What's new

Gotta love free food

jawzjeep

Blah blah blah yeah whatever
Member Number
Loc
Washington State
0610221744.jpg

Found a good bunch of prince mushrooms today. I love finding free food. Here in brainwashington we have quite the selection of mushroom species. This one not so common to find. These babies popped up for the 3rd year in a row. The 3 biggest ones are 9" across. Not sure what I'm going to make with them but I'm leaning towards some stroganoff. I'll dry sautee the rest and store em.

Last time I posted a pic of any of these somebody said it looked like a cartoon because the one I posted was over a foot across with a stock as thick as my arm. It was pretty crazy so I'll put another picture up
1006201911.jpg

1006202034.jpg

What kind of 'free' food do you find?

I was not being a dick , just teasing . I have 2 daughters of my own . I’m at a loss for words of what to say to that other than I am very sorry and cannot imagine what you’re going through .
No big deal. You're not the first person to give me a hard time about my bracelet or the last. Its an easy target.

I wear it with pride. But not the stupid pride of this month.

There's not much to say. Hug your kids. You never know. We found out when she was about 6 and we were told expect her to make it maybe 14. She's 14 now, and putting their best guesses to shame.

I felt bad enough for giving you a hard time that I told the old lady about it . I’m snuggling with the kids like every night before they go to sleep after doing our ritual “ hug , kiss , spin them around in the air “. That is my biggest fear and I would have a hard time functioning if I ever found something like that out .Mine are 5 and 7 and the future step daughter is 6. They are absolutely my entire world . I hope they’re wrong and she lives a long happy and prosperous life . I will pray for you and yours .

It changed my perception of what is or isn't important, that's for sure. But its a make lemonade out of lemons kinda thing.

Those where the best years I swear. In the last couple years I've been getting weaned off of our bedtime routine. And I'm not happy about it. Swinging them around and all that. It was the best.

I’m the guy that made the cartoon comment.
You don’t find edible mushrooms here in Alabama unless you are looking for the “fun” kind.

I’m the guy that made the cartoon comment.
You don’t find edible mushrooms here in Alabama unless you are looking for the “fun” kind.
You have some edibles there.
Cauliflower mushroom
Blewits
Chanterelles
Parasols
Boletes
Old man of the wood
Oyster
Lions mane
Hen of the wood
Coral

These are listed in the Alabama mushroom Society web page as edible. They may vary in location but it says you have them.

Disclaimer: don't eat wild mushrooms unless you're very familiar with what they are. 1 mushroom could be your last of its the wrong kind. We say "when in doubt, throw it out."

Just wait. Its all changing. Just like pot, its being researched for medicinal value and then it will be made for recreational use. Its already in practice in a few places now for PTSD among others.

Ifn you're ever in my neck of the wood look me up. I'll share. But you should have cubes in the early summer in your area.

Just wait. Its all changing. Just like pot, its being researched for medicinal value and then it will be made for recreational use. Its already in practice in a few places now for PTSD among others.

Ifn you're ever in my neck of the wood look me up. I'll share

:beer:

Impressive haul, can't believe how big those get! I'm a sucker for all mushrooms, we were at a local farmers market here in Phoenix a few months back and found someone selling morel's and other random types you don't usually see in the desert. Bought a pound of the morels, and holy shit I can see where all the hype comes from - they are delicious!

In regards to magic mushrooms, grow your own. :smokin: Spores were 'legal' to buy last I checked cause science, just 'illegal' to grow. Have known a few folks over the years that were growing cubes in their closets at home.

Thanks! The 2 biggest had 'friends' inside so they got put into the landscape. Morels are delicious. Around here they grow above the alpine line in spring or the following spring after a forest fire.

As far as fun mushrooms go, I agree. But there's a lot to it. You need to be clean to the point of sterile. There's more contamination inside your house than most people realize. And minimal air flow and holding air temp near 70 degrees just makes it worse. Throwing away all your jars because of contamination brings the suck.

Laws around here mostly have to do with possession and distribution. Its kind of hard to control where they pop up so they cant do much about it. For example they grow in the courthouse lawn due to fertilizer they put down. Its not like they're going to arrest themselves. It just is what it is. Just dont pick them since that's possession. Same with if they grow in your yard. It just is what it is. But in your closet? With maybe fridge? Ptek? Drying equipment? Fans and ventilation? That wont be considered to be just is what it is if you're picking up what I'm putting down.

My intense love of mushroom's is completely balanced out by my massive fear of eating the wrong one, so I stick to store bought, but its absolutely something I would like to learn more about.

Its easy to start. Theres so many kinds its best to focus on a single kind first. Choose one that grows in your area commonly and get familiar with it. What they call a 'first name basis'. There are many different ways to identify. And you should use more than 1 way. Most reference books give 4 our 5 different ways.

You could also go on a trip with your local mushroom club. It'll give you a chance to see and identify with people who know. And hopefully teach proper ways to pick and handle them. Learning how to take a spore print is pretty important for identification, but not the only way.

When choosing one to go after pick one that has few to none that are look alikes. It makes it easier at first. Or picking one that has obvious traits helps too.

We're funny people. Like a fisherman we're not likely to give up our 'honey hole'. 1 mushroom could be your last so be very sure. We say when in doubt, throw it out. Try small amounts of a mushroom the first time because you may react to it. Just because you ate it doesn't mean somebody else will be fine, they need to try a small amounts first too. Everybody can react different. There aren't as many mushrooms that can kill you as most think. Most mushrooms listed as poisonous will make you puke or shit yourself. Lastly, deadly mushrooms are only deadly when you eat them not handle them.

Happy hunting!

Oh yeah. Know where you are because we tend to stare at the ground wandering through the wood not telling people where we are. Real easy to get lost. Look up like shit which way did I come from?

Some porcini
In the 2nd pic the giant one was past prime but I brought it home to toss into the landscape.
0924201708.jpg

1633133805106.jpg

Do a gentle dry sauté to get as much water out as possible. Look it up if you dont know how.

Add some butter and onions and let the mushrooms soak up the butter. I usually add a tablespoon of butter at a time till they quit taking it. Depends on the mushroom.

Mushies dont take long to cook so when your onions are good so are they. S & P to taste.

21154.jpeg

Now go put this in whatever you're making.

Disclaimer- dont eat mushrooms you find unless you're certain of what they are blah, blah, blah whatever. This is a well known edible that is widely available even in stores.

Couple other edibles in my area

Winter chanterelles
23006.jpeg

Coral
1116211701.jpg

Cook em the same as described above.
The corals got added to my enchiladas
0306221929.jpg

The recipe is easy. Make enchiladas howeverthefawkyoudo and add mushrooms in it. Done.

Top Back Refresh