What's new

Gravity Wagon Deer Blind

I know it's like calling the titanic unsinkable, but this thing should be pretty mouse-proof. Unless they chew a hole in the sheathing or soffit, idk how they'd get in. Everything went together pretty tight, and then the metal flashing from the walls to box locked that avenue down. But at least as it sits, mice should be pretty easy to spot if they do get in.

Nicest blind ever:smokin: Don't use rigid foam, it acts like a drum head and amplifies sound, thump it with a finger!

Nicest blind ever:smokin: Don't use rigid foam, it acts like a drum head and amplifies sound, thump it with a finger!
Thanks!

If budget were no object, I'd have had this thing spray foamed with 1-2" of closed cell on the walls and 3-4" on the ceiling. Then blown in on top of that. But the budget here was a constant balance of wanting to save a few bucks while still having this thing bring good money at the estate auction.

Up high, hopefully the rigid foam won't negatively impact sound. I figured it was better than bare sheathing. Next year, if I get a ceiling and acoustic foam in like I'm hoping, it shouldn't matter anyway.

Well, the deer blind did its job today. Two kids got their first deer and had a great time. Still have some tags to fill, so we'll give it another shot tomorrow.
IMG_3848.jpeg

My buddy connected on a Doe this morning. Got her too low which made for a shit deal tracking her through into a swamp. But luckily she was roughly the size of a golden retriever which made for an easier drag out. Nonetheless, three deer for three first timers in a weekend makes the blind a success in my book. He was also pretty excited to have his Max-4 camo to blend in for once this weekend.

IMG_3852.jpeg
IMG_3853.jpeg

Appears to be a fawn
Yeah, I gave him a fair amount of shit. But ultimately he got a deer and didn't bitch about the work it took to get it home. Frankly a bigger deer probably would have ended up lost. He got a piece of one lung and the liver. After about 60 yards she bedded down in the reeds for awhile and then got back up (not pushed). A mature deer probably would have run far enough into that swamp to make finding her nearly impossible. He learned a lesson on picking your shot and better evaluating your target, but still came out with a happy ending. It's all a learning experience, and in this case his kids got to learn right along side him.

Yeah, I gave him a fair amount of shit. But ultimately he got a deer and didn't bitch about the work it took to get it home. Frankly a bigger deer probably would have ended up lost. He got a piece of one lung and the liver. After about 60 yards she bedded down in the reeds for awhile and then got back up (not pushed). A mature deer probably would have run far enough into that swamp to make finding her nearly impossible. He learned a lesson on picking your shot and better evaluating your target, but still came out with a happy ending. It's all a learning experience, and in this case his kids got to learn right along side him.
It will be good eating , we have all been there or at least most of us !

Now you need to cut a fill door in the side of the bottom so you can fill it with corn. Open that slide and have the bait right at your feet.
Haha, yeah, don't think the thought didn't cross my mind. But no baiting allowed here. The flip side is that this field was picked a week ago. The guy that farms it is a smaller operation with older equipment and leaves a lot of corn in the field. Not much different than baiting, other than being legal.

I do think I'm going to cut a hole in it next year so I can add some concert into the bin. Should help with pulling stability quite a bit.

Top Back Refresh