What's new

Haas Toolroom Lathe

Duc

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
ABQ NM
Well I finally dropped the money to get a CNC lathe into the home garage to complement the Fadal 4020. I had look high and low for a used lathe that wasnt beat to shit or priced above what it should have been. Alot of machine dealers believe they have gold when it comes to CNC lathes that are 20 years old.

Really had a few things going against me,
1. Located in ABQ NM which is a barren waste land for machinery,
2. I wanted a small size to fit in the smaller bay of my 3 car garage since Fadal take a good chunk of the larger section
3. The ability to move it around with a pallet jack if needed.
4. No desire to convert a manual lathe to cnc or swap controller to something else.
5. Wanted a Engine CNC lathe to fit the type of non-production work I would do with it.

I was left a few models that would work for my need. Bridgeport EZ-trak lathe, Romi M17 or C420 lathe, Protrak 1630 lathe, Haas Toolroom Lathe Tl-1. Not a large section due to size. I had quotes drawn up for a 2001 Ez Path II SD for 16k and 2012 Prototrak 1630SX for 20k before rigging and shipping to NM. Shipping for either lathes added another $2400 to the cost and still couldnt see the conditon of the lathes without flying out to see them which would have added a 500-700 to the cost by the end. Almost kicked off the prototrak but it didnt appear to have extra M-codes to control secondary equipment such as a collet closer or any stupid thing I came up with. By chance I ran across a add that was post on a machinery forum about a Haas TL-1 located in ABQ but the guy now lived in FL.

His For Sale Add
2020 haas tl1 with less than 100 cutting ours on it.
A2-5 3000 rpm spindle
Tailstock
Riggid tapping
Comes with an array of cxa tool holders turning tools true bore alignment system 6 jaw chuck spindle adapter to use chuck without true bore system high pressure coolant through muzzle system jgs reamer holder. And some assorted measuring tools
Received this machine September of 2020 and ended up having to move and no longer have the space or time. It is currently sitting in storage in Albuquerque NM and I am in fl so I will have to coordinate with the storage for you to see the machine however it is currently wrapped up and ready for shipping so if it gets unwrapped to view I doubt they will re-wrap the machine for you but are able to load onto a trailer. Asking $35,000 for everything. Can't figure out how to attach pictures so message me and we will work out how to send pictures.

Everything screamed scam to me but what do I have to lose in scheduling a time to see the machine since Im in ABQ. The machine was in ABQ but the coolant tank and tooling was in FL so that added to the issues. I was able to call the Haas rep to see if he knew about the machine or the backstory. He did remember selling the machine to the guy and agreed he couldnt have many hours since it was in a home garage compared to a shop. I found some time to see the machine but there was no power to the machine. Still a risk but a much smaller one than a 20 year old lathe I think. We finally came to a agreement about payment for the machine and how much to hold back till the machine accessories arrived in ABQ.

Total Price $30,800
$27K for the main machine

$3,800 for the accessories.
-Coolant tank
-14 CXA tool holders with 3 of them being gang style
-His cutting tools, not much
-6 jaw chuck
- True bore alignment system for doing gun barrels.
I turned down the measurement tools and JGS reamer tool. Tooling I have a bunch of and not sure I care to do barrels.

20210924_070133.jpg

Now the logistics of payment and retrieving the lathe almost made me say fuck this. His buddy was a pain to schedule time with and I wasnt willing to send payment till I was there it grab it. First schedule time was called off since it was a banking holiday and he didnt trust I would send the money. Not sure why since I have no desire to lose my good paying job that his MIL also works at. I had already transferred $1k as down payment. Next I was suppose to drop off a trailer and his buddy would drive it over sometime in the two days which was so so but I would have to pay him $150 and drop off a rented trailer for him to use. In the end I snuck out of work for 4 hours to retrieve the lathe. I never did pay his buddy $150 since he only dropped the lathe off behind the tilt trailer and didnt help pull it up or push it up with the trailer. Seriously fuck that guy.

