What's new

HAM radio thread

Hold it like Fred Durst holds a microphone.

This is absolutely the appropriate method for Baofeng radios haha. It will not clip and you will sound good. It is almost like they have a super aggressive ALC or soemthing.

I get alot of 'static' when using my Baofeng's. Ranges on the channels being used and what radio. Can have 2 running and one will pickup some sort of feedback every 30 seconds and the other won't do anything.

I get alot of 'static' when using my Baofeng's. Ranges on the channels being used and what radio. Can have 2 running and one will pickup some sort of feedback every 30 seconds and the other won't do anything.

Crappy filtering in the front end... Whatta ya want for that cheap? If you want better sensitivity and intermod rejection, buy a Yaesu or an ICOM, ya gets what ya pays for. :rasta: :flipoff2:

Anybody on DMR yet? My Uncle bought us kits from Bridgecom Systems: AnyTone D878 paired to a SkyBridge hotspot. They can program it for you, you plug it into your router and off you go. I have been slowly dipping my toes in by answering CQs or QSOs or acknowledging radio checks (chatted with a cat in SK last weekend). Very easy to listen countrywide. I have since moved the hotspot to my house wifi and also paired it to my phone so it can be mobile. We didn't have much luck with any antenna set-ups - I seem to be too far from repeaters, but we are going to give that another go once spring gets here.

Crappy filtering in the front end... Whatta ya want for that cheap? If you want better sensitivity and intermod rejection, buy a Yaesu or an ICOM, ya gets what ya pays for. :rasta: :flipoff2:

Well if that's it then cool, didn't see this response before it got bumped.

IS DMR the system that only a few are using and each company seems to have their own version of it that doesn't talk to the other?

Don't think so? From what I am learning, it is based on a EU standard. A simplistic definition is that it's using the internet as a giant repeater.

Let's see here...

D-Star ICOM (and a couple of Kenwood models)

System Fusion (C4FM) Yaesu

DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) multiple manufacturers https://www.dmrfordummies.com/ (no personal association, just a good site)

P-25 multiple manufacturers Police, EMS, etc. use P-25, some of it encrypted (P-25 is the same as MotoTRBO)

None of these formats will talk to the others directly, there are "conversion interfaces" being developed as we chat, one of which is MMDVM. I anticipate within a few years someone will develop something that will talk to all of the formats, and "translate" as necessary...

I own a Yaesu DR-1X repeater on Poor Mtn. near Roanoke, VA It's on 442.200 and PL of 107.2 if you're using FM. Room # is 65776 if you'd like to access it via WIRES-X.

I own a VHF P-25 Handie, but am still trying to fix the firmware so I can use an older programming software and not have to pay $$$ for the newer version.

Also have a Tytera MD-380 DMR radio, but haven't used it in over a year.

Not a lick of experience with D-Star, don't even know if there's a repeater in the area...

That's the great thing about Amateur Radio... no matter what you're into there's most likely something to interest you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clb
My local repeater in Williamsburg has an Echolink setup. K8LF-L

This is probably old news to most, but it was new news to me. Figured it was worth sharing.

For a couple of years, I have had some Baofeng GT-3TP radios for trail riding trips. Typically I'll change the Frequency to match the default frequency on two-way walkie talkies as opposed to passing my radios around to everyone. This past weekend, I went wheeling and had radio problems times two (both of which I should have checked at camp before hitting the trails as I had a second radio and headset too).

First problem was my Rugged headset wouldn't transmit in or out. Turns out, 4 of the 5 wires inside the ear piece was broken off, so the headset is headed to Rugged for a Warranty replacement.

Second problem is fixed, but kind of strange too. I couldn't transmit in/out with just the handheld. Every time I hit PTT, I would get tones similar to dialing an old phone semi quickly. I reached out to Baofeng/Radioddity Support and was informed that they have recently had to lock out certain Frequencies/Channels on their handhelds.

So for one of my radios, I have to use a Frequency in the 144-148 range or a Channel in the 420-450 range to get it to work. My other three radios currently still work regardless of Frequency or Channel.

