What's new

Grand Canyon

D-Rat

Fartknocker
Member Number
Loc
Mesa, AZ
Just back from a 13 day oar trip down the canyon. If you ever get a chance to do this, DO IT! It's truly an amazing place. I've wheeled and camped all over both rims but never got to see the full length of the river (226 miles from Lee's Ferry to Diamond Creek). 12 nights sleeping under the stars with no light or noice pollution....just the river.

It was a good reset.

Awesome! That has been on my bucket list ever since I did the one day trip at the little end of the canyon. Currently I keep putting in the monthly lottery in attempt to reserve a room at Phantom Ranch and do the rim-to-rim hike next year.

Back in the 80s my uncle and I walked down from the top and back out the same day iIRC somewhere around 14 hours on the way back up we found lots of friendly rocks to lean on. Damn we hurt the next day when we had to go back to Phoenix, he had to go to work and I had to climb on my Full dress 750 Honda the next day and ride back to Odessa TX. I really didn't find as funny as my Aunt made out it was when I tried to get out of the truck and my legs wouldn't straighten and ended up on the lawn

I went there over Memorial Day - it's awesome. Corona Virus made the tourist count manageable.

I went there over Memorial Day - it's awesome. Corona Virus made the tourist count manageable.

to the rim? They weren't doing any river trips in May thanks to Covid. The park service lifted those restrictions in mid june.

Just back from a 13 day oar trip down the canyon. If you ever get a chance to do this, DO IT! It's truly an amazing place. I've wheeled and camped all over both rims but never got to see the full length of the river (226 miles from Lee's Ferry to Diamond Creek). 12 nights sleeping under the stars with no light or noice pollution....just the river.

It was a good reset.

you gotta map of your trip?

sounds cool :smokin:

A guided trip will be between 3-7k depending on the craft and days spent on the river. 3k for a 9 day motor rig, 5k for 16 day oared raft and 7 for 16 dory trip.
A private trip is much cheaper. I was the trip leader on my girlfriends permit for 2018 .For 12 people the cost was 520$ a person not including your booze and transport to get to the river. I took a buddy that had only been on a few trips and he said "I couldnt of stayed home for 20 days for that price"

Last edited:
you gotta map of your trip?

sounds cool :smokin:

Find Lee's Ferry on a map - where 89A crosses Marble Canyon. Then Go west and Find Peach Springs, AZ to the west and look about 20 miles north of that.

Many years ago I hiked from the rim to the river during a 6 week stint in the desert. It was my first time experiencing sliding on ice and mule shit in the morning followed by sweltering heat and mule shit in the afternoon. Unparalleled. :flipoff2:

Was it a commercial or private trip, oar or motor powered? Post up some pics.

It was a commercial Oar trip.

Screw listening to a motor drone all the way down the canyon.

I'll put up a couple pics from my home pc when I get a chance.

My girl is above fascinated with the Grand Canyon. I so want to add a trip down the river next time.

Book a couple of nights at the Bar 10 Ranch... Splurge on round trip helicopter ride to the Colorado river. Peeps at the Bar 10 are the best and will treat you like family.
Please be respectful. (no cussing or spitting):smokin:

Top Back Refresh