Used a Come-A-along to pull the lathe up the trailer. Wore my ass out using a shitty HF come-a-long for 45 mins. I stopped once the deck would rotate to level.
20211013_095629.jpg

Reversed the operation to pull the lathe off the trailer. Fuck load easier and had my dad help unload. We did have to correct the rotation using a 2x4 while unloading.
20211013_105212.jpg

Sunk a anchor into the garage floor to get the lathe fully off. Epoxy floor held up really well dragging the lathe across it.
20211013_111423.jpg

300 Hours of power up which is total tiime powered on versus cutting time.. Which is a joke. Most shops would have that in 2-3 weeks versus a year.
20211014_052748.jpg

So the question is, what are you making with such a machine?

Also, cool.

Those are really nice machines
Sure hope so. Tons of money but the visual programming system works really well on the lathe.

So the question is, what are you making with such a machine?

Also, cool.

Home projects for now. Always wanted one and miss having a lathe when I sold my manual one during the move.

Very nice! 300hrs power on time ain't shit.

According to the timers it has 259 hours of power on time, 30 hours of Feed cutting time. So barely broken in.

I've been learning how to use the VPS system for turning, drilling and tapping in air till the accessories ship or the chuck I ordered shows up. Ordered a Bison 4 jaw independent chuck to go along with the lathe.

I looked at those at fabtech a few years back. Nice little machine for small runs or 1 off cnc stuff. Looks like you got a good deal despite the headaches

The "buddy" sounds like every deal with an intermediary

Home projects for now. Always wanted one and miss having a lathe when I sold my manual one during the move.

Damnit. I didn't know you sold that. I probably would have driven back down there and bought it. That thing was perfect for what I do and I don't see many of them pop up for sale...at least not with that spindle bore.

I looked at those at fabtech a few years back. Nice little machine for small runs or 1 off cnc stuff. Looks like you got a good deal despite the headaches

The "buddy" sounds like every deal with an intermediary

Partially why I dont want the accessories sent to his shop.

Damnit. I didn't know you sold that. I probably would have driven back down there and bought it. That thing was perfect for what I do and I don't see many of them pop up for sale...at least not with that spindle bore.

Well I sold it to my buddy in Huntsville first but he purchased a Haas ST10 for his shop. That thing was a tank when it came to removing material.

Partially why I dont want the accessories sent to his shop.

Well I sold it to my buddy in Huntsville first but he purchased a Haas ST10 for his shop. That thing was a tank when it came to removing material.
It was the ~3" spindle bore that I could use. Really hard to find that paired with a shorter bed length like that one.

If he has an ST10, he's probably not using that thing any more. Tell him I'll pay a little better than scrap weight for it! :flipoff2:

It was the ~3" spindle bore that I could use. Really hard to find that paired with a shorter bed length like that one.

If he has an ST10, he's probably not using that thing any more. Tell him I'll pay a little better than scrap weight for it! :flipoff2:

He sold it after i left to a guy in OK. I thought it only had a 2.25in bore which is still pretty good.

He sold it after i left to a guy in OK. I thought it only had a 2.25in bore which is still pretty good.
There's actually a slightly newer version on ebay right now and it says 2-3/8". For some reason I thought you could fit a beer can in yours which would put it closer to 2.6". I'd just like something I can stick the splined part of a driveshaft in without having to rig up my steady rest.

I had to
There's actually a slightly newer version on ebay right now and it says 2-3/8". For some reason I thought you could fit a beer can in yours which would put it closer to 2.6". I'd just like something I can stick the splined part of a driveshaft in without having to rig up my steady rest.

I did have the option of buying a Tl-1 or Tl-2 lathe with a A2-6 spindle which would give a bore of 3.5 inches. Nothing I do requires that big of a bore I hope. From the factory it is a $4600 option.