I wodner if you can bypass the lock out on them through Chirp. Some of the newer radios I've had to old down 3 buttons and turn it on to enable the transmit function.

I don't buy from Radioddity much anymore, they are sorta a PIA. Slow tech support, their deals never work out for me, their new radios don't work with chirp but their own software that really really sucks.

I wodner if you can bypass the lock out on them through Chirp. Some of the newer radios I've had to old down 3 buttons and turn it on to enable the transmit function.

I don't buy from Radioddity much anymore, they are sorta a PIA. Slow tech support, their deals never work out for me, their new radios don't work with chirp but their own software that really really sucks.
Probably so. I just found it strange that only 1 of my 4 radios is currently setup that way.

This is probably old news to most, but it was new news to me. Figured it was worth sharing.

For a couple of years, I have had some Baofeng GT-3TP radios for trail riding trips. Typically I'll change the Frequency to match the default frequency on two-way walkie talkies as opposed to passing my radios around to everyone. This past weekend, I went wheeling and had radio problems times two (both of which I should have checked at camp before hitting the trails as I had a second radio and headset too).

First problem was my Rugged headset wouldn't transmit in or out. Turns out, 4 of the 5 wires inside the ear piece was broken off, so the headset is headed to Rugged for a Warranty replacement.

Second problem is fixed, but kind of strange too. I couldn't transmit in/out with just the handheld. Every time I hit PTT, I would get tones similar to dialing an old phone semi quickly. I reached out to Baofeng/Radioddity Support and was informed that they have recently had to lock out certain Frequencies/Channels on their handhelds.

So for one of my radios, I have to use a Frequency in the 144-148 range or a Channel in the 420-450 range to get it to work. My other three radios currently still work regardless of Frequency or Channel.
It sounds like you are trying to use a Baofeng's Ham radio as a GMRS radios. Old Baofeng radios would transmit on GMRS frequiences; new Baofeng's Ham radios will not. I myself thought that I could repurpose a Ham radio for GMRS... Nope nada... not going to happen. Most of the newer Ham radios are disabled on transmitting on GMRS/FRS frequcies.

Radioddity does sell some really darn good GMRS radios. GM-30, and Btech GMRS 50V2. Get an aftermarket antenna for the hand held i.e. NA772.

IMHO: I wouldn't be messing around with the Ham frequencies. A lot of it has to do with emergency services, repeaters and APRS functions.

73's

K7DPO, WRPE754:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

Not that I am condoning or supporting such activities, but modern baofengs can be opened up to tx in the GMRS/FRS frequencies easily. Merely software modification. It is similar to the MARS/CAP mod, but only through configuration changes rather than plucking diodes.

It sounds like you are trying to use a Baofeng's Ham radio as a GMRS radios. Old Baofeng radios would transmit on GMRS frequiences; new Baofeng's Ham radios will not. I myself thought that I could repurpose a Ham radio for GMRS... Nope nada... not going to happen. Most of the newer Ham radios are disabled on transmitting on GMRS/FRS frequcies.

Radioddity does sell some really darn good GMRS radios. GM-30, and Btech GMRS 50V2. Get an aftermarket antenna for the hand held i.e. NA772.

IMHO: I wouldn't be messing around with the Ham frequencies. A lot of it has to do with emergency services, repeaters and APRS functions.

73's

K7DPO, WRPE754:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:
That's pretty accurate. Knowing what I know now (5 years after buying these particular handhelds), I would have been better off with some decent walkie talkies for our use since I do not want to interfere with any licensed frequencies. Which is why I always try to reprogram my radios to one of the default frequencies of the "cheap" walkie talkies.

Last edited:
Not that I am condoning or supporting such activities, but modern baofengs can be opened up to tx in the GMRS/FRS frequencies easily. Merely software modification. It is similar to the MARS/CAP mod, but only through configuration changes rather than plucking diodes.
I love to have visitors wheel some of my junk rigs when they visit. I don't have to worry when the rigs are equiipped with GMRS radios. They can use my GMRS call sign and life is good.
I am running Yaesu FTM300-DR's in all my junk; but that shit is powered off and off limits for non-Hams....:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

Top Back Refresh