What's new

Grizzly flats and outskirts of placerville?

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
Anybody have any opinions of the area? Looks like one of the last seemingly nice areas in ca that you can buy a decent house sub 300k.
I was planning on spending the weekend up there but work put a halt to that, so hopefully I can spend a few days with the family there next weekend.

Really looking for the long term play... buy something that needs minimal work and rent it out with the plan of paying it of in 5 or so years and then re-evaluate.

I specifically wanted to put my eyes on this place

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-54432?view=qv

And then this piece of property popped up and I started daydreaming about building a small rental home and then a apartment above a 2 car garage for a home base up that way near the sierras.
It's been for sale for 6 months and they only payed 74k for it in 2016 so I'd like to hope I may be able to lowball them 25% with cash... that is assuming its buildable

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-25818?view=qv

Last edited:
Gunna be nicer than the slocal desert , less people 2.
Nice country, decent people (cept for the areas with banjo music in the air:stirthepot:),
eldo county sheriff's a pro gun guy.
That is right at snow level I think not positive on that one tho.

I had a coworker from Diamond Springs. Nice area, gets a bit of snow in the winter. He had a bitchen house, but even in the 90s he said if there was ever a fire he was just going to GTFO because even with all the prevention he did annually on his land he knew there was no saving it.

I also think Glenn from the old site lived up that way too.

absolutley beautiful country.

A long distance rental will be a real pain, you will want a local handyman on call for emergencies. I would also keep 12-24 months of payments in an account, relying on rent to pay your mortgage will lead to pain. You make your money when you buy a property then squeeze it out ounce by ounce.

Reactions: Clb
I have a home/lived in eastern Placerville near last exit off 50. Grizzly Flat would get a pretty good amount of snow and still be in BFE. I think it depends upon how much snow you want to get.

Personally, when I was shopping to go from Placerville further out, I ended up in Georgetown... well, 10 miles out at 3500'. Drive distance appears to be same between GF and Georgetown to get into Folsom(~ 1 hour). I get ~18" of snow per storm with an accumulation of about 3'. I've been told this number has been low from an older resident.

The nice thing about Georgetown is you get your choice of Auburn or Placerville to do "major" shopping like Home Depot, Walmart, Target, etc.

My house out here was in the $250k range with some repair... but included 6 acres and a great flat shop for a shop.

I'm not sure if you have accounted getting wild fire insurance.:homer: Prepare to grab your ankles and wait for a dry entry. My house outside Placerville almost tripled this year when previous insurer decided to not renew. I've heard people out further getting nailed to the tune of $4k-$5k per year.

Another consideration is internet requirements. Be prepared for no normal internet and having to do satellite/wireless. Or if you get lucky, you could get business class internet with the associated bill😨

Also, you may have cell service issues. My house gets spotty service for Verizon. Top of my lot I can get service. In the house, not so much :(

Grizzly Flat house looks way to far and high for a practical rental. Snow, fire danger, internet has all been mentioned. It probably will be like living off grid with the exception of power.

I can put eyes on the Mother Lode house next week. Too close to 50 for my taste though.

I can put eyes on the Mother Lode house next week. Too close to 50 for my taste though.

I eyeballed a house on Mother Lode 10 years ago. It was too close to 50 with plenty of noise. My Placerville is close to 50 but has a pretty good hill between the house and 50. It is rare to hear noise except for a-hole Harley riders reving up:rolleyes:

I have a home/lived in eastern Placerville near last exit off 50. Grizzly Flat would get a pretty good amount of snow and still be in BFE. I think it depends upon how much snow you want to get.

Personally, when I was shopping to go from Placerville further out, I ended up in Georgetown... well, 10 miles out at 3500'. Drive distance appears to be same between GF and Georgetown to get into Folsom(~ 1 hour). I get ~18" of snow per storm with an accumulation of about 3'. I've been told this number has been low from an older resident.

The nice thing about Georgetown is you get your choice of Auburn or Placerville to do "major" shopping like Home Depot, Walmart, Target, etc.

My house out here was in the $250k range with some repair... but included 6 acres and a great flat shop for a shop.

I'm not sure if you have accounted getting wild fire insurance.:homer: Prepare to grab your ankles and wait for a dry entry. My house outside Placerville almost tripled this year when previous insurer decided to not renew. I've heard people out further getting nailed to the tune of $4k-$5k per year.

Another consideration is internet requirements. Be prepared for no normal internet and having to do satellite/wireless. Or if you get lucky, you could get business class internet with the associated bill😨

Also, you may have cell service issues. My house gets spotty service for Verizon. Top of my lot I can get service. In the house, not so much :(

I like the idea of the place being a little further out there. It's about 3 hrs from me which is close enough if I have to go there and i dont care about internet but others may.

fire insurance is something i need to look into

I'll also look into Georgetown also.

Any input as to the type of people that live in grizzly flats? Are there stereotypes good or bad that seem to be true?

Top Back Refresh