Leblond manual specs called out a 2.28in bore. Pretty big for a 15x30 lathe. Anything in oil country would have a bigger one for pipe work.

Nice machine.

Local high school sold a TM-1 mill and lathe this spring. Regret almost daily not buying them for the selling price.

I am wanting to get into a pair of CNC machines. Im quite curious as to how much easier you find the Haas to learn as compared to the Fadal, assuming it has the old controls still.

Thats a nice machine! I worked with one years ago. I liked it, but found it difficult to do manual stuff and not really a production CNC lathe either. If your in between those two realms its great. We did a lot of small parts, small runs on ours. The visual programming at the console did work well once I figured out how to work it.

Kevin

Found a fun project to learn the controller on the lathe. A rotary broach seemed like a fun and interesting tool to make plus can cost 350-1600 for the tool. The tooling offset and work offset were easy to understand on the controller after a Haas youtube video. Little bit different than the Fadal but both are easy controllers. The Haas you can tell is 20 years newer with pictures and visual programming guides.

Finished piece. Used common bearings and thrust bearings from Mcmaster and cutting tool purchased from Polygon Solutions for $60. Not really worth making the cutting tool for that price. I need to turn a alignment tool that comes to a point to match the center of the chuck to the tool. The tool has a 1 degree offset on the shaft base that causes a issue aligning to the tool shaft. Tool is overbuilt and should last a lifetime.

20211124_145133.jpg

20211124_145112.jpg

Complete tool
20211119_133858.jpg

Break down on the tool.
20211119_134112.jpg

Shaft construction. My ass hole was puckered with the hands off thread for the cnc lathe. In the past I used a left hand tool on my manual lathe so I could thread away from the shoulder. Had to make sure to turn off Z home with the tailstock in place.

20211112_184337.jpg

Attached the shaft and rear cap together to machine the 1 degree offset for the tool. I used some blue dykem to make sure the full surface was machined. Some what of a kludge fixture setup. Second op, the disc was removed from the shaft to machine the holes perpendicular to the 1 degree surface. I left the disc oversized in diameter till the main body and disc were attached.
20211116_201608.jpg

Main body. Had some chatter at the end but I cleaned that when I increased the depth a little for the jesus clip. Rear cap is also attached in the picture.
20211119_134150.jpg

Additional blue dykem to know when I'm touching the body a bit. Blue painters tape to protect the finish some.
20211119_131954.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, been meaning to make a broacher myself. Just a couple questions if you have a minute

The top face of the rear cap is 1* off, but the body was just turned square?

Does the thrust washer sit on that shelf in the main body? If so is the cup behind it just for clearance on the tool holder back cap?

Some of you guys home shop setups are amazing.

A very understanding wife plus being Dual income with no kids and very little debt helps.

Thanks for the pics, been meaning to make a broacher myself. Just a couple questions if you have a minute

The top face of the rear cap is 1* off, but the body was just turned square?

Does the thrust washer sit on that shelf in the main body? If so is the cup behind it just for clearance on the tool holder back cap?
Yes the body was turned square and the cap has the 1 degree machined in. Makes for a easier setup for me and allowed for turning the body in the lathe versus the mill with a boring head. The thrust bearings is placed at the rear of the tool shaft with a small disc mounted on the shaft to increase the shaft diameter to match the diameter of the thrust beaing. Otherwise I would have needed bigger bearing for the increased ID on them.

Hopefully this explain some more. The Haas TL is rated for 1947 lbf of thurst and the thrust bearing is good for 2400 lbs
Parts.JPG

I can also send the CAD files to anyone that wants them.

Last edited:
Hopefully this explain some more. The Haas TL is rated for 1947 lbf of thurst and the thrust bearing is good for 2400 lbs
A bearing isn't "good to" a single number. It's like tires. Run them heavy and fast and they will wear out in short order. That "2400lb" has an implied service life and speed attached.

