What's new

Good start for an RV conversion?

Andrew

Resident Redneck
Member Number
Looking to build an RV off a medium to heavy duty truck chassis. Found this listed locally, and am wondering if it would make a decent chassis?

My only real wants are diesel, and manual trans.

"International 4400 very clean zero rust 6 Speed Eaton transmission 411 gears dt466e engine 247000 miles air brakes runs great starts coldest days never been plugged in power windows power locks power mirrors cruise control..."
20201030_074422.jpg

My thoughts are, the chassis may be a bit short, and the DT466 may be a bit gutless, but its seemingly in good shape and within my budget.

The frame can always be extended if it is too short. Some of the 466's can be turned up (I believe, hearsay).
A lot of things will depend on what you are planning to do with it. Find a box off something like a u-haul, mount it and build the insides to your needs. It will probably handle that fine.

Finding a box truck setup would be nice. Plans would be for the RV only, not planning to tow anything with it.

Running a Rolloff truck at work makes me think how neat it would be to have a "rolloff" rv so, I would still have a usable truck as well, but that idea sounds like an absolute train wreck to accomplish nicely.

The issue with making the camper removable is securing it when its loaded, without compromising any of the under body components.
I built a camper in the front of a semi trailer. Simple. BUT, the water tanks, and electrical, and storage, and, and, and... They are all UNDER the trailer. If you use a box from a u-haul, or even a container (or similar), you either have to build the water tanks inside the box, with LQ on top (which would suck if you had to repair or replace a broken black water tank), or mount them UNDER the box (between frame rails, or saddle style tanks). Most of your RV conversions and toters are configured this way. My water tanks are in a compartment that is 2' tall, 8' wide, and about 8' deep. I have 2-48 gallon fresh tanks, 1-70 gal gray tank, and 1-70 gal black tank. I also have 4-6 volt batteries and the water pump mounted in this compartment.
If you were to build something similar INSIDE your box, it takes up a LOT of space. Sure, you can use smaller tanks, and get creative with plumbing, but it is still inside the living space with you.
If you build them outside of the box, it complicates making it removable.

The only way you could make a removable RV work would be to put a travel trailer on a roll-back deck, similar to the crawler haulers. Again, the issue will be securing it. And overall height.

The frame can always be extended if it is too short. Some of the 466's can be turned up (I believe, hearsay).
A lot of things will depend on what you are planning to do with it. Find a box off something like a u-haul, mount it and build the insides to your needs. It will probably handle that fine.

the electronic controlled ones are very difficult to change power levels on.
international will tell you that you have to do pistons and rods and a bunch of actual engine parts before they'll do the flash, and there's not really any aftermarket.

if you're ok with the current power it's fine.

Being a "rolloff" setup isnt a serious thought. I would essentially have to build a self contained RV inside a rolloff box...no thanks.

Are the Uhaul trucks expensive? That seems like a solid way to go. Take it from me, the guy way too lazy for any of that, that just went and bought a class C.

Are the Uhaul trucks expensive? That seems like a solid way to go. Take it from me, the guy way too lazy for any of that, that just went and bought a class C.

they're cheap, but they're also super low spec, and they're all big block gas motors since the JH diesels were retired.

There's a reason damn near everyone starts with a school bus given the option. It's the toughest box on wheels you can get and the cab is already integrated into the body. Failing that I'd try to get a step van chassis. While they're better than an RV box trucks are pretty floppy by comparison. The Uhaul box is the least floppy of the bunch but I'd still try to get a bus or a step van if you can swing it around the same budget.

they're cheap, but they're also super low spec, and they're all big block gas motors since the JH diesels were retired.

And they don't generally sell them until a major component is on its last legs. Expect to do an engine trans or some bitch of a job that requires spending a million man hours to replace a $5 part.

I have also looked into busses, but the lack of a manual trans makes it a buzz kill. I hate driving auto 10 wheeler.

I have also looked into busses, but the lack of a manual trans makes it a buzz kill. I hate driving auto 10 wheeler.

but it greatly improves later resale value and makes it so anyone can drive it if needed.

Penske still has diesel box trucks and they sell them at a certain mileage it has nothing to do with wear. The mileage is also a lot lower than you would think. Penske doesnt want any issues with break downs on their rentals. I looked at two when we moved very clean trucks but more than I wanted to spend so I rented one instead. Plan was to buy for the move then convert but life got in the way.

yeah, but they're freight height.
a big selling point for a uhaul is the low profile chassis.

without a doubt the penske trucks are not nearly the cheap piles of shit that uhauls are.

if I were to do it all over again I'd probably do a bus.

58868.jpeg
This is
58869.jpeg
what I did. 2001 Gillig Phantom, Cummins ISM, B400R trans

That looks like a city bus to me, do you have a plan on how to regear it for the highway?

But besides that what an amazing chassis to start with!

This one is a city bus from Seattle. They spec the big engines and the good transmissions and also have a good maintenance program. I was looking for a schoolie and happened across a FB add for this thing and became very entrigued. I went and talked to the guy that had just bought 5 of these, he owns a local party bus company that runs these exact buses. He spoke very good bus geek and I was hooked on this massive fucking bus.

Its basically off the shelf semi truck parts which are all pretty available. 40k chassis, weighs 28k with seats. I think I pulled 1500 lbs of seats out. 10.8L 300hp/1200 ft lbs (very derated for an ISM) 22.5 Alcoa, air ride, badass air brakes and a transmission retarder. The only real drawback is the lack of underbelly storage. There is about 22" depth of underbelly available for tanks, storage and hopefully generator.

I have big plans like skinning all the windows, full insulation, quality finishes inside and most likely a 10' outdoor kitchen. Its going to be a family highway hauler for the 5 of us. It is goverened at 65, which it can run at all day long. An option is to get the 6th gear unlocked in the Allison and the gov bumped to 70-75. Its super stable and just hums along at 65 though, not sure that I care.

I will start a thread when I actually make some progress worth sharing.

get the extra speed.

it's a drag to be passed by semis all the time in a big ass sail..

$5k if memeory serves. Got a bit sidetracked since checking out the add.

Top Back Refresh