and roll over) so you're putting most of the load back down to the floor and not in to the wall? A stick or two of 3/6" angle would build it. Screw or lag it to the wall more for stabilization than to take the load.

Top Back Refresh