A bearing isn't "good to" a single number. It's like tires. Run them heavy and fast and they will wear out in short order. That "2400lb" has an implied service life and speed attached.
Yep. The needle bearings should last a lifetime for the usage it will see in my garage. If not its a $4 part. I was a little lazy about grabbing my textbook to see what the life should be estimated at. Load rating goes higher once its rotating.

Needle bearing.JPG

Took care a annoying item on the lathe. At some point Haas removed the parameter option to disable to the door sensors which means the chuck can only run now when the doors are closed. Impossible to polish items in the chuck or a major pain to use the tail stock with a drill chuck.

Time to fix it. Inductive sensors are labels P40 and P41 and both need to be active for the lathe to home or start the chuck
20211126_111307.jpg

I was hoping they were wires held in with a screw connector on the I/O board but they had molex connectors that I dont currently stock in the garage. Located in the Top right area of the board. I have to use a pallet jack to move the lathe away from the wall to normally access this area since i have it about 4 inches from the wall due to space issues.
20211127_113155.jpg

20211127_112429.jpg

Plan B is to tap into the sensor cables to bypass the sensor. I used wire tapes for the time being but will be soldering the joint to clean up maybe...
20211127_155527.jpg

I had planned on a switch for each door but the second switch was bad. Luckily the first switch was a Double pole single throw switch (DPST) so both could be bypassed. Works like a charm.
20211127_160612.jpg

Plan on installing 2 22mm LED latching switching that light up when in override mode.
Switch.JPG

Finished with the button install. Just need to build a label plate once the work laser engraver is up and going.
20211130_193455.jpg

Override on.
20211130_193451.jpg

Thats a nice machine! I worked with one years ago. I liked it, but found it difficult to do manual stuff and not really a production CNC lathe either. If your in between those two realms its great. We did a lot of small parts, small runs on ours. The visual programming at the console did work well once I figured out how to work it.

Kevin
So this statement has come back to haunt me. Excellent lathe for 1 or 2 parts but a fucking annoyance for more than 2 parts. Making the bolts for the welding table has shown how little I want to change out 3-6 tools for each part. I might be able to have a tool changer installed for 10-14k from haas :eek:. Seems in the past companies used to offer a gang tooling setup for the TL-1 but seems to have fallen out of favor due to haas offering a tool changer from the factory I think.

Dorian Tool post setup

or a custom setup

Since Dorian no longer sells the setup, Ive decided to make a mount that uses the hardinge gang tooling setup similar to the Tormach lathe. Purchased a CHNC changer off ebay since it came with tool holders for cheap. I don't have a use for the changer but total purchase was $240 and Tormach or Omniturn sells them for $150 each tool holder.
s-l400.jpg

Setup looks a little similar to the haas 8 station turret for the TL series
1673152900408.png

Checking pre machining fit up. Block of aluminum is 5in x 5.25in x 9in. Found cheap on ebay but I will need to take 1.5 inches off the top.
Concept.jpg

Pre mill.jpg

Hogging.jpg

Enough chips removed from it.
Chips.jpg

Instead of buying a keyseat cutter for $90 dollars, I purchased the unit from Tormach for $160 instead of buying the standard 2 tools since you will break it when you purchase 1. Actually surprised by the quality of the unit.
Tormach plate.jpg

Rough test fit of the parts.
Test fit.jpg

Tomorrow I will show more details about the bottom plate and how I fucked up a few details on the setup from a brain fart. Nothing critical but more annoying.

Attachments

• 20230106_180538.jpg
    20230106_180538.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230106_180948.jpg
    20230106_180948.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Still working on the programming since I dont own a ER16 wrench but a new one is on the way.

The VPS system on the lathe works well for generating programs if your new to cnc but will not work for gang tooling unless you modify the movement before hand.

Sample code for the face and turn. I had to make sure the X moved into position before the Z movement. Im still getting comfortable with lathe coding so working this one step at a time. I also need to pick up a gopro to film inside the lathe.

