What's new

Gotta love free food

This one you probably only want to eat a few fresh, or a small handful dried. Plan on not doing much after dinner.
1101162250.jpg

Big fungi fan from the Hoosier State here.
Years back, I lived in the PNW and the farmers market were the best I had ever been to.
TABLES and TABLES of morels.
I’ve never in my life seen so many types.
💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥

I have dry chanterelles and morels in the cupboard right now. Pick them, chicken of the woods, various boletes, puffballs, shrimp russula...my sense of smell is pretty much nuked, so I don't trust myself to ID pines.

Also pick wild blueberries, huckleberry, blackberry, strawberry, Salal berries, salmon berry and thimble berry when I'm hunting early season.

I tend to kinda browse through the woods during September.:laughing:

I have dry chanterelles and morels in the cupboard right now. Pick them, chicken of the woods, various boletes, puffballs, shrimp russula...my sense of smell is pretty much nuked, so I don't trust myself to ID pines.

Also pick wild blueberries, huckleberry, blackberry, strawberry, Salal berries, salmon berry and thimble berry when I'm hunting early season.

I tend to kinda browse through the woods during September.:laughing:
That is awesome man. I really want to try some chicken of the woods and puffballs, we can find pretty much any of the mushrooms you listed up in the mountains here in Arizona. I'm in an AZ mushroom group on FB and saw some folks holding 25+ lb. puffballs found this weekend.

My little brother hooked me up with these yesterday, picked from the forest on Saturday. Good old Lobster mushrooms, they sure are tasty!
68273796805--396EDF2D-A9D2-4721-8427-A844B4B5F121.jpg
IMG-5954.jpg

That is awesome man. I really want to try some chicken of the woods and puffballs, we can find pretty much any of the mushrooms you listed up in the mountains here in Arizona. I'm in an AZ mushroom group on FB and saw some folks holding 25+ lb. puffballs found this weekend.

My little brother hooked me up with these yesterday, picked from the forest on Saturday. Good old Lobster mushrooms, they sure are tasty!
68273796805--396EDF2D-A9D2-4721-8427-A844B4B5F121.jpg
IMG-5954.jpg

Nice! Love lobsters!
Had some morels with dinner last night, got half a dozen left in my lunch for today.

man, I have sooooo many mushrooms on my property. all different shapes, sizes, and colors. I'm not eating a single one. :laughing:

Cool thread. I got sent here from another thread where I posted these pics.

Fungus ID please? All three were found growing in the ground.

I didn't keep them, but will if I find some more, and they're edible.

P8220882.JPG
P8220885.JPG

I'm definitely no expert, but pretty damn sure the one on the left is a boletus aka bolete mushroom.

From the interwebs:

For the novice forager there are three rules of identification for edible Boletes that will keep you safe:

1. Make sure you have a Bolete, an upright mushroom with a stem and with sponge like pores instead of gills under the cap and growing in soil, not on wood.

2. If there is any red coloring on the mushroom, that includes the stem, pores or cap, avoid as this can be the sign of a toxic Bolete.

3. Slice the mushroom in half vertically, if the flesh turns vivid blue quickly after or immediately on cutting, again avoid due to possible toxicity. The pores on a few edible Boletes can discolor to green or blue but it is the flesh changing color rapidly that is a sign to avoid the mushroom.

P8220882.JPG
P8220885.JPG
The one on the left looks like a birch bolete. If it is, its edible and tasty. Most bolete are. Get them while they're fresh otherwise the worms will get them first. The straws or what you think of as gills are edible too but are really good dried and put into soup for flavor.
I'm not sure about the ones on the right. Looks like destroying angel which is bad. Very very bad. If they have a 'bulb' at the bottom in the ground that favors the Amanita family which is what a destroying Angel is. As a rule I stay far away from all white mushrooms with white gills. There's too many that are poisonous.
16613196908288652204445936509971.jpg

Never trust what some guy says though. Its a picture, so its hard.

I'd identify by environment, physical description and Spore print. After that I still need to be on a first name basis meaning I know what it is before I check, before I'll eat it. Use the names I gave to check for yourself.

A destroying angel will shut your liver down.

Not all blueing is bad.

As in Woods' mushroom? Yeah I wouldn't suggest that either. At least ask first, you never know.

Judging by this there's no use in asking. Lol
I mean mushrooms randomly growing in the woods. Was so wet here this fall that I had mushrooms growing in my gravel driveway and in the wood on the flatbed of my truck :eek:

Was so wet here this fall that I had mushrooms growing in my gravel driveway and in the wood on the flatbed of my truck :eek:
Its like that here too. Dont heat your house for a minute and they'll be growing out of the carpet.

There's a bunch of these in my yard, will these kill me?:homer:
PXL_20220910_162834665.MP.jpg
PXL_20220910_162832727.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_162832727.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220910_162834665.MP.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
All this talk about "delicious" and lobster and shit, and I'll gag if spaghetti sauce has mushrooms in it.

You're telling me that a mushroom can have a flavor besides buttered dirt, or a consistency different from a lukewarm oyster?

Somebody puts mushrooms in my enchiladas, they're getting a swift kick to the taint. How the fuck does that make sense?

There's a bunch of these in my yard, will these kill me?:homer:
Im leaning to bolteus pseudosensibilis if it's reddish at the base.
Or butter bolete. Check them against what you have for comparison.
Cut it and watch the bruising. See if the blue appears but goes away.
16629516682898516432989972861554.jpg

All this talk about "delicious" and lobster and shit, and I'll gag if spaghetti sauce has mushrooms in it.

You're telling me that a mushroom can have a flavor besides buttered dirt, or a consistency different from a lukewarm oyster?

Somebody puts mushrooms in my enchiladas, they're getting a swift kick to the taint. How the fuck does that make sense?
Its a nuance thing. There's some variance in flavors. Its kinda like a potato. Tastes like earth. But who eats plain potato? We add butter, salt, onion, garlic ect. When I cook mushrooms its always with butter, onions and garlic at minimum.

I totally get some people dont like em. A buddy of mine will puke even if he cant see them in the food and we dont tell him theres any in it.

Its a nuance thing. There's some variance in flavors. Its kinda like a potato. Tastes like earth. But who eats plain potato? We add butter, salt, onion, garlic ect. When I cook mushrooms its always with butter, onions and garlic at minimum.

I totally get some people dont like em. A buddy of mine will puke even if he cant see them in the food and we dont tell him theres any in it.

That makes sense. Never heard it put like that before.

Walked into a bumper crop of chanterelles. Picked about 15 lbs. so far, is there a preferred long term storage method, freeze vs. dry? For freezing it was recommended to saute first to pull the water out?

IMG_20230812_102701404x.jpg

IMG_20230812_102037480x.jpg

IMG_20230812_102825282_MPx.jpg

Top Back Refresh