What's new

Grooving HMMWV Tires Beyond/Below/Between Tread Blocks

When you hit the cords with the groover, keep going a little more until you hear a hiss sounds, that when they really start to flex. :flipoff2:

It seems you're trying to get new tire performance out of old cheap tires. Those og mt's suck, that's why even at the $75 ea or whatever you can get them for, you rarely see them.

The only effort I would put in, is having a tire store do the full sipe for $85 or whatever, if your tire places do that.

It seems you're trying to get new tire performance out of old cheap tires. Those og mt's suck, that's why even at the $75 ea or whatever you can get them for, you rarely see them.

The only effort I would put in, is having a tire store do the full sipe for $85 or whatever, if your tire places do that.

Your comment, while valid, goes against community standards.

"You're still running 16.5's" is more relevant. :flipoff2:

I hope nobody is paying $75 a tire for those things. I remember buying them for $50 a tire back in 2000. :laughing:

You'll never guess what $50 in 2000 is in 2020 dollars :flipoff2::laughing:

:laughing: holy fuck that is depressing.

at least we had "hyperinflation" to blame for the 70's-80's inflation.

not a damn peep about inflation over the past 20 years outside of the very brief "negative inflation" scandal during obama years, yet 50% value loss of the $ during that time period....sigh.

You bring up good points.

I'm poor; as such, that dictates many of the directions I'm taking on my 1ton axle swaps.

I wanted as a minimum, 37" off road tires; military tires were/are cheap.

My off roading will be pretty much 90% backcountry overlanding.

In its current form; I'm easily sliding on packed snow/black ice with the HMMWV tires.

By siping said HMMWV tires I'm hoping to recover, as much as possible, traction on the street.

I have snowchains for off-the-road driving.

HMMWV tires are a stopgap until I get the 1ton front axle installed.

And then I'll plan for the 'real' set of rims/tires.

Top Back Refresh