O01000(FACING CYCLE)
(SAFETY LINE BELOW)
G00 G54 G18 G40 G80 G97 G99
(TOOL = 1 / OFFSET = 1)
(WORK OFFSET = 54)
(MAXIMUM SPINDLE RPM = 1500)
(CONSTANT SURFACE SPEED = 600)
(OUTSIDE DIAMETER: 1.530)
(FINISH DIAMETER: -0.1)
(STOCK TO REMOVE = .015)
(DEPTH PER PASS = .005)
T101
G54
G50 S1500
G97 S600 M03
G00 X1.53
G00 Z0.215
M09
G96 S600
G00 Z0.015
G72 P699 Q700 D0.005 U0. W0.001 F0.005
N699 G00 Z0.
G01 X-0.1
N700 G00 Z0.015
G00 G80 Z0.215
G97 S600
M09
G00 X1.55 (SAFE TC POSITION)
G00 Z1. (SAFE TC POSITION)
M05
(END FACING CYCLE)

(Turn Cycle)
(TOOL = 1 / OFFSET = 1)
(WORK OFFSET = 54)
(MAXIMUM SPINDLE RPM = 1800)
(CONSTANT SURFACE SPEED = 500)
(OUTSIDE DIAMETER: 1.50)
(FINISH DIAMETER: 1.375)
(FILLET RADIUS = 0.0)
(DEPTH PER PASS = .030)
G50 S1800 (Max Spindle Speed)
G97 S720 M03
G00 X1.530
G00 Z0.2
M09
G96 S500 (Constant surface speed)
G71 P781 Q782 D0.03 U0. W0.001 F0.007
N781 G00 X1.375
G01 Z-1.25
N782 X1.6
G00 Z0.2
G97 S720
M09
G00 X1.5 (SAFE TC POSITION)
G00 Z3. (SAFE TC POSITION)
M05
(END OD TURN CYCLE)

I have the program developed thru facing, turning and the different drilling and tapping program but Im running to issues with the gang tooling setup for the Haas. According to the sad manual for the TL lathe, the gang tooling option should be selected by using T[tool number][Offset number] but the machine keeps asking for a tool change instead of auto switching.

On the gang tooling I'm using tool 21 with offsets 21 for tap, offset 22 for drill and offset 23 for spot drill. According to manual it should switch over without asking for a tool change.

Program
O01000(Drilling and tapping CYCLE)
(SAFETY LINE BELOW)

(CENTER DRILL)
T2123
G54 G99
G97 S700 M03
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.2
M09
G00 Z0.2
G82 X0. Z-0.3 P0. R0.2 F0.003
G80
G00 Z0.2
M09
G00 X0. (SAFE TC POSITION)
G00 Z5. (SAFE TC POSITION)
(END OF CYCLE)

(DRILL)
T2122
G54 G99
G97 S750 M03
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.05
M09
G00 Z0.05
G83 X0. Z-1. R0.05 Q0.1 F0.0015
G80
G00 Z0.05
M09
G00 Z4. (SAFE TC POSITION)
(END OF CYCLE)

(TAP)
T2121
G54 G99
G97 S400
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.2
M09
G00 Z0.2
G84 X0. Z-0.85 R0.2 F0.0625
G80
G00 Z0.2
M09
(END OF CYCLE)

Any suggestions?

Your programs make my head hurt. Learning G code is like learning another language. Right now you have tourettes and a stutter.

I'm bored and googling on CNC zone....

Try a G0 before your tool change?

G00 T2123

I'm bored and googling on CNC zone....

Try a G0 before your tool change?

G00 T2123
Ill have to try that after work tomorrow. I was able to change the setting in the lathe to gang tooling to fix the drill cycle but I guess I will need to put in a manual stop after drilling and tapping to switch to the cut knurler then a another pause for the parting tool. Once in gang mode it no longer asks to switch tools.

