What's new

GMT-800 Platform

Member Number
Loc
socal
In the market for a 4wd GMT-800 tahoe for a new family adventure vehicle. any benefits chasing a certain year or are they all the same?

In the market for a 4wd GMT-800 tahoe for a new family adventure vehicle. any benefits chasing a certain year or are they all the same?

03 & up had signals in mirrors and better interior options. Otherwise they're all pretty much the same. Difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton are HUGE, if 3/4 ton option pops up jump all over it

03-06 is more or less the same. 00-02 has an electrical system more closely related to the previous GMT-400s.

Both are easy to work on and relatively simple vehicles. I like the drive by cable engines of the earlier vehicles, but the later drive by wire engines make more power. Stabilitrak in those years was garbage. Avoid it if you can.

The 03+ trucks have gauge stepper motor issues, issues with the transfer case gear position sensor, issues with speakers dying on the non-bose models and issues with the brake switches. The older trucks have issues with the fuel gauge senders and speakers dying. The 03+ trucks have more comfortable seats IMO.

03 & up had signals in mirrors and better interior options. Otherwise they're all pretty much the same. Difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton are HUGE, if 3/4 ton option pops up jump all over it

They made 3/4 ton Tahoes?

What years went to the AFM design? Whatever year that is, stay the fuck away.

03+ have the stupid HVAC flapper deals that freak out all the time

What years went to the AFM design? Whatever year that is, stay the fuck away.

wifes has an 07 tahoe and it has that. it eats oil and i know eventually the valve train will give up the ghost. hopefully for the next owner and not me. plan is to can it at 150k. if it didnt have that i would probably buy her a new ride and use hers to execute the idea rolling around in my head.

wifes has an 07 tahoe and it has that. it eats oil and i know eventually the valve train will give up the ghost. hopefully for the next owner and not me. plan is to can it at 150k. if it didnt have that i would probably buy her a new ride and use hers to execute the idea rolling around in my head.

just turn off the afm.

03-06 is more or less the same. 00-02 has an electrical system more closely related to the previous GMT-400s.

Assuming you mean 99-02.

Small thing, but the 99-02 starter system is direct to the key and will start with a VERY lower battery whereas the 03+ will just shudder. My 01 LQ4 will start in the cold with a 5 year old walmart battery that BARELY rolls it over, as in it cranks slowly and then stops at TDC long enough that you have enough time to think "there is no way on earth I'm getting to work on time", then oliversutton it catches a cylinder and rolls to life in a fog of manifold tick coming from the hood.

99 Tahoe was still a GMT-400. The trucks changed over in 99, but the SUVs didn't change until 2000.

But yes, the electrical system in the earlier trucks is a lot simpler than the newer stuff with all the serial data being passed around and is more tolerant to batteries that should have been changed 4 years ago :flipoff2:

Assuming you mean 99-02.

Small thing, but the 99-02 starter system is direct to the key and will start with a VERY lower battery whereas the 03+ will just shudder. My 01 LQ4 will start in the cold with a 5 year old walmart battery that BARELY rolls it over, as in it cranks slowly and then stops at TDC long enough that you have enough time to think "there is no way on earth I'm getting to work on time", then oliversutton it catches a cylinder and rolls to life in a fog of manifold tick coming from the hood.

just like my dual fuel champion generator and my ve pump cummins :laughing::grinpimp:

Love my 01 Suburban. Stupid easy and cheap to work on. I've replaced a bunch of little shit on it since I've had it and I'm probably under $200 in maintenance including oil changes. Only stuff it needs now is an ABS sensor and the intake manifold gaskets replaced, but I've driven so little lately I haven't bothered. The intake gasket is really only an issue when it's super cold out until the motor heats up and even then it's only annoying.

Love my 01 Suburban. Stupid easy and cheap to work on. I've replaced a bunch of little shit on it since I've had it and I'm probably under $200 in maintenance including oil changes. Only stuff it needs now is an ABS sensor and the intake manifold gaskets replaced, but I've driven so little lately I haven't bothered. The intake gasket is really only an issue when it's super cold out until the motor heats up and even then it's only annoying.

Don't let it go too long, a friend's parents 6.0 melted a cat and plugged the exhaust from letting it go too long.

just find the cleanest one, your looking at a 15+ y/o vehicle.

GM hasn't made a vehicle worth owning since.

Don't let it go too long, a friend's parents 6.0 melted a cat and plugged the exhaust from letting it go too long.

I'm not that worried about it, I've probably only put 1000 miles on it in the last year since I work from home now and everything around here is still shut down. I drive it to the grocery store 2 miles way like every other week and my parent's house 5 miles away maybe 2-3 times a month. I'll probably take care of it when it warms up again outside.

Top Back Refresh