What's new

Good budget sanding belts

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
Ok so I don't use it very often but I have a small air belt grinder that runs a 3/8 x 13" Belt . I got the belts with it from Harbor freight and they actually worked somewhat decent for the limited times I used this thing. Now I need to order some new belts and I went with the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon. Needless to say about 90% of them would break at the seam where they're glued together almost instantly. Now I don't want to spend the money on 3M cubitron belts but what ones have you guys used with decent success. Off Amazon is preferred for ease of ordering.

These are a FAIL. Amazon.com

If they worked well why not buy more HF belts? Surely they'll be a lot cheaper than McMaster or some other "reputable" source.

The 3/8x13 belt sander runs through belts really fast regardless of brand. I bought a bunch of cubitron for mine and it doesn't take long to eat through them grinding spot welds. If you care about belt life and it fits I would move to a 1/2x18 belt file.

^^^ this... I just went thru like 8 belts in about 5 minutes on a wheelwell seam. These belts were from Empire Abrasives. I did email them and ask if that sounded a bit odd since they didn't last any longer than the HF ones. They didn't come apart tho... they sent my entire order of that size back out to me.

In my experience, the high dollar belts are the better value. They may cost 10 or 20 times as much, but they last 30 times longer.

Edit: It's also my experience that those little belt filler things are pieces of shit and that for most tasks...there is a tool that works better.

Last edited:
Check Benchmark Abrasives. I have been happy with all of my purchases from them.
Another vote for Benchmark. I remember their specials and giveaways on the old site and have bought from them over the years. They don't seem to be over here? Roark is here, but I haven't bought from them yet.

These folks are about an hour from me and I stop in when I'm down that way to restock: Supergrit® Abrasives Sometimes you just need to see something firsthand to compare it or decide what you want. Their shipping costs aren't bad if you're stocking up - typically $12 flat rate, so don't plan on just buying a couple things. Also, check out their clearance deals. You can find some real scores there at times.

I agree with the others saying that the dirt cheap options will often cost you more money. The Shop I'm at is always trying to pinch every penny and more times than not it costs them more in labor time and downtime - not just the extra time it takes to grind/sand something down, but when they run out of something (because you're burning through consumables faster) then it takes them weeks to get around to reordering what is needed.

The 13" will eat belts. I have one and only use the high dollar 3m belts ant they still suck. Ditch the 13 and get a 18". White star had norton belts on the shelf a couple weeks ago for like 80 cents a piece so I bought a box of 50. Yup, they suck. I never cheap out on abrasives, the good shit always saves you money in the long run.

In my experience, the high dollar belts are the better value. They may cost 10 or 20 times as much, but they last 30 times longer.

Edit: It's also my experience that those little belt filler things are pieces of shit and that for most tasks...there is a tool that works better.

I have a Dynabrade #40610 belt filer thing and it's awesome. Use it all the time. It will get where a flap wheel can't. It IS the tool that there is no better option for when you need it.

Can't speak to the HF brand one. I'm sure it's worth what was paid for it.

I've found the house brand belts from Lehigh Valley to be high quality.

lehighvalleyabrasives.com

Top Back Refresh