What's new

Gutter Runner potato soup recipe?

2JZ

Member Number
Who's got it? Been a couple years since Ive made it. Anyone have the recipe? I'm not going back to the other place to find it.:rolleyes:

1 lb bacon
5 lbs potatoes (Russet or Idaho Gold)
2 large white onions
2 bunches Green Onion
5 stalks celery
5 carrots (sliced, diced or julienne)
4-8 cups of chicken broth + water to cover
3 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 spoonfuls minced garlic
3 ½ tsp basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
5 tsp Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
3/4 -1 stick butter
1 pint heavy whipping cream

Order of cooking:

Cut the bacon into 1” pieces. Fry the bacon in the stock pot until very crispy. Remove the bacon, and drain grease from stock pot (leave bacon “residue” in the pot). Peel the potatoes and cut into 1” cubes. Larger cubes will result in “chunkier” soup. Cut onions into fairly small chunks. Slice Green Onions. Slice celery stalks. Slice/Dice/Juilienne the carrots (if purchased whole). Put all in the pot, cover with water, and bring to a roiling boil.

Add the following: broth, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, basil, red pepper, and hot sauce.

Stir. Bring the soup to a rolling boil uncovered, then turn it down a bit to just a steady low boil, covered for 1.5-3 hrs. It does not have to be a heavy boil the whole time. Keep an eye on the soup, if it starts getting too thick, add some water right away and reduce it to a simmer. After boiling a few hours, it will thicken nicely. If short on time, the soup can be thickened by adding flour (flavor will not be as full though). Reduce the heat to a simmer. It typically takes me about 2.5 hours for me.

Stir in the bacon, butter, and whipping cream. Let simmer for ~1/2 hour. Serve with bread/butter, and favorite local brew.

Ham or 2 to 3 smoked ham hocks may be substituted for bacon. Up to 2 lbs of bacon has been used. Cheese may be added or used as topping.

Enjoy.

Just made another batch last night, let it sit until today before eating, its always better after it sits a little while!

The recipe mentions cutting the potatoes into bigger chunks if you want there to be anything left of them by the time it's done. I've taken to making batches with half russet potatoes, half yellow or yukon gold. The russets end up dissolving and thickening up the soup nicely, while the yellow potatoes hold their shape so you still have something to bite into.

Glad you reminded me of this, it's getting to be the season. Chili tonight, Gutter Runner's Soup this weekend :smokin:

To clarify the chicken broth portion, is it 4-8 cups of canned liquid broth before adding water to cover? Or the buillon cubes mentioned in the link plus enough water to cover the potatoes?

I'm a cooking retard so I like explicit instructions with precise measurements that I can't possibly fuck up

To clarify the chicken broth portion, is it 4-8 cups of canned liquid broth before adding water to cover? Or the buillon cubes mentioned in the link plus enough water to cover the potatoes?

I'm a cooking retard so I like explicit instructions with precise measurements that I can't possibly fuck up
I use a measuring cup to add water, so I could see how much I needed to add to cover the potatoes, then I added bullion cubes to match the amount of water (usually 1 cube per 1 cup of water). This is what you do to make "chicken broth" out of cubes and water. If you have actual chicken broth, just add that as it is.

It's a great day for soup! Trying this recipe for the first time. Currently simmering, waiting to add cream, butter, bacon. So far, the only substitution has been Cholula for buffalo sauce. We ran out of sauce last week and I didn't feel like going to the store.

20211113_124449.jpg

Made this last night. Got home late from hunting so I didn’t have 2.5hrs for this to simmer. Started chopping at 4:45z. Served it at 6:15. It was great, but I want to try it the long way too.

I used a rolling boil for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then I put 3 ladles of the soup in the blender. Added back to the pot. Added cream, bacon and butter. Low simmer for 25 minutes. It was great. My wife likes thinner soups, I like chunky. This was a great way for both of us to be happy.

Soups on! I'm doing 2 pounds of maple bourbon smoked ham in this batch. 😎🍺

Attachments

• 20220114_141422.jpg
    20220114_141422.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • 16421954577223733593374073246079.jpg
    16421954577223733593374073246079.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Made this last night. Got home late from hunting so I didn’t have 2.5hrs for this to simmer. Started chopping at 4:45z. Served it at 6:15. It was great, but I want to try it the long way too.

I used a rolling boil for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then I put 3 ladles of the soup in the blender. Added back to the pot. Added cream, bacon and butter. Low simmer for 25 minutes. It was great. My wife likes thinner soups, I like chunky. This was a great way for both of us to be happy.
Sometimes if I want it to thicken up quicker, I just mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pan while stirring. Works great. :beer:

Sometimes if I want it to thicken up quicker, I just mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pan while stirring. Works great. :beer:
I’ve made this 4 times this season. I’m pretty sure you can’t screw it’s up. I like the idea of just mashing in the pot.

Pressure cooker suggestions?
I wouldn’t pressure cook it. The potatoes will break down into mush.
Crock pot or slow simmer on the stove if you don’t want Gutter Runners mashed potato soup.
It’s worth the effort and time to do it right.

Top Back Refresh