Also ordered a Gopro to video this. Either going to be cool or a awesome crash. I might also be able to adding the cut knurler to the far side to avoid a tool change. Changing to a different parting tool would also allow to face, turn and part with the same tool.

Your programs make my head hurt. Learning G code is like learning another language. Right now you have tourettes and a stutter.
Yep. This is a modified code from the conversional code generated by the lathe since I'm new as shit to CNC lathes. The gang tooling is probably trying to run before walking but fuck that many tool changes. Any suggests for a part tool that can also be used for turning? Stock is 1.5in with a 5/16 hole in center.

Here is the current code. Im open to improvements. The X movements before Z was to avoid shearing off the gang tooling.

O01000(FACING CYCLE)
(SAFETY LINE BELOW)
(TOOL = 1 / OFFSET = 1)
(WORK OFFSET = 54)
(MAXIMUM SPINDLE RPM = 1500)
(CONSTANT SURFACE SPEED = 600)
(OUTSIDE DIAMETER: 1.530)
(FINISH DIAMETER: -0.1)
(STOCK TO REMOVE = .015)
(DEPTH PER PASS = .005)
T1
G54
G50 S1500
G97 S600 M03
G00 X1.53
G00 Z0.215
M09
G96 S600
G00 Z0.015
G72 P699 Q700 D0.005 U0. W0.001 F0.005
N699 G00 Z0.
G01 X-0.1
N700 G00 Z0.015
G00 G80 Z0.215
G97 S600
M09
G00 X1.55 (SAFE TC POSITION)
G00 Z1. (SAFE TC POSITION)
M05
(END FACING CYCLE)

(Turn Cycle)
(TOOL = 1 / OFFSET = 1)
(WORK OFFSET = 54)
(MAXIMUM SPINDLE RPM = 1800)
(CONSTANT SURFACE SPEED = 500)
(OUTSIDE DIAMETER: 1.50)
(FINISH DIAMETER: 1.375)
(FILLET RADIUS = 0.0)
(DEPTH PER PASS = .030)
G50 S1800 (Max Spindle Speed)
G97 S720 M03
G00 X1.530
G00 Z0.2
M09
G96 S500 (Constant surface speed)
G71 P781 Q782 D0.03 U0. W0.001 F0.007
N781 G00 X1.375
G01 Z-1.25
N782 X1.6
G00 Z0.2
G97 S720
M09
G00 X1.5 (SAFE TC POSITION)
G00 Z3. (SAFE TC POSITION)
M05
(END OD TURN CYCLE)
(TOOL = 21 / OFFSET = 23)
(SPINDLE RPM = 700 )
( WORK OFFSET = 54)
(FEEDRATE = F0.003 )
( R PLANE = 0.2 / Z DEPTH = -0.3 )

(CENTER DRILL)
T2123
G54 G99
G97 S700 M03
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.2
M09
G00 Z0.2
G80
G00 Z0.2
M09
(END OF CYCLE)

(DRILL)
T2122
G54 G99
G97 S750 M03
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.05
M09
G00 Z0.05
G83 X0. Z-1. R0.05 Q0.1 F0.0015
G80
G00 Z0.05
M09
(END OF CYCLE)

(TAP)
T2121
G54 G99
G97 S400
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.2
M09
G00 Z0.2
G84 X0. Z-0.85 R0.2 F0.0625
G80
G00 Z0.2
M09
(END OF CYCLE)

We have a Okuma lahe that does not like to switch tools unless you have a T0000 at the end of each cycle.

(CENTER DRILL)
T2123
G54 G99
G97 S700 M03
G00 X0.
G00 Z0.2
M09
G00 Z0.2
G80
G00 Z0.2
M09
T0000 (CLEARS TOOL AND OFFSET)
M01 (OPTIONAL STOP, I ALWAYS ADD THIS FOR OPERERTOR EASE OF SET UP)
(END OF CYCLE)

Top Back Refresh